Stray dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
There's been posting of a stray dog sighting around town the last few weeks, we're 16 miles out.. and I guess he thought our place was a good place to call home.. I was just gonna dispose of him but he seems like a really nice dog, probably a year or two old, he's shy and scared right now but he doesn't seem aggressive at all.. Today, Friday the 13th was his lucky day, I thawed a nice marrow bone and gave it to him, He really gently came up to me and took it from my hand, and then has been in heaven since.. We really don't want a dog and there's people in town that'll take him and adopt him, so I'll let him calm down and he gets a shot at a good lifeIMG_20230113_112117_860.jpg

That looks like a purebred German Shepherd. He's young. This is the ideal age to train. Our Germ Shep guards the home. the ranch and us and knows 30 commands. She has run off assorted aggressive drug crazed bums (in town) and a bear from the yard.

If you took him to a vet he might have a chip that could be scanned. Someone might be looking high and low for him.

That dog's physiognamy lends to him being well-bred. I'd call him a free dog over a stray. We accumulate animals in this family like some people accumulate debt, sometimes you get a stray you just can't kill and sometimes you win the lottery on a free critter. Way she goes. I got a really, really good cur dog for free once because somebody threw her out at the end of the driveway. She was a fine, fine dog. Grandfather named her, sometimes wished we had come up with a better name than "the brindle b****" or "brindle" for short.

Inga chose me also. When I went to the breeder and sat down among the little puppies. She came toddling over and got in my lap. I thought thats nice and put her aside so I could see the personality of the others. She came and got in my lap three times. Some things are just meant to be.
100_0943.JPG

We just ain't dog people, but this is evidently a good dog and I have a friend that works at the vet office in town, he's known all around town already, bit of a celebrity on the animal pages on facebook by now... The word has definitely been out and no one has claimed him. I don't doubt it could be that someone just couldn't afford him... I got a bag of dog food yesterday and I have about 50 lbs of marrow bones for him..

Not accepting pettings yet but he's one of the mildest mannered Shepherds I've ever seen... I think is last owner had a Cummins powered truck, anytime I start my truck he comes over from the house to see what's upIMG_20230113_145311_927.jpgIMG_20230113_151649_487.jpgIMG_20230114_113046_831.jpg

Awww, the look on his face in that last picture pretty much sums him up. He's timid/submissive, but wants to be friends. He's just afraid, and needs some time to become comfortable around his new situation. Our male LGD has that same expression, and he's the sweetest dog to ever walk on four legs. If it were me, I'd have to keep that guy. He definitely looks like a keeper. I feel so sad for him that he's obviously lost or abandoned, and he must be so confused. His world has been turned upside down. Be gentle with him. :)

Awww, the look on his face in that last picture pretty much sums him up. He's timid/submissive, but wants to be friends. He's just afraid, and needs some time to become comfortable around his new situation. Our male LGD has that same expression, and he's the sweetest dog to ever walk on four legs. If it were me, I'd have to keep that guy. He definitely looks like a keeper. I feel so sad for him that he's obviously lost or abandoned, and he must be so confused. His world has been turned upside down. Be gentle with him. :)
I'm definitely letting him get comfortable, approaching on his terms, etc... Coyotes were yodelling a half hour ago and he finally found his voice, he released a couple woofs!

He's warding off predators.

German Shepherds bond to their family and guard the property. He has lost his family, thats why he is stand offish. Horrible things have happened to him while he was lost. They also read your 'vibes' and that you don't really want him. From his color and build he is of West German lines.

My parents were worried the yotes would lure him out and attack him, but if he's been wandering alone for 3 weeks with no trouble I figure he knows what they're up to. Sure sticks to my mother pretty close, Dad came to the shop today, he wasn't worth following apparently. One of my friend's in town said she just about had him in her car, and well, he nearly gets into my truck too, nearly lets you pet him... I'll just treat him like the skittish calves that like to sneak behind you to sniff.. give them time and food!

You could try this, too, if you have a little extra time. Just sit somewhere quietly, near him, for 10 minutes or so, with some kind of treat. Keep your back to him at first, and just let him approach at his own pace. When he gets close, give him the treat and say good boy in a soft voice. If he'll take treat from your hand, great, but if not, set it on the ground near you and work up to handing it to him. He'll come around in short order, I think. Sounds like he's definitely worth keeping. A good dog is a priceless asset. :)

Latest posts