Black Hereford Stock Update

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred":1v38c9xm said:
One of the worst decisions made by the Black Hereford Association is not open up the books to inlcude ALL Hereford bulls. As it stands right now you must nominate a bull and the majority of bulls already nominated are owned by the "big wheels" in the ABHA. The books not being fully open makes it very difficult to improve the genetics. The life (or death) of this breed will be how many people continue to produce quality F1 heifers.

Actually being new to the ABHA I think it's a good idea. There is a reason the quality has improved as quickly as it has. Currently breeders are just trying to get enough decent "Blacks" for breeding. Since I can breed my Polled Herfs to Homo Black Herf Bulls ANY pedigree is acceptable through that channel. I have watched this develop over the last 10 years. Will it last? I don't know. But I've got Black Herfs coming and we'll see.

Yotuck":dxltxeqo said:
tnwalkingred":dxltxeqo said:
One of the worst decisions made by the Black Hereford Association is not open up the books to inlcude ALL Hereford bulls. As it stands right now you must nominate a bull and the majority of bulls already nominated are owned by the "big wheels" in the ABHA. The books not being fully open makes it very difficult to improve the genetics. The life (or death) of this breed will be how many people continue to produce quality F1 heifers.

Actually being new to the ABHA I think it's a good idea. There is a reason the quality has improved as quickly as it has. Currently breeders are just trying to get enough decent "Blacks" for breeding. Since I can breed my Polled Herfs to Homo Black Herf Bulls ANY pedigree is acceptable through that channel. I have watched this develop over the last 10 years. Will it last? I don't know. But I've got Black Herfs coming and we'll see.
What quality? There hasn't any process on the improvements of black herefords.

This has been an interesting post to say the least. Just a few thoughts.
There are "ugly" critters of any breed. The ABHA is going through the same struggles that many other registered breeds have faced. I currently raise an Angus herd and starting my Black Hereford herd. Yes there are some good and bad qualities and that is what the "true" breeders are trying to fix but with any breed it takes time to get the results needed and to have the data presented correctly.
Sale catalogs for any breed will have some "photo-shopped" pics along with ones that are straight out of the field (camera or phone).
What surprised me about this forum was how quick some of the members on here were so avid to judge and then to push the negative issue of the breed and to make statements from one set of pictures and website. As with any message board it is smart not to wear your feelings on your shoulders as some will only want to ramble on vs. providing good feedback.
As I said I raise Angus and there are some "ugly" Angus that comes through many a sales that are put out there as "registered". Also seen the same with Hereford sales and Charolais. A cattleman (commercial or pure-breed) should be willing to understand that no breed is going to be top notch without some good and bad breeding to streamline genetics.
There are going to be a few more sales east of the Mississippi this year, so the breed is starting to make some ground. For some of the old timers just remember how many Hereford breeders put down Angus when they came onto the market before taking over as the largest beef producer.
Have a great new year all.

etmountianman71":3uymqp2j said:
This has been an interesting post to say the least. Just a few thoughts.
There are "ugly" critters of any breed. The ABHA is going through the same struggles that many other registered breeds have faced. I currently raise an Angus herd and starting my Black Hereford herd. Yes there are some good and bad qualities and that is what the "true" breeders are trying to fix but with any breed it takes time to get the results needed and to have the data presented correctly.
Sale catalogs for any breed will have some "photo-shopped" pics along with ones that are straight out of the field (camera or phone).
What surprised me about this forum was how quick some of the members on here were so avid to judge and then to push the negative issue of the breed and to make statements from one set of pictures and website. As with any message board it is smart not to wear your feelings on your should see as some will only want to ramble on vs. providing good feedback.
As I said I raise Angus and there are some "ugly" Angus that comes through many a sales that are put out there as "registered". Also seen the same with Hereford sales and Charolais. A cattleman (commercial or pure-breed) should be willing to understand that no breed is going to be top notch without some good and bad breeding to streamline genetics.
There are going to be a few more sales east of the Mississippi this year, so the breed is starting to make some ground. For some of the old timers just remember how many Hereford breeders put down Angus when they came onto the market before taking over as the largest beef producer.
Have a great new year all.
Congratulations you just brought up an old thread. Few folks tried the black Herefords near us but they got rid of their bulls and use a solid black bull on the black Hereford cows for commercial calves. Lots of people still stick with true Herefords and produces quality black baldies. I don't think these black Hereford will be popular or mainstream breeds since there are very few quality bulls available. They are good commercial cow makers tho, just rather to crossbreeding them than raising "straight" black Herefords.