Which breeds have not gone black?

Help Support CattleToday:

andybob

Reaction score
With several breeds starting black strains, how many have not done so, and how many breeds discriminate AGAINST black colouration?
Herefords and Shorthorn appear not to be going down that route the Tuli is strongly selected against even a small spot of black.

Andybob":3fr0uw33 said:
With several breeds starting black strains, how many have not done so, and how many breeds discriminate AGAINST black colouration?
Herefords and Shorthorn appear not to be going down that route the Tuli is strongly selected against even a small spot of black.
There is a group that is starting a Black Hereford Assn. or should I say Ass. The American Hereford Assn. is not for it though. Thank God.
I don't know of a Black Charolais breed either. If I'm wrong maybe MikeC will correct me.

la4angus":39quofk1 said:
I don't know of a Black Charolais breed either.

They're not separate breeds, but there are now both red and black Charolais. Check out the Laue Charolais Ranch website. As for the original question, there are quite a few breeds that haven't gone black......yet. I could never come up with them all and most would be considered "minor" breeds.

I made an observation years ago. It seemed like the black GV,SIMM, LIMI etc when they were black the ended up being tighter wound, less appealing and didn't look that good. Were there some black foundation bulls that simply were not that good setting the breed behind a bit.

Is this because they were breeding quality up at the same time. Now the black ones look excellent from all aspects.

There are no balck Red Polls :clap: :)

Aren't santa Gerts motto - "red by design"

I like that moxy.

I don't really like the trend torward black. Sooner than later it will be a the detriment of the breed. Take simms for example, now they have black big time. What is red comes back in 10 years, will they go red? This type of selection for color cannot be good in the long term for the breed. When you start selecting for color, you inevitably also lose other desirable traits. I don't go for those who say, I've moved to black with my _______, and the quality is much better.

Each breed has a place. If your trying to be like angus, why not just buy angus, or if your feeling wild buy brangus?

Cypress, while I agree if you want to specific breed you should just use that breed. But be comfortable with your program and your cattle, don't worry what the neighbours are doing. Good cattle sell well ALL OF THE TIME.

I don't understand your comment about "when you select for black you lose other desirable traits" What traits are those?

On another board, I believe it was Ryan, brought up a Longhorn breeder that guarantees a black or black and white calf out of his herd sire. I also have seen his ads posted in a magazine we get. Personally(as a longhorn breeder myself) don't want all black. Part of the attraction of the breed is variation of color.JMHO :cboy:

SEC,

I think Cypress meant that by single trait selecting (this would be color) you will always loose something. For example, when these other breeds decided to go black, several great red bulls and females were passed up because they weren't black. Several bulls that were were used were just so so in quality, but they were black, so they lost some performance, or calving ease or something, only because they single selected for color.

houstoncutter":2my0m8tf said:
Cypress, believe it or not, but they now have black Gerts. Neighbor down the road has one.

Oh no Joe, say it aint so!!!!!

BRG":2my0m8tf said:
SEC,

I think Cypress meant that by single trait selecting (this would be color) you will always loose something. For example, when these other breeds decided to go black, several great red bulls and females were passed up because they weren't black. Several bulls that were were used were just so so in quality, but they were black, so they lost some performance, or calving ease or something, only because they single selected for color.

Yes, that's what I meant. When you start selecting only for color, you will inevitably overlook some animals that may be superior genetically but just don't have the right color.

Take Thoroughbred horses for example. For a couple of hundred years they have been bred only for speed. While that will get you a fast horse, you also (today) will find a horse that is not an easy keeper, one that is likely tempermental (not always, though), and has poor feet. Since most are only "used" for three to four years, these defects are overlooked, but again, to the detriment of the breed.

My concern is that by just "going black" breeds may lose some of the special qualities that made them useful breeds in the first place.

Black Herefords; give me a break!

Black Herefords; give me a break!

Let's see I guess a black baldie could be a black Hereford????

I will stick with my RED POLLS and yes they are still RED :D

BL Nite Chex is a homozygous black bull that will give you all black or black and white calves. Many Longhorn breeders use him to add black color to their herds. He is a straight Longhorn (has not been turned black by adding Angus) but he is not one of my favorite bulls. He's very short bodied in my opinion. I have seen some decent daughters out of him though. Warpaint, your cow Oreo is out of a bull that had the homozygous black gene. All of his offspring was either black or black and white.

Rustler9":pfjvfkg6 said:
BL Nite Chex is a homozygous black bull that will give you all black or black and white calves. Many Longhorn breeders use him to add black color to their herds. He is a straight Longhorn (has not been turned black by adding Angus) but he is not one of my favorite bulls. He's very short bodied in my opinion. I have seen some decent daughters out of him though. Warpaint, your cow Oreo is out of a bull that had the homozygous black gene. All of his offspring was either black or black and white.

Yeah, I knew she was. I was just saying that I don't want my whole herd to be black.

As far as i know the only colour is red , solid red for Gerts ,Star Fives can be other colours. I posted one not that long ago. But the true Gerts are solid red I think bward will confirm this with me.

TK

Latest posts