Help Support CattleToday:

DOC HARRIS":26w9zckf said:
dun":26w9zckf said:
DOC HARRIS":26w9zckf said:
too small Frame score.

DOC HARRIS

For a Dexter he is too small framed?

dun
No - for a BEEF bull - plus all the other negative traits I mentioned.

DOC HARRIS

I agree with the feet and leg probmes, but it's a Dexter so the frame would be small. Dexters aren't designed to be a heavy beef type bull, they're dual purpose.
I just don;t understand the critism of something concerning a Dexter that is breed characteristic.

dun

dun - I don't disagree with you in principle concerning Dexter's, but I just don't care for small framed, so-called Beef Cattle. Must be a carry-over from the 40's and 50's! :shock: ;-) My prejudice, I guess.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":1ljjgi5s said:
dun - I don't disagree with you in principle concerning Dexter's, but I just don't care for small framed, so-called Beef Cattle. Must be a carry-over from the 40's and 50's! :shock: ;-) My prejudice, I guess.

DOC HARRIS

In the traditional beef breeds I couldn;t agree more. But Dexters were developed for a specific purpose and still fulfill it. They were never a breed that was intended to be large framed or marketed like tradtiinal beef breeds either. I don;t claissify longhorns as a beef breed, kind of neither fish nor fowl. But they do have a place, not here and not with me or in the true beef industry, but they do have a place.
That should get folks spun up pretty well

dun

This is an honest question about the cattle of the 40's and 50's as I wasn't born till much later.

If the herefords snd angus was about the size of modern day dexters, how small was the dexters of that era, or did the escape the pony craze. Were they more acceptable in those days?

I appreciate the feedback on the Dexter bulls. For what it's worth, Prince measures 46" and Hedgehog measures 39" at the hip. Also, they're dual-purpose animals, though I don't think there are any Dexter dairies in the US, but many people do keep a Dexter as a family cow for milking. And most people who butcher one don't expect or want large quantities of beef. Most people we talk to want the small Dexter they've heard about...the trick is keeping them small without the chondrodysplasia gene carrying over (DNA testing is available now)...then there are others who worry that in breeding this gene out, other desirable characteristics will go with it, so they are willing to risk the odds of a dead "bulldog" calf (1 in 4 when breeding two carriers). Yes, there are definite areas for improvement, as Dun pointed out (feet, for sure). Dealing with a restricted gene pool and trying to preserve older genetics is challenging and an area of ongoing controversy among breeders today.

I like Dun's comment about Dexters still fulfilling the purpose for which they were developed. I hope this remains true in the future.

Doc, I respect your expertise on beef animals, always read your conformation posts on the other breeds, and appreciate your comments on Prince and Hedgehog. The Angus bull posted by jscunn is, I think, magnificent…but comparing a Dexter to him would be silly…completely different purpose if you ask me…I'd have to get several large freezers for all of that beef. That's just not what Dexters are all about.

Knersie, if you want to see Dexters of the past, you can have a look here
http://www.dex-info.net/photos_list.htm

There's also the South African Dexter association:
http://www.studbook.co.za/society/dexter/index.htm

As for more 'acceptabililty' long ago, I cannot say. Certainly Dexters aren't going to compete with commercial beef breeds, but for small farms that want some cattle for milk and beef where they control what goes into that animal, I say why not? (And this type of operation is increasing, is it not?) Like anyone else, I'm pleased to be able to get dinner out of our own freezer and know how the animal was raised.

Hi Boon,

Sorry for my slow response... I've been away looking at cattle :)

I had a close look and the Heisman bull, looks like his legs are slight. I reckon though with 950K it's the angle of the photographer, i.e. standing way in front of the animal. Should have been standing at the shoulder. That bull is a very outstanding looking beast. I can only hope I'll have one like that on our pasture some day.

The question you asked earlier regarding leg thickness... I posed it to folk attending, this week, the largest S'pol sale in Australia - ever. I paid extra, particular, attention to legs too that day... BTW, I'm very fussy about "correctness". I didn't think, in the past, or consider now leg thickness to be anything out of the ordinary of a medium framed Bos taurus, which is what the breed are, medium frame. I'm also very happy to report not one person thought different. Often the question was taken with amusement, followed by various crass, amusing responses!!! Can you imagine? I asked people who I knew were not already involved in the S'pol breed (yet interested), people who were very experienced with other breeds, beef producers mostly and stud operators. I also asked a few others I know have an enormous amount of experience with S'pol, "is there any health related problems with legs, you know like... maybe bone thickness". The responses were given with absolute certainty, "none" and "never"!

I'm always keen to hear anyone's opinion at S'pol sales, because, I'm just getting established and I really want to know... Judging by the way the sale went, 182 lots grossing AUD$861000, it suggests after 15 years of S'pol in AU they are becoming very much a part of the beef industry in subtropical and tropical Australia. They got a ticket out of my cheque book :D

Rob what is the breed of the bull you posted? There are so many breeds I am not familiar with, also so many mixed breeds now, I have noticed other people have questioned what certain breeds are. It would help if the breed was posted with the picture. Not griping just suggesting.Back to your bull he is a nice looking bull

100_0514.jpg

I know I've posted this photo before but this is one of our proven Longhorn herdsires. He tends to put good conformation and especially horn on his calves. he's Levi 6 son, a Roundup grandson.

Latest posts