training a pup cattle dog

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Anyone have some advice on the best way to go about it? I know instinct is a huge portion of abilities. So far, snickers goes out we me each morning to feed. She follows me out all excited, but hangs back 70 ft or so from the group. Even the calves want to see what she's about, but she's not to keen on them. She's happy to check fences with me too. I really like this pup and want to maximize her potential.

How old is Snickers now? I don't know much about aussies (we have Catahoulas) but we've always let our puppies tell us when they're ready to go to work. Give him lots of exposure, keep taking him with you, and when she starts getting closer and starting to do something with the cattle, you'll know it's getting close to time to start working training. My other piece of advice would be to find somebody that works with cow-dogs the way you want to work with Snickers, and get their help right from the word go. You can avoid making early mistakes that take a long time to correct and re-train. Enjoy your puppy while she's still a puppy!

Fargus, she's 12 weeks now. Very outgoing, but listens well. She's a lab x aussie. So we got lucky as far as stubbornness goes.
She freely follows me out to feed, so I think that's a good sign at her young age. She just doesn't have the confidence wit the group yet. Ill keep looking for the signs, and hopefully get someone local that knows the game to help out.
Thanks

Gotcha, don't get in a hurry at that age. If she's not doing much by the time she 10+ months old I'd be worried, but at 12 weeks she's just getting her legs under her.

hooknline":2vaerzh7 said:
Anyone have some advice on the best way to go about it? I know instinct is a huge portion of abilities. So far, snickers goes out we me each morning to feed. She follows me out all excited, but hangs back 70 ft or so from the group. Even the calves want to see what she's about, but she's not to keen on them. She's happy to check fences with me too. I really like this pup and want to maximize her potential.

what are you wanting to train the dog to do ?

Get some ducks, let her start herding on them. It works ,and alot of guys use them as a starting point with pups. Especially if they are the only SD on the place and there is not vet to train them up.

hooknline":3hcoyw4p said:
She already chases the chickens, does that count?

Well that depends , does she chase or herd ? :lol: Btw the answer is dependant upon your perspective of exactly what herding is :cboy: :p

Best dog I ever had was a lab X aussie. Never really trained her, she just picked it up. Took her with me every time I worked around the cattle, and she just learned what I wanted to do. Best thing was I had a couple older cows had learned if they went into the pond (5ac lake) I wouldn't go in after them. But that dog sure would and bring them out. Oddest sight, a dog herding cattle while swimming. She broke the cows of hitting the water. If she was with me, they wouldn't even try it.

hillsdown":2supzza6 said:
hooknline":2supzza6 said:
She already chases the chickens, does that count?

Well that depends , does she chase or herd ? :lol: Btw the answer is dependant upon your perspective of exactly what herding is :cboy: :p

I guess it's gonna depend on which side of her pedigree she listens to. She might just place on in his hand. Sounds like a great dog. Time will tell if she is a great "cow" dog.

Isomade":1fmuuq31 said:
cross_7":1fmuuq31 said:
i would say if she doesn't have the desire to work already then she may never.
if you have never trained a stock dog before then start with this video
http://www.theperfectstockdog.com/
I can tell you, if it aint in em there isn't much you can do.

if you really are wanting a stock dog there are people that have spent years training and breeding dogs and will sell you a started dog or a pup.
just my personal opinion i really like the mccallum line of border collies.

Will do TB. Thanks everyone for the replies. I've got a neighbor who breeds the aussies, and ill give them a call also

Like was said , depends what side they listen to . Chaseing chickens could be the prey drive in the lab coming out . I'am not a Aussie fan , never seen one that worked cattle worth a darn , chase frisbies like a champ but couldn't herd if the cow was already in the pen .

A good border collie can be a god sent and your worst nightmare . If you don't have work for them, they will find something to herd and it may not be what you want herded.

If you can find someone who has one a young pup will always benefit from following an older dog around a herd. That is the easiest way for us to train our pups, but starting from scratch be sure and stay consistent with commands. Start with your basics of following you (heel), laying down, staying in one place with you walking away, etc because you can't start trying to train them on moving cows when they won't mind you around the yard.

Whomever thinks a pup would show interest at 3 months old is not experienced with cow dogs. Some dogs don't turn on til a year old..some earlier. Mine didn't til he was 10 months old then it was like *wham!* he started getting interested. My dog is a catahoula and he works hogs. I'm hoping to get him on cattle but don't know anyone in the Kansas area (would be willing to travel to other nearby states) to start him off on.

Hook, I don't know if this will be of any help to you but a couple of breeders recommended it to me. I am starting a Border Collie. The principals should be the same. Go to www.ruralrouteviedes.com/ and look at this video. "Starting Border Collies on Cattle, Sheep and Ducks".
I hope this is of help to you. :tiphat:

Latest posts