Would this be dangerous ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe get contact the county sheriff, tell them what you have, or maybe the local landfill might know. They probably would know how you cans dispose of it safely, or least know who to get in contract with.

For pete's (devonian's) sake don't use gas or diesel to help the fire along.
View attachment 36925
Gas? What like methane? 😂 No. But what about petrol? 😂But seriously I need to use diesel as it's soggy as hell here ( it's England) it won't catch fire otherwise 🔥. And I want to get this done so I can relocate the farm bonfire location, to use the site for other purposes. Anyway I'll report back soon. If you don't here from me it didn't go very well. 🤕

Gas? What like methane? 😂 No. But what about petrol? 😂But seriously I need to use diesel as it's soggy as hell here ( it's England) it won't catch fire otherwise 🔥. And I want to get this done so I can relocate the farm bonfire location, to use the site for other purposes. Anyway I'll report back soon. If you don't here from me it didn't go very well. 🤕
Is it Guy Fawkes night?

Ken

Is it Guy Fawkes night?

Ken
No that was last week. Good ol' guy, I mean bad guy. Ha who knows what we are meant to be celebrating there 🤷 it's always confused me a little, it's usually a fun night though, its all pretty sanitised these days mind. We used to have a farm bonfires with family and friends around with toffee apples, BBQ food and such with dad and the grown ups lighting the fire works but these days it's all limited to village and town bonfires all done behind safety ropes of course.

1699842644380.png

No that was last week. Good ol' guy, I mean bad guy. Ha who knows what we are meant to be celebrating there 🤷 it's always confused me a little, it's usually a fun night though, its all pretty sanitised these days mind. We used to have a farm bonfires with family and friends around with toffee apples, BBQ food and such with dad and the grown ups lighting the fire works but these days it's all limited to village and town bonfires all done behind safety ropes of course.
Didn't he try to blow up parliament or something like that. Now I'm not trying to encourage you but maybe you could arrange something.

Ken

But seriously I need to use diesel as it's soggy as hell here ( it's England) it won't catch fire otherwise 🔥. 🤕
When I built my house, they had to blast a lot of rock to build my basement. when they did not have enough dynamite, they loaded the holes with Ammonium Nitrate and diesel fuel (look up ANFO).

Ammonium nitrate is shock-sensitive when mixed with titanium, tin, or aluminum. It will also explode more readily if contaminated or mixed with combustible materials such as fuel oil, the latter known as ANFO.

I remember see how Ducks Unlimited were making ponds up in the tundra. They had a swamp buggy with a post hole auger. Drill a hole. Add 50 pounds of ammonium nitrate, a quart of diesel, and a quarter stick of dynamite to get it going. It made a pond 40 feet across and 4 feet deep. It would be fun to do if you like to blow things up. But you better have a long fuse.

Wouldn't try it unless you need a pond dug in a really big field.
Dig a hole and set it inside...
Yeah... I suspect that is exactly the wrong thing to do.

Containing an explosive is how it is made dangerous. A firecracker isn't nearly as dangerous if it is placed on a flat surface compared to being held in a closed hand.

This being the key.
If it's not confined and it's not shocked and not mixed with diesel fuel, there will be no catastrophic explosion near as I can tell.

Mixing it with diesel fuel isn't the issue it is the confinement. Makes me laugh how many millions people use this same exact mix on a daily basis without issues.
When you fill up your def tank on your diesel powered truck or equipment you are using this same exact mixture. Def is 32 percent liquid nitrogen. It is added to the exhaust burn chamber with unburned diesel exhaust and ignited to produce a higher temperature more complete burn resulting in less pollution in the exhaust.

It does not need to be confined and there are multiple incidents world wide where ammonium nitrate pellets stored in bags exploded. One of the most recent was in the town of West Texas. It needs only heat and a carbon source, (less than .5% carbon) tho at ambient temperatures over 400 deg F, it will form it's own carbon in the form of soot. A small initial detonation will occur that is the impact/impulse source in the form of a localized pressure wave (over 1000psi) and it's all over then.

It does not need to be confined and there are multiple incidents world wide where ammonium nitrate pellets stored in bags exploded. One of the most recent was in the town of West Texas. It needs only heat and a carbon source, (less than .5% carbon) tho at ambient temperatures over 400 deg F, it will form it's own carbon in the form of soot. A small initial detonation will occur that is the impact/impulse source in the form of a localized pressure wave (over 1000psi) and it's all over then.
Well if you have enough explosive, an unconfined explosion can be very dangerous. That's basically what a nuclear device is. But if you confine the same amount of explosive in a sturdy, sealed container, the explosive force will be magnified. That's what happens inside an internal combustion engine.

I think being a large enough quantity in one place meets the criteria for 'confined' near as I can make out.