How do you read this website to keep up with the forums

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
What is your procedure to read and keep updated on the forums?

Personally, I log on and hit the New Posts button and start down thru the topics reading the ones that interest me. At some point I will reach a heading that says something like "All postings from this point on have not had changes since you last visited. I always use a desktop not a phone. I don't like a phone for forums because of the typing. Have enough problems with the big keys. Let's kick it around. Some of us may benefit from something you are doing and say why didn't I think of that.

I browse with phone but mostly on computer. I'm a "two handed typist", so fudling with hunt & peck isn't my favorite.
I get notices of course. I check the top right corner of this page "latest posts", and I also click on New Posts.
I think a lot of our members just check in on certain Forums. Like I just posted in the Breeds forum, but I think only 1 had seen it.

I check the "alert" button first - the bell in the top right corner, in between the "conversations"/envelope and Search. It notifies me of additional posts, likes, quotes on any thread in which I have participated (or started). Then I check What's New.
Do ya'll not get a number over the bell and/or env showing if you have messages. I do but I do not use Facebook. And I never will knowing what I know about computers. They know enough already about us. Might as well make it hard for them. Ha!

Do ya'll not get a number over the bell and/or env showing if you have messages. I do but I do not use Facebook. And I never will knowing what I know about computers. They know enough already about us. Might as well make it hard for them. Ha!
I don't have Facebook but use the bell

Yes, you get a number over the bell for notices and a number over the envelope for private messages.
Don't worry, I'm still learning too.

Y'all look out, I was forced into the 21st century and had to "up grade" to a smart phone. The cow pics are gonna come hot and heavy now :ROFLMAO:

Yes, you get a number over the bell for notices and a number over the envelope for private messages.
Don't worry, I'm still learning too.

Y'all look out, I was forced into the 21st century and had to "up grade" to a smart phone. The cow pics are gonna come hot and heavy now :ROFLMAO:
I have a good phone but never remember to take the pictures

The format on CT is the same as on another "homesteader" type of forum I go on. I check the alert bell; top right, then do as many and go to the new posts on the left top and scroll through. You can also click on the "poster's" name... and it will show a little box with a few facts and you can "follow" or ignore them. If you "follow" them, then you will get an alert whenever they post on the forum in any category. Have also used the little envelope top right to engage in a private conversation with a few members too.

Yes I see the new post notifications under the bell and I don't fb either but really, I usually just start at the top (new member intros) and work my way down to whatever I may find interesting.

I also follow mostly from a desktop computer, but occasionally check from my phone. I have bookmarks in both for the "New posts" page: https://www.cattletoday.com/whats-new/posts/954626/. I first look to see if there is a little red numeral by the bell. If there is, I check that out first.

After that I go through the list, and when I see one I want to look at I put my cursor on it and click my scroll wheel. That opens the page in a new tab, but leaves the current one active. When I get caught up to where I last visited I close that tab and then check the individual posts (which have been opened in new tabs).

By the way, @bbirder mentioned logging in first. I have the box checked to log me in automatically so I can skip that step.

Cell phones don't work here at the house so we don't have a smart phone. Just a dumb one. I check on the desk top in the morning like now while waiting for daylight. And in the evening. Check the new posts and the bell then scroll down to see if something catches my eye.

Rafter
I have the box checked to log me in auto, but it does not always work. I have not bothered to follow up on that because it takes so little time to click and log on.
It seems most all of you follow basically the same procedure to get updated. I thought I would see a few different ways it is read like only subscribing to some forums and skipping the others. Doing this would leave you out of conservations you may be interested in.