so, what do the wooly worms and persimmons say this winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

Persimmons are very localized in my part of Kentucky. They are absent in the wild where I live, yet very common in the Knobs about 15 miles away.

I once brought some home from a visit to Perryville Battlefield and planted them in the garden. One is now a very substantial tree about 40 feet high and bears heavily each year. My wife cooked a persimmon pie from a recipe in an antique cookbook.
The thing weighed at least five pounds, reeked of persimmon perfume, and reminded me of a three year old fruitcake. I actually liked it but a tiny slice would be enough to satisfy you with it for days. We never did eat the whole thing and never cooked another.

I have seen only 1 wild persimmon tree in my life in Texas and that was back in the '60s at our old home place I grew up on in Highlands. I do know they were growing somewhere at my property I moved from in 2022, as I have seen partially eaten persimmons on the ground but I never could find the tree they came off of. (I've also never seen persimmons for sale at a grocery store)
They've been around here as long as I can remember…wish I had a nickel for every one I've eaten out here…and the seeds from 2 different trees on my place had spoons this year

Almost every animal loves them. Coon, deer, possum, fox, even my cows. I probably have 20 or more on 1 farm but they are common here.
One fact i didn't learn until recently. Although they are native from Pennsylvania south to Florida and west into Arkansas the variety in the south matures at a little different time than the northern ones because of the length of the season. I have 1 tree where they will be ripe and falling off in late September. All the others i have it will be November or later. I have picked them up in January some years. Think i will check today.
Coyotes will eat them, too if the limbs are low enough…saw one chowing down on them in our front yard when I was a kid…in broad daylight about 40 feet from the highway with cars just flying by…he didn't seem concerned at all…

My only fruit producing persimmon tree died.
Here, they can be a bit of a nuisance in pastures that don't get mowed on a fairly regular basis. I'll leave a few standing when clearing brush if they are not in a troublesome location. I can be selective when clearing brush…I like to have some trees around.

Here, they can be a bit of a nuisance in pastures that don't get mowed on a fairly regular basis. I'll leave a few standing when clearing brush if they are not in a troublesome location. I can be selective when clearing brush…I like to have some trees around.
Much appreciated that you leave some. As already pointed out, they are well liked and of a great benefit to wildlife and cows and us too!

My only fruit producing persimmon tree died.
I have (had) a 70 ft tall persimmon tree in my yard until the beginning of December. It had a scar on the base (about 3 inches wide) that looked like it was starting to get a bit deep and thought I should have it cut before it became a danger. This was a fairly large persimmon tree, about 20" in diameter. After having it cut down, I looked at the stump and was horrified. The entire core had rotted to the consistency of mush and there was only about 1.5-2 inches of sapwood that was solid on the perimeter edge of the stump. It was a male tree. I get all my persimmons from a park that is walking distance from me.

I have (had) a 70 ft tall persimmon tree in my yard until the beginning of December. It had a scar on the base (about 3 inches wide) that looked like it was starting to get a bit deep and thought I should have it cut before it became a danger. This was a fairly large persimmon tree, about 20" in diameter. After having it cut down, I looked at the stump and was horrified. The entire core had rotted to the consistency of mush and there was only about 1.5-2 inches of sapwood that was solid on the perimeter edge of the stump. It was a male tree. I get all my persimmons from a park that is walking distance from me.
Probably due to a fungus…seen that in post oaks, too

I have seen one other of comparable diameter, but was shorter.
I know no one was doubting me, but I thought I'd post this for all to see. If nothing else, how rotten the tree actually was for looking 'pretty much ok'. Note my foot at the bottom of the picture.

Attachments

• Persimmon Stump.jpg
    Persimmon Stump.jpg
    786.6 KB · Views: 15