BLACK-BALDIES

Help Support CattleToday:

alftn":3dqfljno said:
IN beef cattle production, Black Baldies means Hereford / angus cross...

Breeding holsteins heifers so they can have a small calf with a hereford and produce more beef is a good by product of the dariy end, but no way to be con fussed with a true beef animal Hereford /angus...

The F-1 black Baldies Hereford/angus are a very sought after brood stock, prehaps the best mother cows in the business..You can not say that about these other so called black baldies, even if you might pass some of them off as such...

I will say the super baldies, for hot climate are, a fine combo also....
Got to agree with aftn. Tradition has it as HXA. Leave the definition at that and use some other wording to designate other breed crosses.

cmf1
I thought that the term "Super" referred to 1/4 Brahman influence for added heat tolerance.
No matter the color or prescription used to achieve it.
Red Super,
Yellow Super,
Black Super, etc.
All "real", all supers.
So is that just your favorite cross to get one or is this something else I am misinformed on?

dun
So Super Man was 1/4 Brahman?

You ever see the ears on Jorels momma?
Neither did I, but I heard tales.
And with the loss of the entire planet ...registries, epds, and even DNA is pretty tough to come by.
Plus the fact that Kryptonian influence is known to do a major good job on ear shrinkage, makes it tough to know for sure.
I guess it comes down to which side of the fence feels right.

Hate to break your Black Baldie bubble,If you think black baldies means angus-hereford cross, I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell ya. :roll:

VanC":2ko9ebxp said:
Red Bull Breeder":2ko9ebxp said:
Northern Rancher just where is cattle country?

Cattle Country is in England. Who knew?

http://www.cattlecountry.co.uk/
Van, how did you know that?
At times you demonstrate a keen mind and a wealth of knowledge. :nod:
At other times you are just an aggravation.:lol2:

haase":28qar0fm said:
Hate to break your Black Baldie bubble,If you think black baldies means angus-hereford cross, I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell ya. :roll:

Maybe you could enlighten us as to what they really are?

The first Black Baldies I ever saw were when my Gramdpa's horned Hereford bull jumped the fence and bred a pasture full of the nieghbors Angus heifers in 1962.
Man were those nice calves.

3waycross":1ajvnonu said:
haase":1ajvnonu said:

Maybe you could enlighten us as to what they really are?

The first Black Baldies I ever saw were when my Gramdpa's horned Hereford bull jumped the fence and bred a pasture full of the nieghbors Angus heifers in 1962.
Man were those nice calves.
First ones I saw was aorund 1959-60 when a local dairyman used Hereford bull on his Holstein heifers.

Ryder":3716szdy said:
VanC":3716szdy said:
Red Bull Breeder":3716szdy said:
Northern Rancher just where is cattle country?

Cattle Country is in England. Who knew?

http://www.cattlecountry.co.uk/
Van, how did you know that?
At times you demonstrate a keen mind and a wealth of knowledge. :nod:
At other times you are just an aggravation.:lol2:

One comes much easier than the other. ;-)

Isn't the fancy name for those Holstein Hereford cross cows Hays Converters?

3waycross, I never said what a black baldie was, never knew they were a registered cross either, but then again I dont live in the cattle belt either. But according to others on here a baldie is a hereford and angus cross only. Up here in the corn belt a baldie can have angus,simmental, limousin, and like dun said holstein in it, what enlighting are you looking for?

Black baldie is the industry term for a herford/angus cross-when I advertise baldie heifers for sale the first thing most guys ask is if they are real baldies not another cross with similar color. Not really a big deal to bicker over but people like to know what they are getting.

Thanks Van i really needed to no just where cattle country was. All this time i been thinking where every they was cows it was cattle country.

haase":3e7q26g0 said:
3waycross, I never said what a black baldie was, never knew they were a registered cross either, but then again I dont live in the cattle belt either. But according to others on here a baldie is a hereford and angus cross only. Up here in the corn belt a baldie can have angus,simmental, limousin, and like dun said holstein in it, what enlighting are you looking for?

Your definition was what I was looking for. I don't think it's unreasonable and although comprehensive, not necessarily correct. I have to go with Northern Rancher and say that the generallyaccepted defination is an angus/hereford cross and I believe that applies to any part of the country.

BTW did I miss the part about it them being registered, I know I certainly didn't say that.

How do you get a black baldie out of simms, and limms....use a Black Angus to turn them Euros Black, then cross them with a Hereford....

Latest posts