What is Your Favorite Breed of Cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
This was a POLL by Cattlemen's Beef Board:
As of today:
1)
Vote Now for Your Favorite Breed of Cattle!
Angus 22.55% FIRST
Charolais 4.9%
Gelbvieh 9.8%
Hereford 10.78% THIRD
Holstein 8.82%
Limousin 5.88%
Longhorn 6.86%
Red Angus 6.86%
Simmental 11.76% SECOND
Other 11.76%

I will update if any major changes. I don't know when the poll closes.

That would fall into the "other" category. It does seem strange that they included Longhorn and not Brahman cattle???
I know! And LH ranked higher than Charolais?!! No Brangus, Braford, Gert, BM etc, either. I am betting Brangus would be 2nd behind Angus if they were one of the choices.

It's my understanding that as far as world wide numbers, that Brahman is the number 1 breed followed by Simmental at #2.
I like a lot of breeds it would be hard for me to pick. My ranking at present would be.
1. Simmental
2. Brahman and BrahmanX
3. Charolais
4. Red Angus
5. Angus
6. Hereford
7. Limousin
8. Gelbvieh
9. Longhorn
10. Jersey
100. Wagyu
101. Scotch Highland

Last edited:
It's my understanding that as far as world wide numbers, that Brahman is the number 1 breed followed by Simmental at #2.
I like a lot of breeds it would be hard for me to pick. My ranking at present would be.
1. Simmental
2. Brahman and BrahmanX
3. Charolais
4. Red Angus
5. Angus
6. Hereford
7. Limousin
8. Gelbvieh
For warm climates
1. BrahmanX
2. Limousin
3. Red Angus
4. Santa Gertrudis
5. Simmental
6. Hereford
7. Black Angus
8. Charolais

For colder climates just remove the Brahman and Gerts...

Is that some kind of booze ? It must be a regional thing I haven't seen it in any liquor stores around here
I can't tell you much about alcohol, so I have no idea there. As far as the cattle breed with whatever name they have, I've not seen enough of them to know what the correct name is. Scotch Highland is what they call them on the rare occasion one comes through the ring, maybe a regional thing I don't know.

Other can't be 11% if Brahman is 42% of US beef.
That's like saying all black cattle are angus. Well most have swam in the angus gene pool.
The poll asks for "favorite" breed, not "most numerous breed". Very few people raise Brahman influenced cattle in places where the climate doesn't require it. I'd say that says something about their popularity.

For warm climates
1. BrahmanX
2. Limousin
3. Red Angus
4. Santa Gertrudis
5. Simmental
6. Hereford
7. Black Angus
8. Charolais

For colder climates just remove the Brahman and Gerts...
Well Lassiter runs BM in Colorado, last time I was that way it got pretty cool.
Them BM's are half Brahman give a percentage or two.

Well Lassiter runs BM in Colorado, last time I was that way it got pretty cool.
Them BM's are half Brahman give a percentage or two.
Beefmaster have a lot of variation. I've had some that looked like Gerts, and others that looked like brockle faced Herefords. Some have excess skin and others are tight skinned. I don't know what Lasater runs, but if I was building a herd of BM in Colorado, especially north or at higher elevation, I'd be very careful of the skin issue.

One of the reasons BM is not even on my list. Too much inconsistency.

Last edited:
Beefmaster have a lot of variation. I've had some that looked like Gerts, and others that looked like brockle faced Herefords. Some have excess skin and others are tight skinned. I don't know what Lassiter runs, but if I was building a herd of BM in Colorado, especially north or at higher elevation, I'd be very careful of the skin issue.

One of the reasons BM is not even on my list. Too much inconsistency.
Lassiter founded the breed in Texas and moved it to Colorado.

Lassiter founded the breed in Texas and moved it to Colorado.
And the opinion is still relevant.

Would you believe this is thru Beef Check Off?? At least it's on the top of the results page. HOLSTEIN???? Doesn't make sense. Evidently, the poll wasn't over, but I haven't been able to find any more info. Dumb emails!

Latest posts