Aubrac cattle breed

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":1tg3v253 said:
and that my business colleague/partner believes he can produce about a 33% more beef (he raises Red Angus X Gelbvieh X Hereford composites) from his existing pastures due to the inherent efficiencies of Aubrac genetics.

Sounds like he's a dreamer. 33% more? On the same resources?

No, I take that back. Sounds like he's an idiot.

When you can show me some valid Feed Efficiency studies I'll believe it. Not a minute before.

You beat me to it.

Hi, Mike --

I can assure you he's not an idiot. Actually, he's one of the finest cowmen I've ever met, and I have plenty of context and experience to base this on.

Anyway, grab your crayon and your Big Chief tablet, because here goes:

First, his mature cow size will be smaller, which means they'll need less feed.

Second, smaller cows requiring less feed will allow him to run more cows.

Third, he won't give up ground on calf weaning weights.

It's a pretty simple equation, really. If you need me to pencil it out for you in even simpler terms, I would be happy to do so.

Aubracusa

Aubracusa":3mxkx0le said:
Hi, Mike --

I can assure you he's not an idiot. Actually, he's one of the finest cowmen I've ever met, and I have plenty of context and experience to base this on.

It's a pretty simple equation, really. If you need me to pencil it out for you in even simpler terms, I would be happy to do so.

Aubracusa

I need more help understanding the 33%.

Aubracusa":1d2d7stz said:
Hi, Mike --

Aubracusa

I don't give a damn about a projection. You can put anything on paper.

I understand about the sizes and inputs and outputs of cattle buddy. I also try to keep up with efficiencies in cattle, as much as I can.

You said he thinks he can get 33% more beef out of a pasture just by changing breeds. If he can do this, there won't be another breed of cattle left in the USA after a couple of years.

Unless he really had a set of poor doing cows beforehand.

I'm not putting down your breed either. I just don't take unrealistic statements with a grain of salt.

Aubracusa":x2rohkax said:
Hi, Mike --

Aubracusa

One thing I got to say about the guy is he is one easy customer. You are the perfect guy to advertise a breed.
You just keep your side comin all in a low key matter of fact easy nature.
ALMOST makes me think there is room for this breed in the big world called commercial cattle.
It will be tough but if the rest are like you I wouldnt bet against it.

MD

Thanks, Red --

I'm as thick-skinned as it comes, but I get my dander up when folks like Mike C call my good friend an idiot.

I realize breed promotion and advertising have very little credibility to begin with, so why would I want to poison the well even more by spreading untruths?

I have asked my business partner/friend to chime in on this conversation this evening, and he is typing up the numbers as I write this.

I understand a lie can dash halfway around the world before the truth grabs its crayon, so we're moving quickly to put the hard numbers into the hands of Mike C and other skeptics.

Best,

Aubracusa

All I can say is, I wish I had a trailer load of these:

aubracasa3mo.jpg

Alice

Hello everyone,

I think I just may be the guy that said I can improve my cow herd effiencies by 1/3. And by the way (Mike) thanks for the compliment....

I'm in the process of putting together some feed conversions on our Aubrac cattle and I will have these completed in February. I am big on effiencies and expect my cows to give me everything they can. I base my 33 % increase on:

Reducing my mature cow size, while not affecting my weaning weights. This is evident in my stocking rates on yearling Aubrac cross heifers, where I have run 1/3 more on the same amount of grass. This is a bold statement when you consider I have been running a 5 breed composite on these same acres
and they are out performing them!

I have also seen that the breed back on these Aubracs is extremely good. I expect my cattle to breed in a 40-45 breeding season without anything extra or they die. This will become even shorter as I add more Aubrac blood to my herd.

Calving ease: My Aubrac calves have been between 62 and 85 lbs. They are born without assistance and are up and going in no time. This also adds to increased profits. One more thing on calving, if I assist a calf it is nothing more than a feedlot animal. I will not sell a bull or retain a heifer that was assisted at birth.

These cattle flat out do better on poor forages than any other breed I have been involved with.

I look forward to getting some data back on these cattle in the near future so we can discuss this in detail. But please find some solice in the fact that I will do everything I can to make sure these cattle will work for the most astute cattlemen or they will not be for sale! If anyone would like to contact me and find out more about my program, feel free to email me at [email protected]. In the meantime keep looking for every reason to cull those cows, it will help us all in the long run.

I'm certain this question has been addressed before, but I'm a lazy creature and don't feel like running back thru all 9 pages...soooo, the question is how well do these cattle tolerate extreme heat?

Thanks, Alice

Ironically, Alice, this is where the discussion began.

We've undertaken a research project at the University of Florida to evaluate the production and reproductive qualities of these cattle in a subtropical climate. Dr. Joel Yelich is heading up that work.

We are expecting data from Joel very soon.

There is some history of Aubracs being used extensively in hot environments, and we are piecing that history together. France's colonial history in Africa and South America meant Aubracs were exported into those regions. There is some research that indicates that Aubracs have some natural resistance to blood diseases spread by the tse tse fly, and we are looking into that as well.

We will keep you posted.

In the meantime, where in Texas do you raise cattle?

Best,

Eric

Man, these are some really nice looking cattle. They look to be a much smaller framed type of beef breed or is the picture just giving me an illusion? That bull looks like a smaller framed bull from a picture on page 8. Where can you find these types of cattle? In the US anywhere? I bet that they would be a get breed to cross on a good limousin bull or angus bull or even a simmental bull. What do you all think?

Hello, Hill Creek --

The bull calf above was photographed when he was right at 90 days of age. As you can see, they develop muscle quickly. This calf was on western range all summer (elevation 7500 feet), and received no creep or extra energy of any kind.

Most of these Aubracs are generally frame 5 cattle, with a few exceptions on either side.

I invite you to view more photos and read information about the breed at http://www.aubracusa.com.

Thank you for your interest,

aubracusa

Here's why your cattle should be grass-efficient, not corn dependent:

From Top Producer:
• World corn demand for 2006-07 is estimated record large at 724 mmt. The world has never harvested more than 712 mmt.
• World industrial use of corn is up 42% and feed use is up 23% in a decade. Other than the Russian grain robbery in the early 1970s, never has world demand increased so dramatically in such a short time.
• China's government announced $200 billion to boost biofuel production in the next four years. Ninety-one ethanol plants are under construction in Jilin, their top corn-producing province. Similar investment in Mongolia and Heilongjiang could consume 40% of China's corn production by 2009.
• This year's world ending stocks are the smallest since 1977-78 and the stocks–use ratio is record low at 46 days. Next year's stocks could be less than half as much.
• U.S. demand has outstripped production all the way back to 1999 (with the exception of the extremely favorable 2004 growing season).
• At $2.25 corn, gasoline could fall to less than $1.40 per gallon before ethanol could not compete. Short of crude below $40/barrel or corn above $5/bu., there is nothing to change investment plans in new ethanol plants. —Ag Resource Company

I may have missed this so if I did please forgive me.

What were your foundation cows?

edit for spelling and still might have missed it.

Aubracusa":16jhq2fw said:
Ironically, Alice, this is where the discussion began.

We've undertaken a research project at the University of Florida to evaluate the production and reproductive qualities of these cattle in a subtropical climate. Dr. Joel Yelich is heading up that work.

We are expecting data from Joel very soon.

There is some history of Aubracs being used extensively in hot environments, and we are piecing that history together. France's colonial history in Africa and South America meant Aubracs were exported into those regions. There is some research that indicates that Aubracs have some natural resistance to blood diseases spread by the tse tse fly, and we are looking into that as well.

We will keep you posted.

In the meantime, where in Texas do you raise cattle?

Best,

Eric

Thanks for this info...we live in north central texas, about 60 miles SW of Fort Worth.

Alice

I contacted a few Aubrac cattle breeders wanting to know somethings about this great breed of cattle. I really think that mating a good Aubrac cow to a good Limo or Black Angus bull would make for some really thick calves.

Hi, Hill Creek --

Talk to Wayne Bollum of Golden Oaks Beef or Charlue Hunt of Hunt Aubracs. see website for contact info.

Both are established and well-known Limi breeders who are using Aubracs.

Best,

aubracusa

Wow, Busy Day!

China is also in the process of completing trade packs with India and Pakistan, the two largest wheat producers.

I would recomend the book "Man Must Measure" to any prospect wanting to learn more about tropical adaptation. Many of Bonsma's priciples were applied by French Aubrac Breeders when developing there breed standard. ie Hormonal balance, linear mesurments, performance testing. I'm not sure which came first, the egg or the chicken.

Funnel butts, I like that one.

Latest posts