Aubrac cattle breed

Help Support CattleToday:

I see that Crystalized is a new member to the board; welcome. I see that you know some history behind the Aubrac cattle breed. Do you raise these fine Aubrac cattle at your place?

Hill Creek,

Since 1995 we have had several hundred Aubrac Sired calves. Because of there performance in our commercial operation we have added a growing purebred herd.

Calving ease has been brought up a few times on the board. We used over 250 unit's of French Semen. We did not pull a calf and had one death loss, a new calf born on the ice.

I am proud to say that the origional group of Aubrac Breeders in the US that I have been involved with is still intact.

Thanks for you question.

Hill Creek, did you get a response from Crystalized yet?

Let me know if not, and I can call him.

aubracusa

Aubracusa":yufnpoy8 said:
Hill Creek, did you get a response from Crystalized yet?

Let me know if not, and I can call him.

aubracusa
Yes I did and no luck. I want you all to send me a sale catalog of the first sale. I may want to purchase some Aubrac cattle in the future. Thanks! Would you like for me to send you my mailing address through PM? Let me know.

I would like to ask Del what value he is placing on his grassland in becoming 33% more efficient in production of pounds on grass as compared to grains. A total hollistic approach is needed to fairly address the advantages of a grass fed program versus that of feeding grains. Don't forgot real estate tax as well as fencing cost etc etc when comparing the two. At what level does corn have to be at compared to the price of land and it's carrying costs before I'm better off doing a grass fed program over that of a grain program?[/b]

Hi, Gus --

I think you raise some important concerns.

I think you're right that it requires a more holistic approach to be successful as a grass-fed producer. Obviously, you want good fertility, and high conception rates. You also want ease of calving and a strong immune system in your cows.

My concern with the nation's cow herd -- in general -- is that it's become extremely energy dependent. We've built in tremendous performance into our genetics -- but at what price? The recent national beef quality audits as well as USDA carcass data demonstrate that the only thing we've really changed in our cattle is carcass weight. We've made no appreciable advances in quality grade or yield grade, despite the advances in genetic analysis and technology. In fact, I think we've gone a little bit backwards in those regards.

The reality is that the industry has become hooked on energy consumption to deliver a quality product to the marketplace. And when we place so much emphasis on rapid growth -- and after the calf is sold -- we're stuck with cows that are terribly inefficient users of grass.

And efficient conversion of grass within the cow herd -- not necessarily the calf crop -- is where this transformation from corn dependency to grass efficiency really needs to begin.

If you have grass efficiency within the "cow herd," you can meet multiple markets - corn fed, grass-fed, pasture-based -- you name it. But if you continue to select for high-energy cattle, you narrow your marketing and production capabilities to the detriment of the industry.

Do you have any actual data on the efficiencies of these cattle?

Dr. Yelich? at U. Florida says his data is 8-10 years away.

Just wondering if you have bought into a fairy tale or reality?

If I were you I would be entering every "Forage" test in the country, plus entering calves in feed tests.

Have ya'll done any of this?

Hey, Mike --

Glad you made it back.

Our knowledge of what these cattle can do is based on information that we've gathered over the years from both research and personal experiences of producers and scientists from around the world.

Currently, we have a good set of bulls representing breeders from across the country on a roughage-based test in Nebraska this winter. We will have conversion and gain data available on them at the end of the test. Some of those bulls will be sold through our national sale on March 1, 2007.

We have made no assumptions about our research at the University of Florida, and I have been clear from the beginning that the research is in its infancy. I am glad you're keeping a close eye on its progress; that's what we're doing it for.

We will also be shipping a potload of Aubrac steers from our network of producers next month to farmers in New England. These New England producers are actively involved in a grass-focused (not fed) production system (mentioned above). We will not only be analyzing the carcass and eating qualities of these calves, but also the performance attributes of the cattle under roughage-ration conditions. We hope this will pave the way for an Aubrac-specific branded beef program that will be marketed across the Northeast.

One of the ranchers in our alliance raises nearly 4,000 head of cows in three different states. I believe he is the largest user of Aubrac genetics in the world. He has sire-identified feedlot performance and carcass data on thousands of Aubrac-cross calves since 1996. Two of our producers have in place fully integrated seedstock-to-feedlot production systems, where we not only gain information about the reproductive and production attributes of these cattle, we also know how specific bloodlines perform under feedlot conditions. Two of our producers have incorporated Aubrac genetics into "composite" cow-calf programs, which gives us a window on these cattle in the hybrid world. Two of our producers have direct farm-to-plate branded beef businesses.

In the last 12 years, members of our organization have traveled to Europe on too many occasions to count not only to analyze the latest available bloodlines, but to determine which sires and bloodlines we should not use. We have met with producers from more countries than I can remember about their experiences with Aubracs.

We are aggressively rebuilding a registry (in place since 1995) and a genetic evaluation system that will place us on an equal footing with breeds and breed associations that have much greater resources at their disposal.

We continuously receive information from producers from across Europe, Canada, New Zealand and Latin America.

We are in constant communication with each other within the US, too. We share information with each other. We buy each other's bulls and heifers. We have a very good handle -- and a strong knowledge base -- of what these cattle can and cannot do. I could send you hundreds of documents, thousands of emails.

But why would I share that information with you, a great a detractor of the good work we're doing, someone who wishes for our failure?

What else would you have us do, Mike?

This is a very interesting topic---and about a breed that
was evidently a well-kept secret. I looked at the public
results on the Gene Star page of Bovigen Solutions, and
could not find a listing for this breed. Evidently no DNA
testing for the presently known tenderness genes have
been done for the breed---right or wrong??? I'd like to
know how the breed tests in this regard. Anyone know??

MikeC":8csyso9e said:
Do you have any actual data on the efficiencies of these cattle?

Dr. Yelich? at U. Florida says his data is 8-10 years away.

Just wondering if you have bought into a fairy tale or reality?

If I were you I would be entering every "Forage" test in the country, plus entering calves in feed tests.

Have ya'll done any of this?

Hi Mike glad to see you are still here.

I've wondering about some of the same things you have mentioned but as you are much more learned than me, I am glad he still can't seem to answer your questions to my satisfaction as he won't answer mine at all.

Thanks again Mike as I'm sure you have saved me from my demise.

But why would I share that information with you, a great a detractor of the good work we're doing, someone who wishes for our failure?

What else would you have us do, Mike?

Simple. Come clean with some good hard solid data.

I have been around the block a couple of times and have seen some breeds come and go.

The ones who stuck around had more than rhetoric to back up their claims too.

I don't wish you failure. I wish you all the best. It's just that I've seen nothing except words and a couple of pics to make me believe anything written here.

Your buddy's statement that he got 33% more beef from a pasture than he did on another breed is pretty lame.

I got 50% more beef from a pasture last year than from the same pasture this year with the same breed. IT RAINED!

Aubracusa":q4272q1k said:
Hi, Gus --

I think you raise some important concerns.

I think you're right that it requires a more holistic approach to be successful as a grass-fed producer. Obviously, you want good fertility, and high conception rates. You also want ease of calving and a strong immune system in your cows.

My concern with the nation's cow herd -- in general -- is that it's become extremely energy dependent. We've built in tremendous performance into our genetics -- but at what price? The recent national beef quality audits as well as USDA carcass data demonstrate that the only thing we've really changed in our cattle is carcass weight. We've made no appreciable advances in quality grade or yield grade, despite the advances in genetic analysis and technology. In fact, I think we've gone a little bit backwards in those regards.

The reality is that the industry has become hooked on energy consumption to deliver a quality product to the marketplace. And when we place so much emphasis on rapid growth -- and after the calf is sold -- we're stuck with cows that are terribly inefficient users of grass.

And efficient conversion of grass within the cow herd -- not necessarily the calf crop -- is where this transformation from corn dependency to grass efficiency really needs to begin.

If you have grass efficiency within the "cow herd," you can meet multiple markets - corn fed, grass-fed, pasture-based -- you name it. But if you continue to select for high-energy cattle, you narrow your marketing and production capabilities to the detriment of the industry.

I agree with you in that the cow herd has to maintain the highest degree of productivity and do it at a low cost of production. The current demand that has been placed on the beef industry by the eating public is in fact an atagonism that we deal with in the cattle production model. They demand a lean fat free product as well as a good tasting ( ie choice ) product that has tenderness. We've trained them well to the fact that beef is indeed the protein of choice and what to expect from an eating experience.

Retained heterorsis is a must in maintaining a low cost high output herd that can meet market targets. The proper blend of complimentary types will allow for a breeder to then use sires that will enable them to meet the carcass specs that are so atagonistic to the cowherd. Lean steers mean lean females. High gaining growth types mean the same in both sexes. The key is to breed animals that grow fast and big to an end point before carcasses are docked. Most models will indicate that growth still rules from a profitability standpoint in most segments of the industry.

It is amazing how may new id's we've got on this one thread.

Hi, Mike and Wewild --

What specific data do you want? Pasture utilization/beef production from Del? I'll see what I can get done.

Hi, OK Jeanne --

There has been some tendernesss work done on some of these cattle. I will check with the individual breeders and email it your way when I get the okay to send it.

Gus --

Give me a minute. I'm working on a response.

Thanks to all. This is great!

aubracusa

Aubracusa":3cx98r8t said:
Hi, Mike and Wewild --

What specific data do you want? Pasture utilization/beef production from Del? I'll see what I can get done.

Hi, OK Jeanne --

There has been some tendernesss work done on some of these cattle. I will check with the individual breeders and email it your way when I get the okay to send it.

Gus --

Give me a minute. I'm working on a response.

Thanks to all. This is great!

aubracusa

Thanks for the reply. I asked about

Wewild":3cx98r8t said:
I may have missed this so if I did please forgive me.

What were your foundation cows?

edit for spelling and still might have missed it.

which you must have inadvertly over looked.

Gus,

I am sorry to delay his response as you are as important as I in your questions.

Hi, OK Jeanne --

Glad I didn't delay your response.

Forget it chump. 3$ bills are easy to spot. :roll:

WeWild --

I'm not sure what you want to know about my foundation cows. Pedigrees? Calving info? Names?

Thanks,

aubracusa

MikeC":1aplrslg said:

Forget it chump. 3$ bills are easy to spot. :roll:

MikeC,

I detected a tone of discontent in your comment. I came into this topic of conversation because it is addressing some major concerns facing those of us actively involved in the raising of beef as a primary means of livelihood. For anyone to completely dismiss any opportunity in looking at alternative production methods is in my mind the reasons we in the beef cattle business are light years behind the seed, swine, as well as dairy in regards to meeting market targets while doing it in a manner that is profitable for all segments while meeting with consumer satisfaction. We can not fix the problems of today with the same thinking that created them.

Gus

Hey Mike,

I'm glad you brought up the moisture variable in pasture production I had explained. I can assure you that this did make a huge difference, but I regret to tell you that we have been in a drought area for the last four years.

Our group of Aubrac breeders will continue to gather information and make it available very soon.

I would love to have you come to Nebraska and visit my operation. And by the way Mike, can you give me a little
background on your progam? I may want to explore some of the "cutting edge" things you are doing......

Best Regards

Del

Latest posts