What’s everyone else using

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
Even though I freeze brand we still use ear tags for baby calves. I have fairly poor eyesight and a pretty strong stigmatism so I carry a pair of binoculars with when I check cows on grass so I can read ear tags. Last fall my old cheap binoculars finally fell apart. I haven't replaced them yet but it's time.
Looking for something small but good enough to read tags at 30-40yds.
Lots of choices out there. What binoculars do you folks like?

Thanks.

I think mine are Bushnell. I'm like you my eye sight isn't very good either. I'm all time getting them to see what something is out on the hills

I've got 2 pair, cheap pocket size binocular sports glasses 4x30 and large tasco 7x50 use them about twice a year.

10x42 is generally the most recommended size for multi use.
Vortex diamondback 10x42 is hard to beat but $199
Nikon prostaff 10x42 gets high scores $99 at amazon 4.7 on 1,950 ratings

When in doubt I've always been well served going with Amazon's Choice
Amazon's Choice occer 12x25 compact binoculars $31 pocket size, just .64 lbs and 4.4 on 25,392 ratings

SBMF - I don't know what others mean about high priced binoculars being well worth the money when your main use will be
to read ear tags at 30-40 yards. Something I'd want to get done as cheaply as possible. 12x25 big upgrade over my 4x30

Last edited:
I've got 2 pair, cheap pocket size binocular sports glasses 4x30 and large tasco 7x50 use them about twice a year.

10x42 is generally the most recommended size for multi use.
Vortex diamondback 10x42 is hard to beat but $199
Nikon prostaff 10x42 gets high scores $99 at amazon 4.7 on 1,950 ratings

When in doubt I've always been well served going with Amazon's Choice
Amazon's Choice occer 12x25 compact binoculars $31 pocket size, just .64 lbs and 4.4 on 25,392 ratings

SBMF - I don't know what others mean about high priced binoculars being well worth the money when your main use will be
to read ear tags at 30-40 yards. Something I'd want to get done as cheaply as possible. 12x25 big upgrade over my 4x30
$199 isn't high priced for binoculars, especially with a good warranty. I have one set that needs sent in right now, got busted in on of our truck beds, the product line is discontinued and they've agreed to send me its newer successor. As to why I'd recommend it? I rarely buy a tool that can only do one job. I have cheapo binoculars too, they're my last ditch option.

I've had a pair of Steiner military/ marine for 20 yrs that are great. Bought a pair of Vortex diamond backs last year to keep in another truck and don't really care for them. I can see through them great but have trouble getting them adjusted when first looking throwing them up to look at something.

$199 isn't high priced for binoculars,
$199 isn't high priced for checking calf ear tags?
Okay, if you say so, but it's 6.4 times more than $31 binoculars.

Browsing on Amazon Toyuit 20x50 binoculars $39.98 looks like a great deal and look very durable 4.4 on 1,090 ratings
At $40 you could replace them 5 times, instead of overpaying for vortex wonderful warranty
but maybe vortex adds lbs to weaning weights and worth it

Browsing on Amazon Toyuit 20x50 binoculars $39.98 looks like a great deal and look very durable 4.4 on 1,090 ratings
At $40 you could replace them 5 times, instead of overpaying for vortex wonderful warranty
You do you, a tool's worth varies from user to user. To me, 2 hundo is cheap for good glass. You probably have a tool you spent more on than my own version of the same, probably with your own reasons.

Yes and you're recommending $200 tool when a $40 tool will accomplish the user's task.
Do you have a government job?
He asked what everyone's using. I stated what I use for binoculars and stated why. You chose to make a comment about the people recommending "high dollar" glass without even having the bark to @us or quote the posts. I replied to you, specifically, as to what I use and why I like it. If that bothers you, I'm so deeply sorry to hear that. And no, my primary means of employment isn't through the government, though I'm sure you were angling more for an insult than expressing any curiosity. That only really reflects poorly on you ;)

I replied to you, specifically, as to what I use and why I like it.
Reply to the op, not me. I didn't ask and already have 2 pair that I seldom use.
I didn't single you out by saying others, or direct my comment to you, but to SBMF and pointed out price differences for him
to consider.

Last edited:
Reply to the op, not me. I didn't ask and already have 2 pair that I seldom use.
I didn't single you out by saying others, or direct my comment to you, but to SBMF and pointed out price difference for him to consider.
I did reply to the OP, originally. As far as replying to you, I don't see where it says I can't do that. You voiced an opinion, I voiced mine. I was right peaceable about it, you were a smartazz. Simple as.

I did reply to the OP, originally. As far as replying to you, I don't see where it says I can't do that. You voiced an opinion, I voiced mine. I was right peaceable about it, you were a smartazz. Simple as.
Not smartazz - common sense - you told him vortex were well worth the money (for checking ear tags) without giving a price.

Not smartazz - common sense - you told him vortex were well worth the money (for checking ear tags) without giving a price.
Okay
$199 isn't high priced for binoculars, especially with a good warranty. I have one set that needs sent in right now, got busted in on of our truck beds, the product line is discontinued and they've agreed to send me its newer successor. As to why I'd recommend it? I rarely buy a tool that can only do one job. I have cheapo binoculars too, they're my last ditch option.

You do you, a tool's worth varies from user to user. To me, 2 hundo is cheap for good glass. You probably have a tool you spent more on than my own version of the same, probably with your own reasons.
Yes and you're recommending $200 tool when a $40 tool will accomplish the op's task.
Do you have a government job?
Uh huh. Sure, buddy.

At whatever rate, let's have ourselves a little mosey: I gave him a brand of preference, Vortex binos run the gamut from everywhere from $129 to thousands on their website https://vortexoptics.com/optics/binoculars.html?p=2&product_list_order=price
All the down to a hundo on sale
Amazon product ASIN B019HWK204
There's always something a little unsettling about folks who get het up about what other folks like to buy. If it makes you feel any better, my Henry is wearing a Bushnell ;)

Latest posts