training a pup cattle dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks Homplace. I'll check it out.
So far she's doing real well. Finding her confidence with the cows.
She's been rolled a few times but gets right back at it.
The lab in her is starting to come out also.
She's a great dog. Smarter than my kids.

I also heard that training a dog is easier when you also have an older trained dog around. The puppy will copy the behavior of the older one or the older dog will train the puppy. Of course you will also have to take care of the pup anyway!
It's great that the dog finally starts realizing the potential! Very good!

wenbley":1kzxderi said:
I also heard that training a dog is easier when you also have an older trained dog around. The puppy will copy the behavior of the older one or the older dog will train the puppy. Of course you will also have to take care of the pup anyway!
It's great that the dog finally starts realizing the potential! Very good!
Most of the hog hunters in my area use that method they put a old dog and a pup in the bay pen . The young dog will try and act like the old one .

We have Texas Heelers and these pups were heeling a 1200 pound bull at 6 weeks old. Good thing the ole bull was a quiet fella. They were absolutely fearless. They wanted that bull pushed back in the back corner and that's where he went. Bred in ability is the number one thing, but you have to be able to control things so it's also necessary that you train any dog in basic obedience or they will find fun things to do with cattle that are not so desired. It can save a life, the cow, the dog or yours.

My dogs, I have 1 "ole" dog (past 10 yrs old) and 3 pups, 8 months old at this time. I was on a waiting list too long for a pup so I bought a female, found a working dog to breed her to, then sold her and the pups except 3 we wanted to keep. We'll probably end up just keeping one but wanted to raise 3 in order to choose the one we feel will work best here. We aren't ranchers, our farm dogs multitask. They guard my poultry. They don't touch the chickens and will let them eat out of their dish but let some varmint enter our 40 acres and these guys don't chase off or scare the varmints, they Kill them on the spot whether they're possums, raccoons, skunks or whatever. Sammy, my old dog, will work on his own when sent off to do it. Our Mennonite neighbors often have Boer's and when the creek is low, they would come in on the backside of our pasture and Sam would be sent by just pointing and telling him Go Go Go. He would go, whip the Great Pyrenee's with the goats, round the goats up (about 30 of them) run them down the fence line to the spot by the creek they came under. When the last one was back home, Sam would return on his own to the house.

We've had Texas Heelers here for over 15 yrs. One dog before Sam, then Sam and now these 3 pups. I think we've finally chosen the one we'll keep and the other 2 will sell quickly. I could have sold three times as many pups as I raised. Anyone else raise these dogs? They are a cross between the Aussie and Heeler and the pups are better than either parent, IMHO

This is Sam at age 10 and still on duty
Sam-TexasHeelerSept2011.jpg

Here are the pups, at 6 months old.
Maggie
Maggie28Feb2012.jpg

This is Tex, some of the TH's don't have erect ears like Sam's.
Tex28Mar2012.jpg

This is Max
Max28Mar2012.jpg

The gang, they were sitting and staying at 6 weeks....all as a group.
20Feb2012_Sam_Maggie_Tex_Max.jpg