What’s everyone else using

Help Support CattleToday:

My eyesight is really good as is, I'm hoping it holds. On one side of my family men almost never need glasses until they get to the final home stretch, on the other they typically start needing them for reading at around 60-65, but not for plain seeing stuff out and about (there's a term for it, I don't know it).

What you actually said to op...
I'm a Vortex man, myself. Well worth the money with their badazz warranty.
Then you went off on me for giving him prices on three different models (Vortex diamondback 10x42 hard to beat but $199)
and closing with: your main use will be to read ear tags at 30-40 yards. Something I'd want to get done as cheaply as possible.
12x25 big upgrade over my 4x30

And that set off your ranting to me about everything else. (as if I cared)

Last edited:
What you actually said to op...

Then you went off on me for giving him prices on three different models (Vortex diamondback 10x42 hard to beat but $199)
and closing with: your main use will be to read ear tags at 30-40 yards. Something I'd want to get done as cheaply as possible.
12x25 big upgrade over my 4x30

And that set off your ranting to me about everything else. (as if I cared)
Whatever you've got to tell yourself, buddy.

Several years back I was at a NASCAR race with my BIL. We both had binoculars and after awhile I noticed he wouldn't look through his anymore. When I ask him why he said they gave him a headache. Well they were some cheap maybe $30 binoculars so I handed him the $200 Steiners and he was blown away. I know this isn't the same as looking at ear tags but you definitely get what you pay for. The place better binoculars really shine is in low light conditions. That being said I'm not against a really cheap pair to keep in the feed rig. The main thing is that they focus quickly and don't have the pesky black spots.

German made? My Grandpa had a pair he took off a deceased Nazi. They always seemed really well made.
Nah, all US. My father was a Vo-Ag teacher and he used to go to Nashville to buy scrap metal for the school. The place also had a war surplus store. We had tons of old war surplus around when I was growing up. We even had a couple of old parachutes that we tied between two trees on a hill in the yard. I spent a lot of hours playing in that thing as a young kid.

I have two Leopold 10x42. I sets in the basket on my quad 24/7. They aren't cheap but not terrible expensive either. They are both over 10 years old and have given me real good service.
Leupold products are notorious for being able to take a beating.

Low power and the straight tube style would be where I would start. Lots of good brands will do the job and you can spend as much as you vcan stomach. 😄

Hmm, look what showed up today View attachment 30536View attachment 30537
There 10x25mm. Didn't break the bank but weren't big box store cheap either.
I already am happy with the size. We'll see how well they do.
Thanks everyone.
I have a pair of those and a little higher end pair of Leupolds. The little ones are nice and light and don't take up much room. They work well enough for general ranch use. I think I got mine using Cabela's bucks earned on the credit card use. The higher end ones are better for hunting, other than the weight.

Hmm, look what showed up today View attachment 30536View attachment 30537
There 10x25mm. Didn't break the bank but weren't big box store cheap either.
I already am happy with the size. We'll see how well they do.
Thanks everyone.
Good buy. Good binos are an investment worth making, I hope you'll like them. I've owned several pieces of Leupy glass, I've always been happy with them as a company.

Latest posts