BLACK-BALDIES

Help Support CattleToday:

alftn":16cu2rkj said:
How do you get a black baldie out of simms, and limms....use a Black Angus to turn them Euros Black, then cross them with a Hereford....

Or a Holstein to turn them black

I always understood a baldie to be Angus/Hereford cross. They can't be registered, can they? Don't Angus and Hereford both have a closed herd book?

MO_cows":1yo8ws9c said:
I always understood a baldie to be Angus/Hereford cross. They can't be registered, can they? Don't Angus and Hereford both have a closed herd book?
Maybe in the black Hereford association herd buck

How does a question on here always get so far off course? The question was asked about F-1 black baldies and someone mentions something other than angus-hereford cross, than it cant be a baldie :roll: .The registration part 3way is there is no question on what the cross is, like Limflex, you know what it is black or red. Maybe the AHA should have done that with the angus- hereford cross, bet it would of done better than the Black hereford. But according to alftn nothing is as pure as a black angus :roll:

In todays time, a black baldy is no more then a coat description. Doesn;t have diddly to do with genetics.

dun":1xtxi4em said:
3waycross":1xtxi4em said:
haase":1xtxi4em said:
Hate to break your Black Baldie bubble,If you think black baldies means angus-hereford cross, I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell ya. :roll:

Maybe you could enlighten us as to what they really are?

The first Black Baldies I ever saw were when my Gramdpa's horned Hereford bull jumped the fence and bred a pasture full of the nieghbors Angus heifers in 1962.
Man were those nice calves.
First ones I saw was aorund 1959-60 when a local dairyman used Hereford bull on his Holstein heifers.
Yup, that is what my Dad called the result of his Holsteins bred to my Grandpas Hereford bull....50s and 60s...Yes I am an old phart.

dun":1eiach1w said:
In todays time, a black baldy is no more then a coat description. Doesn;t have diddly to do with genetics.

Exactly. Anything that has a black hide and a white face can be called a black baldy. Yes, when most people say "black baldy" they mean Hereford/Angus, but that doesn't mean other crosses can't be called a black baldy if it fits the description. It's not as common a cross as it used to be, but dairy people have been calling the Hereford/Holstein cross black baldies as long as I can remember. The term "black baldy" is not a registered trademark like Balancer or Lim-Flex.

Using the logic yall are using , Anyhing Red white face must be a Hereford.....

BLACK BALDIES are B. Angus X Hereford cross, and every one knows it...If you do not agree you are just wrong....Just because it is black white face IT IS JUST BEING PASSED OFF AS a black baldie does not make it True or right....

And yes simm , limm, and a 1/2 dozen other FAKE BLACK ANGUS can be use TODAY to make FAKE black baldies,,,THEY ARE STILL FAKES.......

Put me in the wrong column then. Brindle, baldy etc. are just markings to me. "Super Blady" does indeed mean something special.

alftn":1xhmwx55 said:
Using the logic yall are using , Anyhing Red white face must be a Hereford.....

BLACK BALDIES are B. Angus X Hereford cross, and every one knows it...If you do not agree you are just wrong....Just because it is black white face IT IS JUST BEING PASSED OFF AS a black baldie does not make it True or right....

And yes simm , limm, and a 1/2 dozen other FAKE BLACK ANGUS can be use TODAY to make FAKE black baldies,,,THEY ARE STILL FAKES.......

The fakes are probably the best animals too and in this neck of the woods will always have a little touch of "ear". :lol2:

Say what you will,FAKES they are, Your cattle are no more than cross breds....When B. angus was used to turn the black, you guys sure were not cring about the poor quality then....

I as think that Black is no better than RED,but since BLACK is precived to be the best, I still think BLACK ANGUS has changed the cattle business more than anything else......

M. Gray = angus
Brangus = angus
Black Limms = angus
Black Simms = angus
Black gelvieh = angus
These are all so called Breeds, hard for me not to think of them as mixed, when it is obious BLACK ANGUS made them.......

O I left out Black -baldies they are not a breed yet they are angus again....and all the non descript black cow all across the good old USA that are just called black cows.....now that should get them to going

alftn":2py6cvsf said:
I still think BLACK ANGUS has changed the cattle business more than anything else......

17% of the folks over at "most influential breeds of all time" agree with you.

backhoeboogie":16s8oqb7 said:
alftn":16s8oqb7 said:
I still think BLACK ANGUS has changed the cattle business more than anything else......

17% of the folks over at "most influential breeds of all time" agree with you.
And the other 83% probably thinking "WTF" :?: . (Frankie probably hasn't voted yet). :lol2: