Black Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on black charolais. Spoke to a breeder. Not able to register except in Canada. No angus in them from the breeder I spoke to. Not sure of the actual process but they are supposed to be 100% Charolais. They bred 2 red charolias together and got black one. Then kept going.

Wonder what kind of BW he will throw. The Charolais I have had will outgrow any Angus, but with price at the market it will about even out. I like Charolais and the black would be great considered BW is not to high and demeanor is good. He has a big nose and big feet and from my experience that can lead to big newborn calves.

The breeder I spoke to in Texas would not go under $2,400 a heifer. Sitting on these like black gold.

I always considered a black limosuin to basically be a black Charolais. Really like mine. Can't beat either for growth imo.

Kinda sounds/looks like a Sim to me! I've always thought most of the Chars in my area looked similar to Sims in their build, only difference was coat color.

I've heard of red factor Chars, but not blacks!

:hide:

ALACOWMAN":5zbecrhc said:
https://www.google.com/search?q=french+charolais&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihuMHvnbncAhXHvVMKHYQCD1UQ_AUIESgB&biw=768&bih=960#imgrc=WAuEcHvop48BHM: look what's attached to the skull... you don't see on American Charolais...they didn't come here that way..
Yes, my neighbor is a charolais breeder of 30 years, every once in a while he will have one with horns on his place. He says it's pops up every once in a while

Muddy":1zn7co05 said:
BK9954, you ever heard of up breeding programs?
Just when reading about the purebred bulls they used in the up breeding program to get the American Charolais. They had to be 31/32 I believe.....

BK9954":1489mg27 said:
What are your thoughts on black charolais. Spoke to a breeder. Not able to register except in Canada. No angus in them from the breeder I spoke to. Not sure of the actual process but they are supposed to be 100% Charolais. They bred 2 red charolias together and got a black. Guess they kept going

The first Black Charolais was born in 1993 and was DNA tested to verify that the calf was truly 100% Charolais and after several different test was confirmed that it was.

The Charolais have a "Red" factor and their color can vary from a light tan to a dark red, of which the dark red along with the black are not allowed to be registered in the US Association or to be shown. There are some Charolais that show some gray pigmentation, and so by using the darker pigmented animals and breeding them together they started getting some to come out black which has caught on in Canada and there are a few breeders here in the US.

While it is true that the American Charolais Association will not register or recognize the Black Charolais, we have had a breeder contact us and they have registered a few with us. They also have a Black Charolais composite that are called Equalizers.

I was just asking thoughts as a breed, possibly a niche to get into.. We will probably downsize our place, I was thinking about becoming the 2nd black charolais breeder in Texas, AI only. I know most Charolais guys don't like them, my neighbor called them genetic freaks, but so were polled hereford. Now the polled have come a long way, but this is just a color gene, and black is a good color.

BK9954":2u4dpn9x said:
black is a good color.
To be honest I don't agree with turning many cattle breeds into black to the point they lost their breed identify. Plus it seems that black Charolais just look like a big sized Angus with no rear and ugly head.

Muddy":11qu9no1 said:
BK9954":11qu9no1 said:
black is a good color.
To be honest I don't agree with turning many cattle breeds into black to the point they lost their breed identify. Plus it seems that black Charolais just look like a big sized Angus with no rear and ugly head.
I agree on some, black hereford has lost it for me, but these bulls look decent IMO, and if they can give me the growth rate and size, its a winner, but your input is what I was wanting, thank you

They look like angus to me. No similarity to the original french charolais.
Why every breed can't stay the way it was, as now all breeds are getting more similar on the other side of the ocean. It looks that all breeds are turning black with time.
Many people raise Charolais here and never even heard of the red (or black) 100% Charolais calf being born.

Not intending to insult anyone or their cattle, as I know everyone works hard at what they do and puts their heart into their cattle operations, so just more or less putting in typed words thoughts that I have on the various breeds as far as breeding for black hide.
I realize that some are now many generations from the original infusion of Angus and are now bred up to purebred status. It seems to me that right or wrong, good or bad, the physical appearance is altered so would not the genetic make up be altered as well.
My personal opinion from a marketing standpoint the Simmental breed benefitted perhaps the most. They are now a more moderate, and easier calving animal on average than before, and still retain the milking ability they were known for.
Perhaps Gelvieh have benefitted in growing their market acceptance as well for the same reasons.
Bear in mind I am not bashing any breed but I think it only worked for Limousins in that it gave them a black hided option, as I haven't seen very many black limousins that compared to the thickness and muscle of the original red ones, may be some are.
As for Herefords and Charolais, their respective associations don't recognize the black hided variants, in my mind they will potentially end up being very different genetically than the original breeds. I am not sure how well they will gain widespread acceptance as it would seem most folks who use them accept them for their trademark color as well the other reasons they are used.
It does seem that at least in this area there are some folks showing some interest in black herefords.