Raising Longhons

Help Support CattleToday:

Tough crowd.

I've seen LH x MG and LH x Angus. The LH x beef breed will produce a larger carcass by far if you intend to also produce meat but you may loose the horns and the color. Seems like you will have some things to think on.

Is having a couple colorful LH steers mixed in with some other beef cattle the best way to go or would you like an all LH herd?

There are pros and cons to each choice.

What I like in our herd is diversity. We have almost all registered stock. The few that aren't registered are being used for ET. We have all polled animals (personal choice that I don't like dealing with animals with horns) but we do have a few PB Charolais, Simmental, Angus but mostly we have Murray greys. Light silver, silver, dun, dark grey (brown), and black. They can have dapples too.

I'm sure you will get lots of advise and things to think on but when it comes down to it- you may want to consider diversity within your start up herd until you get well established.

A couple of trophy steers for ornaments and some colorful hair sheep for looks and maybe make a buck.

We acquired some LH with a property a while back. I'm going to keep a couple of the big cows and a big steer in a smaller trap up by the house. I'm hoping to relocate the younger cows and bulls.

If you want some LH let me know and I can probably get you in the business, quick.😄

They are gentle but I cant get use to the big horns swinging around.

20220619_132707.jpg

Last edited:
We acquired some LH with a property a while back. I'm going to keep a couple of the big cows and a big steer in a smaller trap up by the house. I'm hoping to relocate the younger cows and bulls.

If you want some LH let me know and I can probably get you in the business, quick.😄

They are gentle but I cant get use to the big horns swinging around.

View attachment 18134
How many head?

Welcome to the forum Bedlington. I don't think you will get too many knockers of Longhorns here, quite a few people have some Longhorns or their crosses and most people respect their reason for having them. I still can't get my head around how they get them through their working facilities without getting the horns caught up.

Ken
they are like cats, they are lithe and graceful. it is so cool to watch them maneuver through narrow spots. they do it in thick brush too.

I've never raised longhorns although had a few crossbreeds. But with my An Sci background and an interest in breeds I've studied just about every breed to some extent. Of course some of what I knew may be out of date by this time. The big bonus with the breed is their longevity, IMO. They mature later so breed a year later as an average than most breeds. But they also live quite a bit longer and produce more calves over time because of it. Replacement costs are a big hidden expense with cattle so longhorns can be good in that respect.
Another great aspect of the breed is they tend to calve easily. Long, thin calves with small heads.
Personally, with this fascination with black hides and the prices black gets compared to varied hides I'd find a good homozygous, polled, black bull and raise black calves to be sold.
The other option is to go purebred and advertise to city people that want to brag to their friends about the grass fed lean meat in their freezer. That's a niche market but it can be done if you are anywhere close to a larger city and have a good relationship with a high quality processor. I wouldn't count on making a living selling purebred stock, so wouldn't pay big dollars for animals, but you might sell a few that way.
I think the horns would be a real pain in the a**, and that's the main reason I never got into them. But I like the look...

And where are you?
North East Texas

you have to look at the entire picture when it comes to longhorns not just the check from the barn. Your calves are not going to bring you what #1 black hide steers will. Where longhorns in my opinion make the difference is In upkeep expense and longevity. They eat 1/2 as much mine don't stand at a feed bunk looking for a bucket or sack they will hustle to survive and if you care for them live longer which is more calves you can also run more longhorn cattle on the same acreage because once again they eat less which In turn is you putting more nutrients back onto your pastures in the manure form
Yes, a big selling point to me.

I will 2nd making sure there is adequate fencing and pastures to rotate away from the venue if need be. With a bull and calves the cattle can get testy vs some big steers just hanging out.

A couple years ago we were at a venue and a cow had had a calf maybe 10 yards off the fence. People kept wanting to walk up and see the calf or take a pic with the cow. When I showed up people had their back to the cow taking a picture and the cow was snorting and throwing her head at them in the background. We told the people working there and they called some one who moved all the cattle out of that pasture.
That won't be an issue. The property is already sectioned off. There is a front 10 acres and back 40. He had 30 head of cattle at one time. Front 10 is acred off, and where the venue will go. You'll be able to see the cattle, but would have to tromp a good distance to get to them.

Tough crowd.

I've seen LH x MG and LH x Angus. The LH x beef breed will produce a larger carcass by far if you intend to also produce meat but you may loose the horns and the color. Seems like you will have some things to think on.

Is having a couple colorful LH steers mixed in with some other beef cattle the best way to go or would you like an all LH herd?

There are pros and cons to each choice.

What I like in our herd is diversity. We have almost all registered stock. The few that aren't registered are being used for ET. We have all polled animals (personal choice that I don't like dealing with animals with horns) but we do have a few PB Charolais, Simmental, Angus but mostly we have Murray greys. Light silver, silver, dun, dark grey (brown), and black. They can have dapples too.

I'm sure you will get lots of advise and things to think on but when it comes down to it- you may want to consider diversity within your start up herd until you get well established.
In my mind I've thought longhorn females. Longhorns because they eat less, birth easy, and provide that Texas beauty. Then adding a black Angus bull and selling off calves to try and add some profitability. But hear me say, cattle raising won't be our primary source of income. We'll probably start with 5 and will never have more than 10 heffers max. The owner before us had 30 head, but with our home and venue, that won't be realistic.

I started out with mostly Longhorn cows because they were cheaper. Over the years, I bred them to Saler, Angus, Hereford, and Charolais bulls. Calves by the Charolais bull were the most uniform calves. They were born small, grew fast, and the spots were knocked off. The Saler calves were a close second, but the spots weren't knocked off as consistently.

Raising registered Longhorns for people to buy as novelty cattle can be profitable. In the last 50 years I have sold LHS to people like that for 4 figure prices, and bought them back for a couple hundred when the novelty wore off, or they decided to get out of the business. IF you wanted to market their calves, then breed the cows to an Angus bull. But, if you just want LHs for decoration on your venue, then buy LH steers. They will live longer, grow bigger and grow bigger horns. They will also be gentler than fooling with cows and bulls. Mist all LHs yoiu see at tourists venues, petting zoos...novelty acts where they are addle broke, etc,. are steers.

Not trying to railroad your thread but several weddings venues here have sheep and people are crazy over weddings with them in the background. I would think in Texas longhorns in the background would be a big draw for people to use your venue . Anything else would be gravy .

Latest posts