How high off the ground do you all hang gates?

Help Support CattleToday:

My bottom barbed wire is over a foot above ground, wouldn't make sense to hang a gate lower that that.
Most of my barbed wire fences are 4-wire or 5-wire with the bottom wire at 18-20". Occasionally a baby calf will get out, but they usually find their way back. The extra height is to let pronghorns crawl under and also let tumbleweeds blow through. Bottom wires at 6-10" above ground cause more problems than they solve. Most of my gates are around 12" above ground level. Seems to balance the issues of holding cattle and still being functional after most snow storms.

Are you saying to hang the gate so it only opens one way? Sometimes I hang a one way but most times I want it to swing both ways.

Are you saying to hang the gate so it only opens one way? Sometimes I hang a one way but most times I want it to swing both ways.
Even on flat ground I hang most gates to swing one way. I weld hinges on the face of the post so the gate will swing back against the fence instead of out in the pasture. I set the post where the gate hits the latch post and you can chain it tight. A walk gate in a yard I set and hang to swing both ways. Not a pasture gate.

Even on flat ground I hang most gates to swing one way. I weld hinges on the face of the post so the gate will swing back against the fence instead of out in the pasture. I set the post where the gate hits the latch post and you can chain it tight. A walk gate in a yard I set and hang to swing both ways. Not a pasture gate.
One way swing is probably best. I'm by myself 99% of the time so hang cross fence gates to swing both ways. Most of the time it helps when trying to move calves...especially one calf.

Cattle are prone to react differently when confined as compared to an open field or area. They are more likely to run lateral to a
wire fence or attempt to jump it. While they are unlikely to challenge a gate in a field they will lower the head for leverage on
a gate that is a foot or more above the ground.

Cattle are prone to react differently when confined as compared to an open field or area. They are more likely to run lateral to a
wire fence or attempt to jump it. While they are unlikely to challenge a gate in a field they will lower the head for leverage on
I've got one that thinks she's a hog, if she can get her nose under it, she starts rooting and crawls under, all at considerable damage to the gate. Bought her a couple years ago. She's on the short list.

You are correct. One of the things I notice with calves though is they'll be walking down the fence line to an open gate and then balk and run or jump sideways past it. If I can set up the gate as a blocker they'll turn and go right in.

I used a 2 way gate yesterday evening when moving bulls. I got 3 moved but one didn't want any of it. I was able to get the last one close to the gate and then use it as a blocker to keep the other three from coming back through when I had to leave it open for a bit.

As far as being stronger and not putting pressure on the fence brace I'd definitely say 1 way swing is best.

uh oh, what happened to fence? came back to find this thread since I am finally going to hang the dang gate I bought 2 (3?) years ago across a spot that we pulled a cattle guard out. I see he says hinge side down hill. arrrggghhh no can do.

uh oh, what happened to fence? came back to find this thread since I am finally going to hang the dang gate I bought 2 (3?) years ago across a spot that we pulled a cattle guard out. I see he says hinge side down hill. arrrggghhh no can do.
Fence got kicked out for being Fence. Maybe he'll be back someday 🤷

I'll try to remember to take a pic some day I'm out by one of them. Its not the norm, its usually at a corner where the fence changes directions. Its also made worse because the ground sometimes changes and rises. A gate that swings with a few inches to spare can drag within a year sometimes. Its a PITA.
For a fact, ground changes. When I had goats, every gate was set at about 4 to 5 inches for inside pasture gates ( meaning inside perimeter fencing) . In the perimeter fencing may put closer to ground so dogs couldn't just slide under it. If we couldn't do it this way with natural land scape we box bled it so we could.,never lossef a goat to predator or dog except one time in 10+ years, and that one was a 5 month old baby goat had head thru the fence grazing and a guy came down the dirt road with 2 pit bull fighting dogs (I was told this later by sheriff department) when I reported the instant and that the dogs had caught lead poisoning from it. I saw where the dog owner tried tp load them back in the truck but couldn't catch them so he sped off before I got there. It was a shame as they where pretty dogs, but lead poisoning is very toxic. But they didn't get under gates.

Last edited:
For a fact, ground changes. When I had goats, every gate was set at about 4 to 5 inches for inside pasture gates ( meaning inside perimeter fencing) . In the perimeter fencing may put closer to ground so dogs couldn't just slide under it. If we couldn't do it this way with natural land scape we box bled it so we could.,never lossef a goat to predator or dog except one time in 10+ years, and that one was a 5 month old baby goat had head thru the fence grazing and a guy came down the dirt road with 2 pit bull fighting dogs (I was told this later by sheriff department) when I reported the instant and that the dogs had caught lead poisoning from it. I saw where the dog owner tried tp load them back in the truck but couldn't catch them so he sped off before I got there. It was a shame as they where pretty dogs, but lead poisoning is very toxic. But they didn't get under gates.
Ask your sheriff's department how you put two Pits used for fighting in back of a truck together. 😉 I wouldn't put much stock in that. It's like trying to haul two bulls in one compartment of a trailer.

Latest posts