Yesteryear Cowboys

Help Support CattleToday:

In my experience western bar fights are greatly enjoyed from a distance. :)

I looked at those buckeroo boots for sale at Long Creek Outfitter. Yes the square toes look horrible. Round toes look funny too. What ever happened to pointy toe cockroach killers? You could easily find your stirrups with those.

Only the men's buckeroos had the stacked leather riding heels where you could rest a spur. Womens are 12" tall and had 1 1/2" plastic heels and most as gaudy as a carnival show.
What is with these 16" tall boots? What are you supposed to do? Tuck your pants legs in? Seems like that would be those going to gay bars.

I looked at those buckeroo boots for sale at Long Creek Outfitter. Yes the square toes look horrible. Round toes look funny too. What ever happened to pointy toe cockroach killers? You could easily find your stirrups with those.

Only the men's buckeroos had the stacked leather riding heels where you could rest a spur. Womens are 12" tall and had 1 1/2" plastic heels and most as gaudy as a carnival show.
What is with these 16" tall boots? What are you supposed to do? Tuck your pants legs in? Seems like that would be those going to gay bars.
Semi-custom boot maker here https://beckboots.com/ Can order off the shelf or select options including an undershot riding heel and spur ledge. No real pointy toes. I'm partial to the wide square toes myself - more room for my toes and better for straight on kicking field goals.

I actually like those tall tops. When I went off to basic training I wore my cowboy boots and hat. Needless to say I stuck out like a sore thumb. At my AIT there was a black city kid that could not understand how I could walk in those boots. Standing next to them the tops came above my knees. Those high tops really blew his mind; probably the first time he ever met a country boy. I can't remember his exact words any more, but he kept going round and round on how he couldn't under how I could wear them boots.

I bet it did. Dad has had a broken collarbone, leg, arm, ribs and a foot; you name it he probably broke it. The foot happened when he was ride for Greaves out on the Red Desert; he had a horse fall on him. He had just gotten a new pair of boots just before that happened and he told Duane to pull that boot off no matter how much he yelled. He was not going to have a doctor cut off that brand new boot. Dad even had his ear kicked off, it was just dangling by a piece of skin; they sewed it back on and he was good as new. Uncle Duane broke both bones in his leg at Cheyenne Frontier Days. I vagally remember his hobbling around; his ex wife left him while he was laid up.

As a teenager, knew an older guy (W.O. Hutson) that was once a pretty good bronc and bulldogger till one day the steer slowed up suddenly, he missed and ended up on the ground just in front of the steer. Steer, his horse and the haze horse all ran over him. Broken ribs, guts injured inside and a crushed jaw. Weren't a real handsome guy before that but sure didn't help his looks afterwards. Worse part he couldn't keep tobacco inside his mouth...juice all kept drooling out badly but he was a really nice guy as was his son Dink. .

Oh that is a terrible wreck.

Are the 16" boots worn with the pants tucked in? I used to ride in 12" cowboy boots but the pants were not tucked in. I have tall English riding boots and they are worn pants leg tucked in.

When I went off to basic training I wore my cowboy boots and hat.
Every single item I wore or took to boot camp got boxed up within the 1st hour or 2 and sent back home, and I mean down to and including underwear and socks (except 1 religious book such as a bible and maybe a religious piece of jewelry like a cross and ya better not let that cross be seen outside your tee shirt unless ya wanted it ripped right off from around your neck by the DI)

Oh that is a terrible wreck.

Are the 16" boots worn with the pants tucked in? I used to ride in 12" cowboy boots but the pants were not tucked in. I have tall English riding boots and they are worn pants leg tucked in.
Never in my life have I ever been guilty of wearing pants inside my boots except tall rubber waders. Yep, got lots of mud and cow shite on my jeans cuffs but some things ya just don't do.

Thank the lord. If I saw a man those high boots tucked in my g _ ydar would go off.

In Oregon I wear knee high rubber boots more than half the year. Sometimes such a sucking quagmire have to pull my boots top up with my hands

Every single item I wore or took to boot camp got boxed up within the 1st hour or 2 and sent back home, and I mean down to and including underwear and socks (except 1 religious book such as a bible and maybe a religious piece of jewelry like a cross and ya better not let that cross be seen outside your tee shirt unless ya wanted it ripped right off from around your neck by the DI)
Mine was put in storage until the end of basic, I was told not to wear the cowboy hat on the bus ride from Fort Jackson to Fort Gordon. After the first two weeks at my AIT we were allowed to wear our civilian clothes. Once I got done with my AIT I went back to my National Guard Unit in Northwest Colorado.

I never wear jeans inside my boots. I have heard about someone either grinding or welding and because they had their jeans inside their boots they had some slag go down in their boots. I guess they got a pretty good burn on their foot.

It sure seems to me that no one except drug store cowboys wear their pants inside their boots. But I'm reading Horse Tradin' by Ben Green which is surely about real cowboys and this is the first picture in the first chapter.
100_2466.JPG
This is supposed to be him at age 16. The mare is not dead. He traded some gypsys for her and as soon as girthed up she would lay down and refuse to get up. Note boots.

It sure seems to me that no one except drug store cowboys wear their pants inside their boots. But I'm reading Horse Tradin' by Ben Green which is surely about real cowboys and this is the first picture in the first chapter.
View attachment 42240
This is supposed to be him at age 16. The mare is not dead. He traded some gypsys for her and as soon as girthed up she would lay down and refuse to get up. Note boots.
My folks had an old guy name'a Zip that helped around the ranch and he lived in a sheep camp. He trained horses and mules, and he had two mules that pulled his camp. He sported the longest mustaches I ever saw, twisted tight with wax to each side and tilted up at a 45 degree angle. And he wore the tallest boots I've ever seen with his pants tucked inside.

He claimed that mule skinners wore their boots that way. He also had all kinds of knowledge about hats and what hat styles meant. Each different style meant to tell what job someone had in the cowboy world.

Pretty interesting old guy. I was too young to really get to know him, but the folks told a lot of stories...

I have seen people with fairly high boots tuck the pants in when it is rainy and muddy or a lot or corral is mucky. Also if they had pistol-legged jeans, they don't have much choice. You quit seeing that as much once they started making boot-cut jeans. except in bad weather. Also, the fenders rubbing can get your jeans oily, dirty, and worn when you aren't wearing chaps, so that's anther reason to tuck them while you ride.

There are a lot of buckaroos and Texas cowboys who tuck pant legs in boots for riding. Usually covered by chaps. Chinks may be a little short and allow stickers in, but the chinks guys usually aren't in the big brush.

Dadgummed mesquite. My husband knew guys in south Texas riding pastures so dense they had to shoot cows with rat shot to get them out. One time he saw a bunch of cowboys driving a big herd of wild cows along a fence line at top speed. Brought the whole bunch out of the brush The cattle came to a wide chute that got narrower and narrower so that the whole herd had to jump off and swim though a big tank of tick dip.

View attachment 42240
I've seen lots of real cowboys with pants legs tucked in, that's even how Gus McRae wore em. Around here you'll see lot's of cowboys and farmers wearing their boots with pants in them, not tucked in, more of just put the boots on and didn't take the time to pull the legs down over them. I do that pretty regularly, just grab my boots and pull them on.

If I did not have my pants inside my boots for five months of the year, the lower pant legs would be soaked with mud and manure. I would hate to bring them in the house to my wife. I try and stay on her good side.

Check this out. A new type of cowboy rubber muck boot that has riding heels. The Quantro Ranchero. Give this link enough time to load the picture.
$183.00 for a rubber boot??? Did I read that right? Even my swear word vocabulary is a little stunned into silence at that price...

Latest posts