Cowboys

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas said:
True Grit Farms said:
I've never been a real cowboy but I've been dressing like one before I could put my own boots on. I wear a hat as much as possible and prefer a cowboy hat. If it's not raining I'll be wearing a cowboy hat and boots in Kentucky on the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd at the farm show. :cboy:
Then your gonna be late because the farm show is the 13th-16th

lol

kenny thomas said:
True Grit Farms said:
I've never been a real cowboy but I've been dressing like one before I could put my own boots on. I wear a hat as much as possible and prefer a cowboy hat. If it's not raining I'll be wearing a cowboy hat and boots in Kentucky on the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd at the farm show. :cboy:
Then your gonna be late because the farm show is the 13th-16th

Our hotel reservations are on 14th and 15th, my CRS strikes again Kenny.

CRS is a bit$ch.
I always considered being called a cowboy/cowgirl was a GOOD thing. My husband was a cowboy- from Kansas. We had a lot of friends back there that I considered cowboys. Hubby wore a cb hat & boots pretty much all the time - except doing chores in the winter.

I'm from KY, and I'm certainly not a cowboy; however, there is a family from Texas who bought around three acres down the road from me about 8 years ago. The dad wears a cowboy hat in town, and says he was a cowboy in Texas. They usually keep a cow and a horse tied to a pole in the back yard. His place looks like a cross between Green Acres and a salvage yard. Something really interesting was when the local paper did a short story on him and he said the name of his place was "The Rocking R Ranch."

Dave said:
And I am certain that there are a good number of people here who have never got to know a real American Cowboy.

Are they that much different from a real Canadian Cowboy? Because I know a few of those... ;-)

I don't know what makes a cowboy, but I'll tell you this. In my little corner of the world, I never got waved at when hauling my little bales of hay, on my little trailer, with my little pickup. Now that I have a bigger pickup and trailer and haul bigger bales, I always get a "wave",from the local big shots. I also give them a "wave", maybe only mentally, but I don't need anyones approval. It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

snoopdog said:
I don't know what makes a cowboy, but I'll tell you this. In my little corner of the world, I never got waved at when hauling my little bales of hay, on my little trailer, with my little pickup. Now that I have a bigger pickup and trailer and haul bigger bales, I always get a "wave",from the local big shots. I also give them a "wave", maybe only mentally, but I don't need anyones approval. It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
its all perception I guess..I've been behind guys at the unload lane at the stockyard,that their rig looked like something that could fly all to pieces any minute..only to unload some of the best calve there..

Personally I don't have a lot of use for the label. I grew up on horseback, started colts, worked cows from horseback, never did become a real pasture roping hand. Roped in the branding corral since I could swing a rope. It's just stuff we did to get a job done. As far as I'm concerned the goal was to be a cattleman. That's a work in progress, hopefully I'll attain the credentials one day.

Silver said:
Personally I don't have a lot of use for the label. I grew up on horseback, started colts, worked cows from horseback, never did become a real pasture roping hand. Roped in the branding corral since I could swing a rope. It's just stuff we did to get a job done. As far as I'm concerned the goal was to be a cattleman. That's a work in progress, hopefully I'll attain the credentials one day.

+1

greybeard said:
I was still in South La working the oilfield when that stupid Urban Cowboy movie thing came out & I thought it was the worst abomination of what Texas really is and I'm glad it finally died out.

I remember the cowboy hat craze here in Ky. It was at its hottest in 1981. I remember going to the county fair, and there probably wasn't 5 people there who didn't have on a cowboy hat, and I have to admit, I had one in too. :oops:
Cowboy hats were sold in every department store in town. I remember Big K had an entire isle of cowboy hats.

Other than that short time period, I have to go with Bright Raven; people think you're trick or treating if you have one on here in Ky. They are accepted if people wear them for occasions like rodeos, cattle auctions, horse shows, and such things as that. I also notice people wearing hats to protect them from the sun. But if someone has one on just because they think it looks cool in everyday life, someone usually calls the padded wagon.

herofan said:
greybeard said:
I was still in South La working the oilfield when that stupid Urban Cowboy movie thing came out & I thought it was the worst abomination of what Texas really is and I'm glad it finally died out.

I remember the cowboy hat craze here in Ky. It was at its hottest in 1981. I remember going to the county fair, and there probably wasn't 5 people there who didn't have on a cowboy hat, and I have to admit, I had one on too. :oops:
Cowboy hats were sold in every department store in town. I remember Big K had an entire isle of cowboy hats.

Other than that short time period, I have to go with Bright Raven; people think you're trick or treating if you have one on here in Ky. They are accepted if people wear them for occasions like rodeos, cattle auctions, horse shows, and such things as that. I also notice people wearing hats to protect them from the sun. But if someone has one on just because they think it looks cool in everyday life, someone usually calls the padded wagon.

I'm in a Cook Out restraunt in Murray Ky wearing a Black felt hat, pearl snaps, and rock cutter spurs. Grown man in here, left the house in a pair of sweat pants. Shame on him.

Bigfoot said:
I'm in a Cook Out restraunt in Murray Ky wearing a Black felt hat, pearl snaps, and rock cutter spurs. Grown man in here, left the house in a pair of sweat pants. Shame on him.

You never know by what he wears, he might be a decorated War Veteran or a Presidential Body Guard.

This was almost 50 years ago. The Clint Eastwood movie, Fist Full of Dollars, had just come out. . My Uncle came up to the farm from Newport which we thought was a big city and it was to us. He got out of his Ninety Eight Oldsmobile. He had on a cheap Cowboy hat, a red scarf around his neck and a parodi cigar in his mouth like Clint Eastword smoked in his spaghetti westerns. He opened the trunk and strapped on his Ruger Blackhawk .44 magnum in a nice Don Hume holster. He turned around to face me, my two brothers and dad. It was the funniest sight I ever remember. Dad laughed so hard he was rolling on the ground.

Bigfoot said:

Probably thinking what kinda wingnut
Wears Spurs in a cafe and doesn't take his hat off at the table..... ;-)

callmefence said:
Bigfoot said:

Probably thinking what kinda wingnut
Wears Spurs in a cafe and doesn't take his hat off at the table..... ;-)

Those poor chairs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jw35fuY1-c

Years ago my friend showed Limousine cattle, we saw Apollo Creed (Carl Weathers) at the show with his cattle.

He was dressed to the hilt head to toe as a cowboy, was quite funny actually. Seams like his cattle had "bean" in the name if I remember correctly .

Latest posts