Debating Bull Breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry, I'm so slow to respond. It's spring, I have a ranch and a farm, along with 5 kids (3 of which I homeschool). By stunted, I mean I have a cow that I thought was one of our heifers, out in the pasture. Our fences are down from the storm, and when I was moving them, she had a calf on her. I took a pic. They are nearly identical in size.

My cows have improved a great deal, since I started almost six months ago. They get the liquid feed, I give salt blocks and loose minerals. They've finally slowed down on the liquid feed, but it has warmed up some, too. I'll snap some pics tomorrow.

In the mean time, here's mama and her nursing calf (not even a year). I have her and another cow in a pen together (finally), to see if I can get some weight on them. Calf is with the main herd.

Attachments

• 20230310_110208.jpg
    20230310_110208.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230310_110211.jpg
    20230310_110211.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 17
Sorry, I'm so slow to respond. It's spring, I have a ranch and a farm, along with 5 kids (3 of which I homeschool). By stunted, I mean I have a cow that I thought was one of our heifers, out in the pasture. Our fences are down from the storm, and when I was moving them, she had a calf on her. I took a pic. They are nearly identical in size.

My cows have improved a great deal, since I started almost six months ago. They get the liquid feed, I give salt blocks and loose minerals. They've finally slowed down on the liquid feed, but it has warmed up some, too. I'll snap some pics tomorrow.

In the mean time, here's mama and her nursing calf (not even a year). I have her and another cow in a pen together (finally), to see if I can get some weight on them. Calf is with the main herd.
You know what? She had that calf and raised it. so I wouldn't worry about it. Keep her and breed her. We have a herd of Corriente cows that we breed to Brangus and Ultrablack bulls. And this is what you see about 6 mos after calving...cows nursing a calf as big as she is.

She is doing a slam bang job putting her all into the calf. Some get like that, not ideal but it is what it is. Giving her a break now is what she needs. Since you just took this over, she could very well have gone from one calf right to another with no break or chance to get some weight back on. Don't discount her.

At this point I wouldn't be super picky about what bull I use on those cows as long as it's easy birthing.. Once the cows put some condition on and have the resources to make a decent calf you'll get a better idea of where they need improving, and if it's worth trying to improve them.. Selling the calves and buying in new cows as needed might be better? At this point it's just really hard to tell

Latest posts