Registered cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

No personal digs intended. Just an "in general" opinion on the practice of registering crossbred cattle regardless of percentage, color, or breed.

And thanks for the polite response.
I agree. and this man doesn't claim them to be registered. Here's how what he does works : I pulled up to the sale barn that Wednesaday morning witjh some of these pairs on my trailer. So a couple of guys I know came up to me and said " Woah, Warren! Where did you get those giant Angus from?" I said "they aren't Angus." 1 dude said " What are they, Simmental?" The other one had climbed up to look in my trailer and said " No those ain;t Simmental. What are they..Chi-Angus?" So I told him they were actually 1/2 Simm and 1/2 Chi-Angus.

Them: " No sh&t! Simm bull and Chi-Angus cow? Or the other way around?
"
Me: "Some of both. Hang on and let me get my briefcase out and I will tell you". So I pull over so others can unload and get out the binders he had given me. I then told them to call out a tag number., and I would tell them which cross it was.

Them: "What color were the Simm cows? Any red? Or bwf? "

Me: "Homozygous black, and polled. All of them. Here is a copy of each Simm cow's papers and a pic". And there is a copy of the Simm bull's papers in the folder for the ones with Chi-Angus dams. They are all homo black and polled as well"

I told them about how he does his tag numbers,. so they could tell the cow in the pic was actually the dam of whatever cow they are asking about. Then they asked about the calves' sire. And I showed them the copy of the BM bull's papers that was in each cow's clear plastic sleeve. Along with the calf's birthdate, birth weight, and health records. The BM bull was homo black and polled as well. I told them the bull has been running with these cows a month , and that the owner was gonna have them preg tested there. They walked around the trailer looking in at all of them, and talking, so I let them alone. When they got back around to me, they asked "How much?" :) Sale barn owner came up about that time, and asked what we were doing. I told him who's cows they were, and he said "Oh yeah He called me and said he was sending some documentation by you to be announced by the auctioneer tomorrow". I said well just hang on there and let's get him on the speaker phone while we are all here together, and see if we can't get it all done today!". And we did!

So, that is why he does this documentation like this. He isn't trying to start a registry or anything. Every day people bring , say, black baldies, claiming they are out of angus cows and Hereford bulls. You just have to take their word for it that this what they are, how old they are, vet records, and trust they just didn't buy them at a sale the day before. All of that doubt and worry and suspicion is eliminated by doing this simple and easy little thing.

Last edited:
We have both the International Beef Cattle Registry and the International Dairy Cattle Registry. This year 2023 we are celebrating 10 years of service to the dairy and beef industries.

The process of registering cattle, the information should be complete and accurate and not be just a piece of paper. But too many times we have seen registration papers from many registries that the sire or dams information is blank. Why? Because the animal that was left off of the papers what not a registered animal or the animal was of another breed.

We DO document all known ancestry and do breed percentages for each breed. Many beef registries will call an animal purebred at 87.5% and the in future calculations use it as a 100% animal. This is wrong.

Yes, purity is important! But for those registries to not do their due diligence is lazy for the most part by them. By documenting all know ancestry, if a recessive should happen, then knowing the ancestry can make it easier to possibly finding where in the ancestry it may have occurred.

For our beef registrations, we show the birth weight, weaning weight and yearling wights on the papers. For adjustments we only do them to the 205 or 365 days. While there are adjustments for the age of them dam, if taking animals to the sale the only sell on actual weight. I have never heard an auctioneer say that this calf is out of a 2 year old cow so we are going to add 5 lbs for the weight adjustment.

We receive many compliments on our papers, we not only document the normal information, but we also have information for tattoo's, ear tag numbers and colors, RFID tag numbers, Brands, If any genetic testing is done for recessives ( the lab we use tests for over 100 haplotypes and recessives)

While there are many composite breeds and crosses, it is important that there are still breeders that breed the purebred animals that are used in those composites.

We have had some "home raised" commercial heifers that have turned into some really nice cows, and have some that have been duds. We have bought some registered heifers and cows with papers that have been some really nice cows, and some that have been real duds.

Years ago we bought a really nice registered Angus heifer. Pathfinder lineage. We expected great things.
She went 0-3 and became steak.
Most expensive steak we have had here at the ranch.
Why is it that there is some kind of inverse relationship between the level of hope you have in an animal and the odds of it blowing up in your face?

I swear the more you like an animal and the more you want it to be the seedstock for greater things... the more likely it will get hit by lightening, get hardware disease, get stolen, die during calving, or won't breed.

Why is it that there is some kind of inverse relationship between the level of hope you have in an animal and the odds of it blowing up in your face?

I swear the more you like an animal and the more you want it to be the seedstock for greater things... the more likely it will get hit by lightening, get hardware disease, get stolen, die during calving, or won't breed.
Yep, just don't fall in love with them.

Ken

While documenting all the information on breeding, performance and treatments is a good idea if the person doing the selling will use this info, down the track you may get buyers asking the question "both parents are papered now how do we register this calf?" We have had similar questions asked here on CT by people that have greater expectations of what they have actually bought.

Ken

Never have a favorite cow. Something bad happens to them every time.

Latest posts