Aubrac cattle breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi, purecountry and Alice.

The bull calves pictured above are different animals, although both photographs were taken when the calves were three months of age.

We run these Aubracs at about 7,500 feet elevation in the summer. They usually drift higher. We've been wintering between 6,000 and 6,500 feet. The valley where we live is one of Colorado snowiest, receiving right at 350 inches of fresh snow from the first of November to the first of April, so I'm assuming our winter conditions here are comparable to yours up north. They get out and dig through the snow along the ditch banks. It's pretty cool to watch. They really hold their flesh well when it gets cold.

Aubrac and Crystalized: Thanks for the info you've provided. You're doing a good job promoting your breed. Like reading about different breeds and comparing to my breed of choice, which is obvious. The cow and calf, I think, are two of the best shown on here. And that bull ain't bad either. Are the Aubrac's all horned? Bull's fs about a 5 1/2 to 6? By the way, that's a heck of a crop of mushrooms in the bull's picture. :D

purecountry":3tqz2njn said:
Do they paw through the snow and work for their feed, or do they bawl at the fence? Conversely, any breed can be made to bawl at the fence if you routinely feed them from November 1st to May 31st in a pen, where YOU do all the work for THEM.

I like your attitude!

Those aint mushrooms, Roadapple. Those are lava rocks -- millions of them. You can't dig a post hole around here without a backhoe! That mountain in the background is an extinct volcano.

Frame score: Interestingly, a lot of times, the cows of same age actually stand taller than the bulls. I would say they average between 5 and 6, maybe sometimes even a little smaller for bulls. But they are a heavy low-framed breed. It's easy to misjudge their weights because they are so compact, deep and muscular.

Not all of these cattle are horned. The good bull calf, shown from the rear above and on page 5, is polled. I think the nice cow above is polled, too. We are rapidly developing polled purebreds in the US, although the breed is naturally horned in France. There are some high-percentage black Aubracs as well, but the majority of the cattle in the US are "naturally" colored.

Aubracusa":rhuz52cl said:
Not all of these cattle are horned. The good bull calf, shown from the rear above and on page 5, is polled. I think the nice cow above is polled, too. We are rapidly developing polled purebreds in the US, although the breed is naturally horned in France. quote]

What a crying shame!! When did cattlemen forget how to rope a new born calf and put a bit of paste on it??

I am not sold 100% on the idea that we should give up the body and hardiness of horn cattle just to follow the polled route!!

S.R.R.":k6wvcem4 said:
What a crying shame!! When did cattlemen forget how to rope a new born calf and put a bit of paste on it??

I am not sold 100% on the idea that we should give up the body and hardiness of horn cattle just to follow the polled route!!

I prefer polls.

Hi, SRR --

Don't worry too much... there are still plenty of good horned ones to choose from!

That polled bull calf above (rear view and side view on page 5) possesses plenty of hardiness and a good body, even though he's got no horns! His mother's the same way. He came up the hard way, on the dry mountainsides this summer of Colorado, and is now on test at the first-ever national aubrac bull test in Nebraska.

Aubracusa

S.R.R.":19a54pff said:
Aubracusa":19a54pff said:
Not all of these cattle are horned. The good bull calf, shown from the rear above and on page 5, is polled. I think the nice cow above is polled, too. We are rapidly developing polled purebreds in the US, although the breed is naturally horned in France. quote]

S.R.R. - It comes down to "Priorities" and "Choices" - - "Priorities" and "Choices"! That is the reason breeder's chose to develop Polled Herefords in the beginning. and Polled Shorthorns. and Polled Limousin's. and Polled Gelbvieh's. and Polled - Everything's. Except Angus. They were already Polled.

Feedlot injuries and damaged hides and meat cuts played a big part also.

DOC HARRIS

Aubracusa":3pp1p0ri said:
Hi, SRR --

Don't worry too much... there are still plenty of good horned ones to choose from!

That polled bull calf above (rear view and side view on page 5) possesses plenty of hardiness and a good body, even though he's got no horns! His mother's the same way. He came up the hard way, on the dry mountainsides this summer of Colorado, and is now on test at the first-ever national aubrac bull test in Nebraska.
Aubracusa
Aubracusa - Check your PM.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2db0mxmr said:
S.R.R.":2db0mxmr said:
Aubracusa":2db0mxmr said:

S.R.R. - It comes down to "Priorities" and "Choices" - - "Priorities" and "Choices"! That is the reason breeder's chose to develop Polled Herefords in the beginning. and Polled Shorthorns. and Polled Limousin's. and Polled Gelbvieh's. and Polled - Everything's. Except Angus. They were already Polled.

Feedlot injuries and damaged hides and meat cuts played a big part also.

DOC HARRIS

Doc I have, and always will, respect your thoughts/posts but.... you missed the part of my post that stated.

"When did cattlemen forget how to rope a new born calf and put a bit of paste on it??"

I agree with you that the feedlots do not want horns and rightfully so. On the same token you, I, and others know that often a polled animal is not on the same pare as a horned one. You are riding your cattle anyway why not rope the little ones and put a bit of paste on them? Please do not tell me that cattle producers have gotten so lazy they would sacrifice a better quality calf just to get a polled one!! :roll:

S.R.R.":37yz4192 said:
.... you missed the part of my post that stated.

"When did cattlemen forget how to rope a new born calf and put a bit of paste on it??"

I didn't miss it. And still don't miss dehorning..

S.R.R.":2oov1sbe said:
Doc I have, and always will, respect your thoughts/posts but.... you missed the part of my post that stated.

I'm not Doc and he would probaly give you a more elaborate answer, but after a score years of young college educated cowboys seeing after the cowherd and calf crop they were smart enough to realize that it was easier to dehorn the calves at conception than after birth. Is this simple enough for you S.R.R. or do you need more explanation?

la4angus":235lo71l said:
S.R.R.":235lo71l said:

I'm not Doc and he would probaly give you a more elaborate answer, but after a score years of young college educated cowboys seeing after the cowherd and calf crop they were smart enough to realize that it was easier to dehorn the calves at conception than after birth. Is this simple enough for you S.R.R. or do you need more explanation?

I am not going to take your bait and end up getting this thread locked. ( sorry it is the new me I am giving it a try :cboy: )

Like everything in cattle breeding, it's a balancing act. In general, I think you give up some quality when you go for polled in traditionally "horned" breeds. That's not to say there aren't outstanding polled individuals.

There's an article coming out in Farm Journal that says two things drive value the most in the Limousin bull business: polled and black. So you have to look at economic reality, too, when making your breeding decisions. The market wants polled -- and pays a substantial premium for polled seedstock -- so it's hard to give up that economic advantage by staying horned to someone else who's breeding em polled.

Aubracusa, you need to have Ok state update their site, it does you no favours! The two main points of interest I have is seeing some crosses relevent to the commercial breeder, and do they cope in areas where grazing is 20-30 acres to the livestock unit.

Hi, Andybob --

You're right. The Oklahoma State website does the Aubrac breed a terrible disservice, although I appreciate the fact that they've devoted some space for information on this breed.

The photo has been there for quite awhile, and I'll see what I can get done to change it. It is not representative of the breed.

Unlike a lot of breeds developed in France, Aubracs come from fairly extensive cattle operations. As Crystalized mentioned in an earlier post, the average size of an Aubrac herd is about 60 animals, which makes it about twice as big as the average beef herd in Europe.

The farmers push these cattle into the mountains in late May, and leave them there until the first part of November. Many of these pastures are as big as any I've seen in the western US. In southern France, many of these farms resemble those of the American southwest, where it's hot and arid.

My experience in the US is that Aubracs not only are very grass-efficient, they also possess a desirable grazing behavior to cover the necessary country to find water and good grass. Their structural soundness (unlike some other European breeds) allows them to handle as rugged conditions as you can dish out. These are very sturdy, well-made cattle.

We don't have a lot of information on how Aubracs cross on bos indicus-type cattle, but that should be forthcoming. We're hoping that our work at University of Florida will shed light on the production attributes of Aubrac crosses in a subtropical region.

I do know that there are a lot of really beautiful Angus X Aubrac crosses around the country, and that my business colleague/partner believes he can produce about a 33% more beef (he raises Red Angus X Gelbvieh X Hereford composites) from his existing pastures due to the inherent efficiencies of Aubrac genetics.

Best,

Aubracusa

and that my business colleague/partner believes he can produce about a 33% more beef (he raises Red Angus X Gelbvieh X Hereford composites) from his existing pastures due to the inherent efficiencies of Aubrac genetics.

Sounds like he's a dreamer. 33% more? On the same resources?

No, I take that back. Sounds like he's an idiot.

When you can show me some valid Feed Efficiency studies I'll believe it. Not a minute before.

Latest posts