Breeds you have quit raising?

Help Support CattleToday:

purecountry":3nq6ycq2 said:
SEC":3nq6ycq2 said:
PC, what do you get from the Galloways that you couldn't get from the Angus cattle.

Double hair coat, hundreds of years of consistency that was never bred out of them, more moderate frame(consistently), easier fleshing on average, easier calving, no breeders in my area and an increasing demand for breeding stock. If I had to pick one thing though, it would be the fact that they were never stripped of what made them great, by chasing the fads of the showring too much. As I said before, consistency. ;-)

How do they handle the heat? Do they slick off?

They are a breed that I have admired, just hard getting my head around all the hair. Not that it's a big issue really

Good to hear things are working out.

switched from limousin to murray grey, love the murrays. liked the limousin, too, but wanted to get into producing better tasting beef on less grass.......................course my age had something to do with it , too

Like purecountry, we quit the Angus b/c everybody had them and you are a very small fish in a very large pond when trying to market bulls. Also, they have more temperment issues and our kids were going to start showing. We got some recips from Transova that are big Angus cows and they are nut jobs. Can't wait to sell them. Hopefully they don't ruin the calves.

Registered Black angus- I'm not a good enough politician for them. Still have a few but they were the best of what I had. I really like my Red Polls now.

sodfarmer490":xbiqzm4h said:
switched from limousin to murray grey, love the murrays. liked the limousin, too, but wanted to get into producing better tasting beef on less grass.......................course my age had something to do with it , too

Sodfarmer, did you ever try crossing your MGs and limos? Brilliant cross :D

Keren":2v11dkkl said:
sodfarmer490":2v11dkkl said:

Sodfarmer, did you ever try crossing your MGs and limos? Brilliant cross :D

Keren, nope, i was raising a big herd of all purebred limos, so just dispersed them to retire, but you know how that goes, you absolutely cannot retire farmer. but yes, i think they would cross well with murrays.

herefords- udder quality, milking ability, sale price

simmentals- too framey, rat tails, large birth weights

charolais- rat tails, sale price, calving problems

We didn't raise them really buy we used to run Maine Anjou Bulls with our cows for terminal calves.Liked a majority of the calves but the bulls just seemed to suffer from leg injuries far to often and the calves would come out a bit to posty for us. Neighbor has all the luck in the world with them but he is pursuing show animals and we sure aren't here, not willing or able to put in that kind of work and marketing.

Last season I ran them we had more calving problems than usual as well but I think that was a winter weather and over conditioned cow situation as the cows bred to straight brit bulls had more problems than usual as well..

charlois and simmental.
We decided we would rather have a little easier calving season so we went angus. Plus we wanted to work toward uniformity. Rather than have one herford, one angus, one charlois bull per season we went to all angus.
Here simmentals don't do so well and the angus seem hardy for our winters

Latest posts