Breeds you have quit raising?

Help Support CattleToday:

UG

Reaction score
I'd be interested to read which breeds of cattle you have previously raised but then dropped from your program. Also, what was the reason(s) for dropping the particular breed.

UG":cziszbxk said:
I'd be interested to read which breeds of cattle you have previously raised but then dropped from your program. Also, what was the reason(s) for dropping the particular breed.
lets see had a dairy going.an went to raising reg polled herefords at sametime.did that for 5yrs.sold the polled herefords an concentrated on the dairy.

I used to raise South Devon, but they are not well known and it is hard to get good prices for purebred cattle when they aren't weel known. Plus as they are a red breed (at least in the area that I was) you would do just ok at the sale barn, because they weren't black. However I wuold never hesitate to use them as a recip cow. They wer awsome mommas.

Beefmaster and Brangus... lack of consistency. Brangus were especially guilty of this, it was just awful (the most consistent thing I experienced with Brangus was a pot gut).

Beefmasters... we still have 1 in our herd but never keep her calves.

We have been phasing out Limousins but mainly b/c we are heading in a new direction.

Any kind of dairy cattle.---- I just don't have the time.

People that can commit to this vast undertaking, have my support and well wishes.

UG":2rff0j7p said:
quit raising the kind i liked. and went to raising the type the buyer's like

Sticking with animals that work in this climate. Cows need bos indicus influence to raise healthy calves in this heat. That is my experience and opinion. LH and some others can cut this climate, but I prefer brangus.

Once our black cows rotate out of the herd for age or
whatever, we won't get any more.

The silver Murray Greys stand the heat of our climate much better.

We don't have many angus left now & the remaining ones
we used as recipients.

We ran Charolais for 35 years or more but kind of phased them out because I can move black baldie heifers for more than Charolais steers bring. That being said were turning out a Charolais bull tomorrow to clean up the odds and ends. Be interesting see how the carcass out with our South Devon/Angus/Hereford cattle.

We've had Hereford and didn't have much success with them, actually they were Dad's. I have long preferred the Baldy cattle.

Tried SImmy, Simmy X Red Angus, and Red Angus bulls. We have best luck out of our black bulls.

brahman and charolais. Brahman mainly due to poor selling, and charolais just because we switched directions in our operations. (black and reds)

PB Simmentals in the Late 90s - Calving and stayability issues. They also became pariahs around here because too many buyers got stuck with Longhorn cross calves that looked like Simmi influenced calves until they were put on feed.

Angus -dropped them for 2 reasons. Firstly because every Tom,Dick and Harry in the country with 20 or 30 cows starting selling everything with balls as a herd bull, and it got too hard to move all of our own. Second, I found Galloways, and fell in love. :lol:

Purebred Highlands: Couldn't sell them with papers, got docked at the salebarn for hair and size.
Hereford Cross: Docked at salebarn
Saler Cross: Disposition on the majority was not great and the bull(s) wouldn't stay home
Shorthorn Cross: Docked at salebarn
Charolais and Charolais cross: Good prices but the cows were too hard of keepers for our area and the calves were born too slow - more deaths in the freezing temperatures
Simmental Cross: Had to cull a lot for disposition and not very long living.
This is over a period of nearly 60 years. We do still have some of these crosses in our commercial herd and breed to a Red Angus bull but we are in the process of breeding purebred Red Angus, they work the best for us and they sell well in our area.

SEC":2nc4b9vt said:
PC, what do you get from the Galloways that you couldn't get from the Angus cattle.

Double hair coat, hundreds of years of consistency that was never bred out of them, more moderate frame(consistently), easier fleshing on average, easier calving, no breeders in my area and an increasing demand for breeding stock. If I had to pick one thing though, it would be the fact that they were never stripped of what made them great, by chasing the fads of the showring too much. As I said before, consistency. ;-)

Limousin. Didn't get rid of them but started running angus bulls with them. Decided to go black to get a little more $$ when selling calves.

Also got rid of everything that wasn't gentle or had horns, regardless of color.

Latest posts