Cattle vaccines

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I am ordering my cattle vaccines now because first of year they were not available. I have been using the
CattleMaster Gold FP5 L5 Cattle Vaccine
Covexin 8 Cattle & Sheep Vaccine and,
Just once pmh in for pneumonia

I have been told that with the Covexin 8 that I didn't need the Just Once pmh. Any comments please!

Also even thou I have been using Zoetis Covexin 8, I see a Calvary 9. Which is better?
Also is the Bovilis brand ok? Evidently they don't have the Zoro's as in the past.

I know I should know this but the info on the covexin 8 doesn't say pneumonia protection.

Bovilis Once PMH SQ Cattle Vaccine

Last edited:
Covexin 8 covers Clostridial diseases. It covers the following per their website:

Clostridium chauvoei
Clostridium haemolyticum
Clostridium novyi
Clostridium perfringens C
Clostridium perfringens D
Clostridium septicum
Clostridium tetani

Once PMH covers the following:
Mannheimia haemolytica
Pasteurella multocida

I don't see any overlap. Maybe the question is around whether Clostridium haemolyticum (covered by Covexin 8) and Mannheimia haemolytica (covered by Once PMH) are the same. I think not.

Clostridium haemolyticum causes the acute, infectious disease, bacillary hemoglobinuria, in cattle with symptoms of Fever, Abdominal pain, Anemia, and Dehydration.

Mannheimia haemolytica and Pasteurella multocida cause respiratory disease commonly called pasteurella/pneumonia.

All those above words are just copied and pasted from the internet. I can't even pronounce most of them. But in common terms, I give clostridial vaccine to protect against blackleg (and other clostridial diseases) which will kill a calf quickly. I vaccinate with a pasteurella vaccine to protect from pasteurella pneumonia which can kill them as well.

If you can get it, Cavalry 9 is my preferred over Covexin 8. It's 2cc vs. 5cc and doesn't leave as much of an injection site reaction/lump. That said, I worked cattle last week and neither was available. Had to improvise with Ultrabac7/Somubac and BAR-VAC CD/T. Double-dosing type C&D but that's what my vet had and said it would be fine.

I have the same basic chart put out by Armor Animal Health..... Great to use for reference. I also like Cavalry 9 but it seldom available here.....
Our vet is a proponent of MLV and I do NOT like them... so we differ a bit there... BUT.... nearly all my dairy farms use Triangle 10 HB as their killed virus general vaccine... and add things like a clostridial and then many use a Rota/Corona vaccine so calves get better protection as that is something that shows up in dairy calves alot.... may be because they are raised on the "same ground" /calf hutches etc.... and I am leaning towards a "pneumonia type"vaccine, like your PMH ..... our cows get Triangle 10 HB at preg check, and a blackleg some years to help boost the cows passing the immunity in the colostrum.... not the most intensive vacc protocol, but it seems to work for us pretty good. Calves get different set....

Worked calves today. Could not get Covexin 8 or Cavalry 9, I already had a couple bottles of Tetanus Antitoxin so when it's gone it'll be 2 rounds of BarVac CDT I believe it's called.
We used a Blackleg vaccine called 20/20 Vision 7 with Spur. It has a pinkeye vaccine in it.
We also used Triangle 5 for the first round of respiratory vaccine, will follow up with a modified live Bovishield Gold in a two weeks or so.
We are in agreement with @farmerjan we don't really like modified live vaccines, but do use them on calves we are selling.
If we vaccinate our cows we use Triangle 10 also.

Covexin 8 covers Clostridial diseases. It covers the following per their website:

Clostridium chauvoei
Clostridium haemolyticum
Clostridium novyi
Clostridium septicum
Clostridium tetani

Mannheimia haemolytica
Pasteurella multocida

I don't see any overlap. Maybe the question is around whether Clostridium haemolyticum (covered by Covexin 8) and Mannheimia haemolytica (covered by Once PMH) are the same. I think not.

Clostridium haemolyticum causes the acute, infectious disease, bacillary hemoglobinuria, in cattle with symptoms of Fever, Abdominal pain, Anemia, and Dehydration.

Mannheimia haemolytica and Pasteurella multocida cause respiratory disease commonly called pasteurella/pneumonia.

All those above words are just copied and pasted from the internet. I can't even pronounce most of them. But in common terms, I give clostridial vaccine to protect against blackleg (and other clostridial diseases) which will kill a calf quickly. I vaccinate with a pasteurella vaccine to protect from pasteurella pneumonia which can kill them a

Clostridium chauvoei
Clostridium haemolyticum
Clostridium novyi
Clostridium septicum
Clostridium tetani

Mannheimia haemolytica
Pasteurella multocida

All those above words are just copied and pasted from the internet. I can't even pronounce most of them. But in common terms, I give clostridial vaccine to protect against blackleg (and other clostridial diseases) which will kill a calf quickly. I vaccinate with a pasteurella vaccine to protect from pasteurella pneumonia which can kill them as well.
Thanks for this info. It is very helpful. Now I will order as follows:
Covexin 8 (or Calvary 9, which ever is available)
Cattle Master Gold lp5

Just once PM IN

This should cover them for what they need.

I just want to secure it now while it's available.

Thanks for this info. It is very helpful. Now I will order as follows:
Covexin 8 (or Calvary 9, which ever is available)
Cattle Master Gold lp5

Just once PM IN

This should cover them for what they need.

I just want to secure it now while it's available.
I use to give pinkeye vaccines but didn't last year. So far I've never had a case of it, thank GOD.

Clostridium chauvoei
Clostridium haemolyticum
Clostridium novyi
Clostridium septicum
Clostridium tetani

Mannheimia haemolytica
Pasteurella multocida

Order the Once pmh in and it's a different brand but says it's the same stuff but this comes with a free Nasal Cannula. That's good but what is that Nasal Cannula, I've never had one with my other brand. I googled it but what they describe as is not what I need it for, plus the costs of the thing on google is anywhere fro $50 to $350. I know that's not the same thing. Nasal Cannula?????

For respiratory, my calves get Inforce 3 (mod live) with a cannula day 1 when they're tagged & either a First Defense or Optimizer gel. Triangle 4+PH-K (killed) at approximately 3 months and Bovishield Gold One Shot (mod live) at weaning. And they always get a pinkeye shot, usually an autogenous that covers Moxeralla Bovis, Moxeralla Bovoculi and Mycoplasma Bovoculi. But geography is everything! Working closely with your vet is highly recommended to get the proper coverage for your region.

At my place and B's the calves get a Calvary 9 and a Multimin in the first day or 2. At brandings (I think I went to 8 of them this year) everyone seems to use the same thing. Ultra bac 8, Bovashield gold, and Nasalgen PHK.

At branding my calves get Vision 7, Once PMH IN, and Vista 5

Pre-wean: Vision 7, Once PMH IN, and Vista 5. I also deworm at that time with Safeguard.

At my place and B's the calves get a Calvary 9 and a Multimin in the first day or 2. At brandings (I think I went to 8 of them this year) everyone seems to use the same thing. Ultra bac 8, Bovashield gold, and Nasalgen PHK.
Dave... are you giving Cavalry-9 to 1-2 day old calves, or are you talking giving it to calves purchased at the salebarn?
In general, calves cannot/will not respond to any Clostridial bacterin/toxoids given before about 60 days of age... colostral antibodies block the calf's immune response until about 2 months out, when they've declined enough to allow the calf's immune system to respond.

A newborn's immune function 'tanks' from about Day 3 to Day 7. Any 'vaccine' given in that window will likely not result in any significant response... better to do it on Day One, or wait 'til they're out about 10 days of age. The only vaccines I'd consider giving to newborns would be an intranasal IBR/PI3/BRSV & oral rota/corona... and neither of those are required - and probably not even recommendable for most beef herds, unless there's history of prior respiratory or viral enteric disease.

Dave... are you giving Cavalry-9 to 1-2 day old calves, or are you talking giving it to calves purchased at the salebarn?
In general, calves cannot/will not respond to any Clostridial bacterin/toxoids given before about 60 days of age... colostral antibodies block the calf's immune response until about 2 months out, when they've declined enough to allow the calf's immune system to respond.

A newborn's immune function 'tanks' from about Day 3 to Day 7. Any 'vaccine' given in that window will likely not result in any significant response... better to do it on Day One, or wait 'til they're out about 10 days of age. The only vaccines I'd consider giving to newborns would be an intranasal IBR/PI3/BRSV & oral rota/corona... and neither of those are required - and probably not even recommendable for most beef herds, unless there's history of prior respiratory or viral enteric disease.
It is B's deal. I believe he has tried just about everything under the sun. He calves out over a thousand every year so he has a bit of experience. The Calvary has tetanus and I know that is a concern of his. He bands all the bull calves at that same time.

I don't know 'B'... or care... but his 'experience' doesn't alter or negate the 'science' of neonatal immune function.
Y'all can do whatever you want. My response was as much for other members on here who might think that vaccinating day-old calves with a Clostridial bacterin/toxoid is a good practice. It's not.

The Cavalry-9 won't necessarily hurt the calves - though I wouldn't count on the tetanus toxoid component providing any protection to a banded bull calf. A dose of Cavalry-9 to the cows 2 months or so prior to calving would likely be more effective in providing protection to the calves.
I've seen a few tetanus cases in babies banded at birth, but very few, compared to the millions that get the little Green Cheerio. But... I've seen way too many big bulls that were banded and got a dose of something with Tetanus Toxoid in it at band application. The race is on... and the bacterium often wins, since you really need that booster dose 3 weeks or so later to get antibody production up to a protective level.
Anyone who's watched calves following routine vaccination - at appropriate age - with Clostridial products, will know that they often act like they are stiff/sore and febrile for a couple of days afterward. I don't want my neonates 'knocked back' in any way, especially when they are their most vulnerable immune state.

Latest posts