? For the Fence Builders

Help Support CattleToday:

For the most part we cope everything. The kicker just takes practice.
One way though to make it easy is to use 4" for your post and 2" for your bracing.
No coping required. You can cut it with a chop saw.
Using 4" pipe would be ideal. Looks good too. Just a little to costly for my taste. Brings $4-$5 a foot around here. Kinda heavy too.

Would you be driving 4" pipe?

Using 4" pipe would be ideal. Looks good too. Just a little to costly for my taste. Brings $4-$5 a foot around here. Kinda heavy too.

Would you be driving 4" pipe?
Yes. In fact we drove 4" galvanized pipe yesterday. Well my guys did I wasn't there. In many circumstances you'll find heavier pipe will drive better than smaller pipe. Being stiffer you get less flex to absorb the blow of the driver. Same with drill stem. It's a higher carbon still than structural pipe and drives better. We get pipe from many sources both structural and drill stem. I save the drill stem for those rocky hard to drive jobs. It drives better and I can hit it harder.

Yes. In fact we drove 4" galvanized pipe yesterday. Well my guys did I wasn't there. In many circumstances you'll find heavier pipe will drive better than smaller pipe. Being stiffer you get less flex to absorb the blow of the driver. Same with drill stem. It's a higher carbon still than structural pipe and drives better. We get pipe from many sources both structural and drill stem. I save the drill stem for those rocky hard to drive jobs. It drives better and I can hit it harder.
That makes sense. While we are talking fence and rock. What's the best way to drive T-post in rock? I think I am about to run into some here pretty quick.

That makes sense. While we are talking fence and rock. What's the best way to drive T-post in rock? I think I am about to run into some here pretty quick.
We drill in rock for tpost . You can only hit a tpost so hard. In the past we used a air drill exclusively. Now we use either a hydraulic rock drill or a puffer bit on a beltec auger.
We also keep on the trucks a very large sdsmax hammer drill with a 1"1/2 bit.
It gets run off the welder when we just hit a rocky stretch instead of retooling the skid steer. It actually works very well.
Probably your best option if you don't have the equipment to Rock drill.

We drill in rock for tpost . You can only hit a tpost so hard. In the past we used a air drill exclusively. Now we use either a hydraulic rock drill or a puffer bit on a beltec auger.
We also keep on the trucks a very large sdsmax hammer drill with a 1"1/2 bit.
It gets run off the welder when we just hit a rocky stretch instead of retooling the skid steer. It actually works very well.
Probably your best option if you don't have the equipment to Rock drill.
I like the hammer drill idea. I am not a full time fence builder and don't plant to be but I am trying to help a neighbor out. He likes the way I build fence.
Thanks

Latest posts