Now THIS is a mailbox

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":1hesam5s said:
Rafter S":1hesam5s said:
Here where I work we test mailboxes for the DOT (among a lot of other things). I don't know about the laws in Kansas, but here in Texas you'd might be okay if it's on a local road, but if the road is federal or state you're opening yourself up to some big liability.

I've seen some test footage where the mailboxes came in through the windshield. You wouldn't want that.
Yep, mailboxes with a death wish. And, there's been lots of drunk mailboxes on FM roads that jump right out in front of cars and pickup trucks.
Waiting for a local chapter of MADM to start up. Mothers Against Drunk Mailboxes.
remember seeing the town drunk, going down the road in his Cadillac ...watching the mailboxes flying up like quails in front of him...

I could use one of those. Someone destroyed ours last year and then in the winter (probably the mail person) it got run over again. It's pretty sad looking, but it works.

Not sure about the legality part, but heavy steel mailboxes are very common around here. The others sure don't last long. There was a guy here a few years back - not a kid, he was mid 20's, broke his arm swinging a baseball bat (from the window of a moving truck, no less) at a mailbox he thought was plastic...

Around here they would make you take that up because of the liability aspect. Although, some people are making a covering for their boxes. Seems like 12 inch metal pipe is one of the favorites.

TCRanch":18kb05n5 said:
If you live out in the country, chances are at some point in time your mailbox has been run over, beat up, shot at or even stolen. Happened to us again last week and one of our friends just showed up with "a little something he put together". The box is made of steel, the pieces are cut with a laser/welded together and weighs around 75 lbs. It's welded on to oil field pipe that is cemented inside a semi rim with sucker rod threaded through the holes in the rim and driven into the ground (probably another 150 lbs). Virtually indestructible! And one of the nicest surprise gifts we have ever received.

I really like that

TCRanch":16qvub3j said:
ez14.":16qvub3j said:
TCRanch":16qvub3j said:
Me too! Tempted to put out game cameras for our entertainment but you know they'd disappear within a week.
It Ain't right but if someone hit that with a bat and got hurt you'd be sued so fast!
True. But precisely why we have a ridiculously huge umbrella on our insurance policy. Can't fix stupid but at least we can be prepared.

Check your laws before doing it. That could be considered a trap.

Brute 23":e6axv49r said:
TCRanch":e6axv49r said:
ez14.":e6axv49r said:
It Ain't right but if someone hit that with a bat and got hurt you'd be sued so fast!
True. But precisely why we have a ridiculously huge umbrella on our insurance policy. Can't fix stupid but at least we can be prepared.

Check your laws before doing it. That could be considered a trap.

...and it could get someone killed if they drift off the road and hit it with a car.

So far I haven't found anything specifically illegal about but I'll ask a friend of ours that's an attorney. The USPS guidelines state:
The best mailbox supports are stable but bend or fall away if a car hits them. The Federal Highway Administration recommends:

A 4" x 4" wooden support or a 2"-diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe.
Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).
Bury your post no more than 24" deep.

The nearest house is a mile away and there are about 5 houses along that mile stretch of road, 3 of which have farm implements (old plow, etc). There's not a lot of traffic in my neck of the woods.

Brute 23":1pgg2x46 said:
Have you tried cameras?
No. A camera could possibly be secured to one of the corner posts but otherwise there's nothing around but the crossroads & fence.

The Sherrif Dept posts their activity log and there have been numerous "mailbox incidents" lately - and those are the just the ones reported (we didn't file a report). One of our neighbors said the Sheriff either knows or strongly suspects who is responsible so I'm assuming the fun will soon be over.

Latest posts