Byergo Cattle ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with their cattle ? Do they gain as advertised ? I was thinking king of using a couple of their bulls to ai some hefty squatty cows for a bull test. Thanks

Limited experience using Byergo Black Magic. I can't vouch for the feed efficiency as I don't have the grow safe system. Frame size has crept smaller in angus nationaly (imo) so Byergo are likely going to increase frame size but my results haven't been as large as I would have guessed.

The weaned calves I've had have been in the top % -- average of the sire group 650 lbs.
I only really have data on one slaughter animal. I don't feed them aggressively and the steer gained 2.62 lbs per day from weaning to slaughter. I have limited data on two other slaughter animals (heifers that didn't take AI) that would have been on feed for 90 days or so and gained at >2 lbs per day.

The Byergo's have been nice cattle. Docile, easy handling. Also, if you have questions reach out to them directly, they were very responsive to my questions and responded quickly.

My only complaint has been that 2 of the 4 heifers we've tried to keep haven't taken AI. But I wouldn't hesitate to use their genetics again.

I was real interested in their cattle at one point. I looked at several they raised and some sired by their sires. Several Magic and Titus calves. Never saw one that was heavy muscled. Of those sired by their sires none were top performers in their age groups. I feel they are good cattle if they fit your environment, management and market. We are fortunate to have 2 breeders who have done effiency testing for years. The best Byergo sires I have seen have been less than a 6 frame. We have found genetics that work for us. Finding those with a 6 frame or more and heavy muscled are hard to find.

Very very informative group, just have to overlook some of the competitive back and forth.
You mean the daily pizzing contest? I would love to post a pic of Woody on there and delight in the responses - he's sooo not the "perfect phenotype" but dang, he throws great calves.

That said, I follow Byergo Cattle's own Facebook page and they do have some very nice bulls.

Some of their bulls look like Gelbvieh. Just saying. I am still looking at silver bullet.

Never saw one that was heavy muscled... The best Byergo sires I have seen have been less than a 6 frame. We have found genetics that work for us. Finding those with a 6 frame or more and heavy muscled are hard to find.
That's why people will use homozygous black Limousin and Simmental instead of Angus.

Doesn't muscle lower maternal traits and marbling ? Is there a correlation between heavier muscle and efficiency or weight gain?
We are selling a product. What is that product? It isn't mothering ability. Feed efficiency and rate of gain factor in, but ultimately we are selling meat.
Of course we factor in desirable traits that lead to successful product sales, but without the meat we might as well be raising Corrientes.
There are plenty of heavily muscled breeds that are as good or better than lightly muscled breeds in mothering ability as well as pounds of meat produced effectively.

You mean the daily pizzing contest? I would love to post a pic of Woody on there and delight in the responses - he's sooo not the "perfect phenotype" but dang, he throws great calves.

That said, I follow Byergo Cattle's own Facebook page and they do have some very nice bulls.
It is a bit ridiculous. Lol. Thats for sure. Thought provoking sometimes though, for me.

Post ol Woody. Teach em something.

It is a bit ridiculous. Lol. Thats for sure. Thought provoking sometimes though, for me.

Post ol Woody. Teach em something.
I laugh, old BH when he was on here used to advocate giving his everything they needed for massive growth to give them the very best start in life, now he seems to advocate being a bit more commercial with them. It is a bit more sensible really.

Ken

Doesn't muscle lower maternal traits and marbling ? Is there a correlation between heavier muscle and efficiency or weight gain?
NO to your first question. BREEDS have more effect on maternal traits and marbling. Charolais and Limies were never known for their milking ability or marbling. Simmental is a maternal breed - but also a high marbling heavy muscle breed.
Muscling and marbling are generally antagonistic. Meaning if you chase marbling, you generally lose muscling.
Your second question: Heavy muscling "generally" means better gain. Muscling weighs more than fat.

I laugh, old BH when he was on here used to advocate giving his everything they needed for massive growth to give them the very best start in life, now he seems to advocate being a bit more commercial with them. It is a bit more sensible really.

Ken
Are you on everything angus ?

NO to your first question. BREEDS have more effect on maternal traits and marbling. Charolais and Limies were never known for their milking ability or marbling. Simmental is a maternal breed - but also a high marbling heavy muscle breed.
Muscling and marbling are generally antagonistic. Meaning if you chase marbling, you generally lose muscling.
Your second question: Heavy muscling "generally" means better gain. Muscling weighs more than fat.
I know there are lines in both Charolais and Limousin that don't milk, but I've seen cows from both breeds that were great milkers. My base cowherd of registered Charolais were extremely good milkers, and raised big calves. I also had the opposite experience with some Charolais females out of some of the popular show lines of the late 80's, early 90's. Some of those heifers didn't have enough milk to raise a calf.
Had a neighbor during those years that had registered Limousins and his cows appeared to have good udders and raised good calves too. But I have also seen Limousins that didn't appear to have much udder too.

I know there are lines in both Charolais and Limousin that don't milk, but I've seen cows from both breeds that were great milkers. My base cowherd of registered Charolais were extremely good milkers, and raised big calves. I also had the opposite experience with some Charolais females out of some of the popular show lines of the late 80's, early 90's. Some of those heifers didn't have enough milk to raise a calf.
Had a neighbor during those years that had registered Limousins and his cows appeared to have good udders and raised good calves too. But I have also seen Limousins that didn't appear to have much udder too.
And I've seen plenty of Angus and Simmental that I wouldn't own and if bought by mistake would never use for retaining breeding stock. There are very few breeds that a person couldn't put together a herd of that would be worth bragging about given enough time and money. And there is no breed in the world that doesn't have examples of crappy cattle.

And udder conformation is probably more important than volume in most cases. Bad udders end good cows productivity and a small udder that gives plenty of milk is as good as any other udder and better than one that breaks down quickly. The biggest calf I ever weaned (7 months/825 pounds) was from a first calf heifer with an udder not much bigger than a softball.