What’s eating your pastures

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
What y'all got eating your grass these days
I myself run a mixed herd I've got some Herefords some black cows Had some longhorns but they had to go on down the road. I like the size if my Herefords ain't had a calf of them yet.

Besides our cattle, mostly angus, some herefords, charl crosses, the D#@N DEER. Whitetails everywhere and out at all hours of the day and night lately. Have a bumper crop of them...

DCA I refer to mine as "mongrels" as there is every color in the world out there. Nothing pure blood and nothing full blood, just what I consider good sound cattle that raise a decent calf.

TexasBred said:
DCA I refer to mine as "mongrels" as there is every color in the world out there. Nothing pure blood and nothing full blood, just what I consider good sound cattle that raise a decent calf.

I ain't got papers on none of mine so we are in same boat.

Couple sale barn heifers. Hopefully bred after eating here since 400#. And the little guy in the back will be for eating a some point.

Caustic Burno said:
The deer are worth a lot more than cattle in this part of the world.

The biggest problem we have here are the idiots that post their land, and then the deer spend their time there, breeding, and in the hayfields eating, and they run back there as soon as fall comes and hide. Plus, so many of the hayfields now are too close to houses for shooting with anything more than a bow.... or the "homeowner idiots" protest that you are shooting all the pretty deer in the field. Believe me, it is becoming a real problem. There are not alot of big parcels that you can find to lease for deer hunting. We lease out the rabbit hunting to a retired vet friend on our 75 acre place, and have a couple people who come out to deer hunt. Not safe to deer hunt on the 10 acre orchard grass field with houses on 3 sides.... the rest is rented land, and they either "let family" hunt it or it sits because no one can get their a$$ going to come hunt but a token time or two. We were begging people to come hunt the groundhogs and the coyotes a few years back when they went through a population explosion. I am not that good of a shot; I was pretty good before my car wreck in 1989, but have some trouble unless using a tripod to hold it steady due to loss of muscle and nerve damage in my right hand, and the arthritis now in my shoulder. I can dispose of something fairly close, and have hit several ground hogs here at the house when in the garden, but not at a distance.

Got all these a$$holes that "don't believe in hunting" in this area now..... I am just waiting for the deer to start damaging their fancy high priced landscaping and then will sit back and laugh.... The bear are starting to be a problem and I just smile when I hear how "hard it is for them to have to take in their bird feeders every night"..... Can't wait til one of them has a bear break into their house after smelling food or garbage or something...... "Oh but they are soooooo beautiful......"