Cowboys

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
A statement made in another post made me think long and hard on how to make a reply or if I should just let it run off my back. I felt that statement put cowboys in a bad light. I generally feel insulted when I think someone is insulting cowboys or misusing the term cowboy. Personally I don't know if I am a cowboy but I have tried to be one all my life. I certainly have known some by gosh real cowboys. Where I live now over 50% of the people living within a 25 mile radius are cowboys. I said people on purpose because cowboy is not a gender specific term. Some of the best cowboys I have ever known were female.
So today while waiting at the auto repair shop I was reading J. Evetts Haley's book about Charlie Goodnight. I came on to a statement about cowboys that was true in 1881 when the story told occurred. It was true in 1936 when Mr. Haley wrote the book. And it holds true to this day. It reads; "Cowboys, as a breed, will quietly and generously help any man out of a jackpot if he indicates a desire to be helped, but they abandon the smart, cocksure individual to his own fate as quickly as they can get rid of him."
Those who don't know cowboys should avoid taking shots at them. I don't know anyone here personally but I am fairly certain that the number of cowboys here is limited. And I am certain that there are a good number of people here who have never got to know a real American Cowboy.

Dave said:
A statement made in another post made me think long and hard on how to make a reply or if I should just let it run off my back. I felt that statement put cowboys in a bad light. I generally feel insulted when I think someone is insulting cowboys or misusing the term cowboy. Personally I don't know if I am a cowboy but I have tried to be one all my life. I certainly have known some by gosh real cowboys. Where I live now over 50% of the people living within a 25 mile radius are cowboys. I said people on purpose because cowboy is not a gender specific term. Some of the best cowboys I have ever known were female.
So today while waiting at the auto repair shop I was reading J. Evetts Haley's book about Charlie Goodnight. I came on to a statement about cowboys that was true in 1881 when the story told occurred. It was true in 1936 when Mr. Haley wrote the book. And it holds true to this day. It reads; "Cowboys, as a breed, will quietly and generously help any man out of a jackpot if he indicates a desire to be helped, but they abandon the smart, cocksure individual to his own fate as quickly as they can get rid of him."
Those who don't know cowboys should avoid taking shots at them. I don't know anyone here personally but I am fairly certain that the number of cowboys here is limited. And I am certain that there are a good number of people here who have never got to know a real American Cowboy.
That's their loss.

1. The cowboy must never shoot first ,hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.
3. He must always tell the truth.
4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly and animals.
5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
6. He must help people in distress.
7. He must be a good worker.
8. He must keep himself clean in thought , speech, action and personal habits.
9. He must respect women, parents and his nations laws.
10. The cowboy is a patriot.
Whose Cowboy Code was this? :cboy: :cowboy: Hint famous movie star :cboy: :cowboy:

Dave said:
I know one. Dave Glasier out of Parma but originally northern Nevada. Everyone knows Dave, wouldn't surprise me if you did. He's got some killer stories.

Romanticism. It is a sweet gift.

Dave, have you ever gotten to know a "Real Kentucky Coal Miner"? I guarant [damm] tee you, there ain't many on this forum. One that crawls into the bowels of the earth everyday. Comes out with two white eyes shining in a black face. Stops by the bar on the way home and drinks until he has washed away the darkness.

A person's vocation or trade does not make him a virtuous person. If you want to define virtue as being a COWBOY, then there are cowboys working in steel mills, banks and yes, even in government agencies.

You are going a tiny bit over board on the semantics of that statement in the other thread.

Not sure why, but I'm offended by people who think they are a cowboy. It's hard to walk, without stepping on one here. If you paint with a broad brush, then yes we do have a few cowboys here. It ain't 1 out of a 100 that actually are. Before TT ask, I am in the 99.

Bright Raven said:

Dave, have you ever gotten to know a "Real Kentucky Coal Miner"? I guarant [damm] tee you, there ain't many on this forum. One that crawls into the bowels of the earth everyday. Comes out with two white eyes shining in a black face. Stops by the bar on the way home and drinks until he has washed away the darkness.

A person's vocation or trade does not make him a virtuous person. If you want to define virtue as being a COWBOY, then there are cowboys working in steel mills, banks and yes, even in government agencies.

You are going a tiny bit over board on the semantics of that statement in the other thread.

Wondering what a coal miner has to do with someone being a Cowboy? I would hope Cowboys work in all the vocations you listed and many more, possibly even dig coal. I must have missed the statement the OP is talking about but I do know allot of folks on here don't like the term Cowboy being used......kinda strange....really strange seeing how this is a forum about cattle.

Bigfoot said:
Not sure why, but I'm offended by people who think they are a cowboy. It's hard to walk, without stepping on one here. If you paint with a broad brush, then yes we do have a few cowboys here. It ain't 1 out of a 100 that actually are. Before TT ask, I am in the 99.

Based on the criteria posted above I'd say you're as close to the real deal as I know Bigfoot.

cowboy43 said:
1. The cowboy must never shoot first ,hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.
2. He must never go back on his word, or a trust confided in him.
3. He must always tell the truth.
4. He must be gentle with children, the elderly and animals.
5. He must not advocate or possess racially or religiously intolerant ideas.
6. He must help people in distress.
7. He must be a good worker.
8. He must keep himself clean in thought , speech, action and personal habits.
9. He must respect women, parents and his nations laws.
10. The cowboy is a patriot.
Whose Cowboy Code was this? :cboy: :cowboy: Hint famous movie star :cboy: :cowboy:

Gene Autry

This is awesome. Just think, the next great country song could be about how a coal miner whipped a cowboys a$$, and took his woman away. Old Crow, where do you come up with this stuff?

Lucky said:
Bright Raven said:

Wondering what a coal miner has to do with someone being a Cowboy? I would hope Cowboys work in all the vocations you listed and many more, possibly even dig coal. I must have missed the statement the OP is talking about but I do know allot of folks on here don't like the term Cowboy being used......kinda strange....really strange seeing how this is a forum about cattle.

There is a difference in being a Cattleman or a Cowboy .

How many cattle must one herd/handle/lasso/poke/drive on horseback before one is considered a Cowboy? Can one be a 'hobby' cowboy? :???:

Do you have to ride a horse or is a Kawasaki Mule loaded with tools, firewood and beer acceptable?

People ask me what I do for a living I say whatever it takes. Then usually go ahead and say I build fence and raise cattle.
I ain't a farmer, just a grass grower, I ain't a rancher.... don't have enough ground in one spot. A cowboy.....idk. I dam sure was raised by one, and I dam sure raised one. We are definitely rough around the edges. Well maybe rough all the way through. But we're honest and don't rely on anything but us. We work everyday together as a family and usually eat dinner together. If we need a break from the rock pile where working on this week. Tommorow we may just go work somewhere else. But we will be working.

Oh yeah.....a cowboy takes care of cattle.... simple as that

In 1958, you couldn't find a farmer in Kentucky who wore a Cowboy hat or Cowboy boots. I will bet Bigfoot a steak that his Grandpa and father never wore a Cowboy hat at least not as young men. Maybe they got caught up in the fad later. If my dad would have walked into the feed store in Mayslick, Kentucky in 1968 wearing a Cowboy Hat and Cowboy boots, every other person in the store would have thought he was Trick or Treating. I see Charlie Boyd at the Mayslick Mill. He wears a ball cap. I visit the Rocking P folks, they wear ball caps. Roy Canada wears a ball cap.

I was surprised when I saw the first picture of Bigfoot. He had a Cowboy Hat on. I go to the Boyd Sale. Charlie I think puts on a Cowboy Hat for that event. Chan Phillips puts on a Cowboy Hat when he is a judge at cattle shows. Just for "Show".

Being a Cowboy is not something you hear in Kentucky. We are farmers. Always have been. We went from Coonskin Caps to baseball caps. The Cowboy thing is a recent fad.

Dave said:
Knowing the ones that put them in a bad light,, amounts too absolutely nothing...

Bright Raven said:
In 1958, you couldn't find a farmer in Kentucky who wore a Cowboy hat or Cowboy boots. I will bet Bigfoot a steak that his Grandpa and father never wore a Cowboy hat at least not as young men. Maybe they got caught up in the fad later. If my dad would have walked into the feed store in Mayslick, Kentucky in 1968 wearing a Cowboy Hat and Cowboy boots, every other person in the store would have thought he was Trick or Treating. I see Charlie Boyd at the Mayslick Mill. He wears a ball cap. I visit the Rocking P folks, they wear ball caps. Roy Canada wears a ball cap.

I was surprised when I saw the first picture of Bigfoot. He had a Cowboy Hat on. I go to the Boyd Sale. Charlie I think puts on a Cowboy Hat for that event. Chan Phillips puts on a Cowboy Hat when he is a judge at cattle shows. Just for "Show".

Being a Cowboy is not something you hear in Kentucky. We are farmers. Always have been. We went from Coonskin Caps to baseball caps. The Cowboy thing is a recent fad.

I'm not sure what your point is. I'm in central Texas and everyone where's cowboy hats. I've worn mine twice in the last four years. When we buried Red, and when we buried David.
I certainly don't think more or less of anyone by their hat. I just prefer a ball cap. Maybe you should get one and you could spend less time on your hair...... :D