Anyone tried this?

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms said:
kenny thomas said:
Castrating one earlier tonight and didn't turn the Immobilizer up high enough. The second the scalpel touched the nut he kicked me in the stomach. Knocked me down. I got up and turned it up until he couldn't move and finished the job. Sure is sore where he kicked me though.
Worst thing is I am old enough to know better. I can make them not move so no excuse.

Be careful Kenny. Could've been your shin or even worse, your face. Seen people get hurt pretty bad from a kick like that. Glad it wasn't worse :tiphat:

My buddy and I each tried out the Zip Bandits with great results on calves at weaning. My bull calve laid around quite a bit the day of banding, but was up and eating the next day and never missed a beat. Nuts fell off in about 3 weeks. I think the company ran into some patent issues, but they say they're close to opening shop again. You can call them and request a sample pack. They have a couple videos on youtube.

https://zipbandit.com/

NonTypicalCPA said:
My buddy and I each tried out the Zip Bandits with great results on calves at weaning. My bull calve laid around quite a bit the day of banding, but was up and eating the next day and never missed a beat. Nuts fell off in about 3 weeks. I think the company ran into some patent issues, but they say they're close to opening shop again. You can call them and request a sample pack. They have a couple videos on youtube.

https://zipbandit.com/

I used the Zipbandit last year with good results on a 6wt calf (I also cut the scrotum). You just have to make sure you pull it tight enough that the end meets the rubber. I had correspondence with the maker of zipbandit last winter and they were temporarily shut down due to some sort of patent issue(actually she said a competitor lawsuit). They told me then they would be back and running in June. I will email them and see if they are selling again.

So if you cut the scrotum when you band, wouldn't you risk the testicle falling out? I mean, you don't what that just dangling right??

cowgirl8 said:
So if you cut the scrotum when you band, wouldn't you risk the testicle falling out? I mean, you don't what that just dangling right??

Slit just big enough to see the tips of the testicles. They dry up into prunes in about 5 days.

Update, I ran out of tetnus anti-toxin when I done 3 calves 3 weeks ago. Guess what, one got tetnus and after trying to save it for a few days it got down and I finished it off. I bought 30 doses Saturday so back to the drawing board.

Aaron said:
cowgirl8 said:

Slit just big enough to see the tips of the testicles. They dry up into prunes in about 5 days.
I don't think I'd risk it. That slit rips or rots enough for one to slip out. Never had a problem just banding no matter the size.
Sorry about your calf KT.