Black Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":2ve3ix56 said:
backhoeboogie":2ve3ix56 said:
We all know who needs the chill pill :D :D :D

I'm not the person who posted about three times in the other thread because she was upset about what I said about her alternate ego.

You started this and now you're going to the "higher ground" and change the subject ploy? :lol: :lol:

Upset? Naw you just got it all wrong again but it aint no big thang. Someone called me CB once too. Might have been you. I aint nova. The truth don't hurt none either. They're both decent folks. It wasn't offensive. Why do you think it was offensive? Why would you being wrong again upset me?

The angus/brangus part you referred to was in a response to fall calving angus some time back. Brangus do fine nursing through the summer here. You had issues with the clips from your link and claimed it was twisted and attributed to a OK website incorrectly. Atleast this time I do see you actually went and read it. :D

Twist however you want to suit your needs. You can't even remember your arguments from back then. It was definately an environmental issue. But this time you did go and check. If you had done that last time you would have seen how wrong you were then too.

backhoeboogie":39edeadt said:
novatech":39edeadt said:
One thing I will let you know and hope you remember. Today at 11 AM I purchased a registered Angus heifer.

I hope you got a heck of a bargain on it :D :D

BTW If you are going to cover her with a brahman, I'd be interested in buying the F-1 - either sex.
I bought it from my ex-sister-in-law. She previously was just putting them through the sale barn. I got her for a good price and she made more than she would have otherwise.
Just to let you know I do own a tractor with the ability to pull her out of the tank this summer.
And yes I have a Brahman bull that can teach her to be subsurviant. :lol2:
I have already named her. Anybody care to quess what it is? :lol2:

backhoeboogie":c026r0sv said:
Frankie":c026r0sv said:
backhoeboogie":c026r0sv said:
We all know who needs the chill pill :D :D :D

I'm not the person who posted about three times in the other thread because she was upset about what I said about her alternate ego.

You started this and now you're going to the "higher ground" and change the subject ploy? :lol: :lol:

Upset? Naw you just got it all wrong again but it aint no big thang. Someone called me CB once too. Might have been you. I aint nova. The truth don't hurt none either. They're both decent folks. It wasn't offensive. Why do you think it was offensive? Why would you being wrong again upset me?

What in hades are you drinking this afternoon. I could not care less if I upset you. You're the one who jumped down MY throat about a post that wasn't even aimed at you. Then claims I said something about YOUR breed, but can't seem to back it up.

The angus/brangus part you referred to was in a response to fall calving angus some time back. Brangus do fine nursing through the summer here. You had issues with the clips from your link and claimed it was twisted and attributed to a OK website incorrectly. Atleast this time I do see you actually went and read it. :D

Or maybe you're just dreaming?

Twist however you want to suit your needs. You can't even remember your arguments from back then. It was definately an environmental issue. But this time you did go and check. If you had done that last time you would have seen how wrong you were then too.

I don't see a link to the argument, so how can I defend them? I'm not twisting anything. If the paragraph I posted was the one you were referring to, it said very clearly that Angus had the advantage in conception and weaning a live calf. Brangus cows gained weight in the summer. OK. I'll take a thin cow that weaned a live calf and bred back over a fat, open cow any day. But you've made your choice of breeds; I've made mine.

novatech":3dphgl26 said:
backhoeboogie":3dphgl26 said:
novatech":3dphgl26 said:
One thing I will let you know and hope you remember. Today at 11 AM I purchased a registered Angus heifer.

I hope you got a heck of a bargain on it :D :D

BTW If you are going to cover her with a brahman, I'd be interested in buying the F-1 - either sex.
I bought it from my ex-sister-in-law. She previously was just putting them through the sale barn. I got her for a good price and she made more than she would have otherwise.
Just to let you know I do own a tractor with the ability to pull her out of the tank this summer.
And yes I have a Brahman bull that can teach her to be subsurviant. :lol2:
I have already named her. Anybody care to quess what it is? :lol2:

Frankie

Hereford76":3srqrcsp said:
Brandonm22":3srqrcsp said:
novatech":3srqrcsp said:
For the people like me that don't have that skill.
http://www.hereford.org/static/files/ss_s10_Carcass.pdf
Although I am a firm believer in cross breeding for the best terminal, the use of this type of information in your breeding program can assure you that you may never need to use a black bull in the future.

I agree. I don't think there is anything wrong per se in not actually selecting FOR carcass traits or even for not really giving that weight in the selection decisions, but this is 2010. Ultrasound has been around for well over 20 years. If you are going to be serious about selling bulls, I think you need to be able to provide the ultrasound data to a buyer who asks for it (and I realize there are people who have sold bulls for forty years who have NEVER had a buyer ask for the ultrasound data). I think you kinda need to have that information yourself just to see how you are trending over time. Even if you know you are going to cross back to Angus for the carcass traits, there is still the potential for improvement of performance on the bottom side of the cross.
i've been collecting ultrasound data since 92 and never really selecting for carcass traits but not selecting away from it either. it didn't take long to know that what i do select for at the same time has decent carcass traits. my point is i can see the drawbacks to single trait selecting through carcass in the cows do-ability. we ranch here and it has always been more about an efficient mamma cow first.
I first noticed this bull when you posted him on ranchers.net. along with the others. Definitely impressive.
I do not think one needs to give up all they have built up through the years. But when you have the chance adding something extra that would not diminish the values you designate most important is the way to go.
My issues with meat quality are a bit personnel. Raising Brahman cattle is tough when most think anything with ear should be discounted. The fact that most southern beef is of lower quality. Little things like that bug me. I do not think it has to be and there are others that feel the same. We feel that with enough time and proper selection we can overcome the prejudiced opinions.

well then you and i have something in common - not much different being a hereford breeder in the midst of a black sea and/or the goggins mafia.

and i agree to a point - i just feel that mindset has got our breed and even more so the angus breed where it is today in terms of what it used to be valued for at home on the ranch.

Caustic Burno":te5hrkl4 said:
Boogie be careful with the truth. But it is sure good reading.

Yup. Sure is lively tonight. I haven't had this much fun since Uncle Elmer got drunk and tried to milk the bull.

VanC":qya9n6rc said:
Caustic Burno":qya9n6rc said:

Yup. Sure is lively tonight. I haven't had this much fun since Uncle Elmer got drunk and tried to milk the bull.

Now that there is funny. Even more so that I have an uncle named Elmer, but we call him by his middle name Joe.

Caustic Burno":3hkojyy8 said:

It aint no thing. You just expect folks riding around in the country to take note of what goes on in the pastures. In the 60's it was Gerts. Everybody had to have them and they were all the talk everywhere you went. Dump a good batch at the sale barn and everybody was coming out to look at them coming out of the trailer. Big buzz and fingers pointing.

If I lived in a different climate CB by golly I'd be running a bunch of angus. But I have to face the reality of my situation. I've got no beef with them. I've got no beef with Herfs either. I just expect them to be red n white. If I were to run a terminal herf bull over my brangus to get some baldies, trim a little ear, and get the high forage conversion they are known for, I would want a red one to ensure he wasn't tainted. You know good and well that herfs convert forage like nobody's business.

This wasn't a bad thread from the get go. I followed along. Then it went south. I'm really surprised it hasn't been chopped up and edited. Could happen yet.

We might get back to good herf discussion eventually. I have owned some in my life.

BTW, most folks know I run brangus. I didn't put four plugs on the first page of this thread about herfs.

As far as the real herf folks out there go, I'd like to offer my apologies for any hijacking. I do try to stay out of the discussions in the breed boards when it doesn't exactly pertain to me. It was never my intent to get this so sidetracked. Just trying to make a point and didn't intend for it to be at anyone else's expense.

Hereford76":3lb8pagf said:
i've been collecting ultrasound data since 92 and never really selecting for carcass traits but not selecting away from it either. it didn't take long to know that what i do select for at the same time has decent carcass traits. my point is i can see the drawbacks to single trait selecting through carcass in the cows do-ability. we ranch here and it has always been more about an efficient mamma cow first.

This is probably shocking, but I am not in disagreement with any of that.

As far as the real herf folks out there go, I'd like to offer my apologies for any hijacking.

Don't wprry about it BHB, the real Hereford folks don't care enough about black Herefords to worry about the hijacking of this thread. ;-)

KNERSIE":3oxt7rde said:
As far as the real herf folks out there go, I'd like to offer my apologies for any hijacking.

Don't wprry about it BHB, the real Hereford folks don't care enough about black Herefords to worry about the hijacking of this thread. ;-)

Would someone please change the title of this thread It should be BLACK BALDIES

I have decided that I need to start an association and paper all mine .
There is going to be the Super Herefords Hereford/Brimmer cross
Super Baldies Brangus/Hereford cross.
Then there is the plain Jane Black Baldies Angus/Hereford.
There is a lot of money to be made here collecting fees.

Maybe you shoud start the Demetrius Association. Only the sorriest animals need apply.

How about one called "Black cattle"

Their motto "they are good just look at the color of their hair"

stockman12":33o7hdcx said:
KNERSIE":33o7hdcx said:

Would someone please change the title of this thread It should be BLACK BALDIES

I didn't want to insult the baldies by associating them to the two animals posted.

Latest posts