Cowboys

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
Saw a friend of mine this evening at the gas station. He had 3 young boys that I'd guess are under 12 years old and 4 horses with him. I don't see him very often anymore and when I ask where he was headed the youngest boy said excitedly "we gotta catch a cow on the side of the road". While this isn't uncommon in my area we see it way less than we did 10 years ago. Made me happy to see those gets ready to saddle up. Got me wondering how much of this yall see in your area these days?

One of my employees and his brother (mid 20s) catch cows off the road for the sheriffs department.
Hes a educated welder and that's what he's on the payroll for but his ability with a horse and rope comes in handy from time to time.
My front gate camera of the young man showing up for work
I think either his truck broke down or he's training horse for someone. Both happen pretty regularly..lolScreenshot_20230218-071312.jpg

Last edited:
There aren't many young kids around here but the ones that there are certainly cowboy up. The kid in the picture had spent the morning helping gather cows off the range horse back. The cows were all in my corral and he was too young to be in there so he was hanging out waiting for Dad. This was during covid and school was shut down. So he spent pretty much all day every day cowboying. He had a string of 3 horses he was riding (can't ride the same horse everyday). Might note a 8 year old wearing spurs.

P7162054.JPG

P7162054.JPG
Remember back not that many years ago.. when we too could jump off a trailer like that??

There is a young girl here about the same age as that boy. She helps her dad all the time. She ropes at the brandings and is a pretty good roper. One day at B's we were branding a few (50 or so). It was windy the guys (early 20's) were having trouble catching. B loudly asked them if he should call this girl and see if she was busy? They looked insulted but did get a bit more serious about their job. Maybe this spring I will get a picture of her.

Don't leave out the cowgirls. We have some very capable young ladies around here.
A friend of mine called me earlier to ask something about the auto transfer switch on a fancy horse trailer. His 16 yo daughter is roping in a rodeo this weekend. She is a pretty handy young lady and an all around good hand on the ranch.

theres several around, a lot of them post at the stockyards..and a few work there..went a couple times with a roping buddy..he was slow at everything he done..but he went wide open catching cattle..I'm surprised he's still around..he's in his 70s now..

Saw a friend of mine this evening at the gas station. He had 3 young boys that I'd guess are under 12 years old and 4 horses with him. I don't see him very often anymore and when I ask where he was headed the youngest boy said excitedly "we gotta catch a cow on the side of the road". While this isn't uncommon in my area we see it way less than we did 10 years ago. Made me happy to see those gets ready to saddle up. Got me wondering how much of this yall see in your area these days?
Last night in Ft Worth was the World's Greatest Horseman Finals, both the open and the youth. They compete in 4 events, steer stopping, reining, herd work nd fence work. The kids were great and really had great runs and the open was nothing but incredible as the most talented cowboys and cowgirls competed. If you get a chance to see it on the internet it is worth watching especially the winning run of the fence work

Not just working cattle. Today my little cowboys were helping their dad and another friend of ours welding & reconfiguring the corral at the barn. Because that's what these 15-year-old boys do.

Attachments

• IMG_20230219_151042852.jpg
    IMG_20230219_151042852.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230219_154743410.jpg
    IMG_20230219_154743410.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230219_154832149.jpg
    IMG_20230219_154832149.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15

Latest posts