Dog that gets car sick suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

What worked for us was taking her for short trips to someplace fun, like a park or up in the hills for a hike. It was all about the stress of the destination (which was usually the vet). Spending quality time with her on these trips really made a difference.

I have a dog that I really like and he's no trouble whatsoever but, he cannot ride in a vehicle. Vomits within a few minutes, and continues to do so all the time till there's nothing left, and, it comes out the other end as well. I plan a trip back to East Texas either Thanksgiving or Christmas for a few days and would really like to take him because I know no one here well enough to ask them to look after him a few days and as far as I can find, there's no pet boarding places here either. Is there anything I can give him to help take care of his motion sickness for a 4 hour drive each way?

I raise Mountain Curs and they are kind of know for getting car sick I have learned most do better if they ride where they can not see out going down the road and most of mine grow out of it in time

Crated. I didn't want him pooping and vomiting all over the place inside and he would have baled out of an open bed pickup. I tried many times and he wouldn't even ride in the bed going from house to the pond. I would have to tie him in with the lead short to keep him from jumping out and hangin himself.
I've had other dogs ya coudn't keep them OUT of the truck cab. One, I had to watch close..he loved to ride and would get in any vehicle door left open more than a few seconds. (maybe he just didn't like me?)

I have a dog that I really like and he's no trouble whatsoever but, he cannot ride in a vehicle. Vomits within a few minutes, and continues to do so all the time till there's nothing left, and, it comes out the other end as well. I plan a trip back to East Texas either Thanksgiving or Christmas for a few days and would really like to take him because I know no one here well enough to ask them to look after him a few days and as far as I can find, there's no pet boarding places here either. Is there anything I can give him to help take care of his motion sickness for a 4 hour drive each way?
I have found chlorpromazine tablets effective for the prevention of car sickness.

GB,
Contact your vet (I've been a dead animal/large animal vet for so long, I have no idea what sort of small animal meds are out there anymore) for advice &/or drugs.

If vomiting/defecation are, as you've stated, a consistent response... hold him NPO (no food/water orally) for 12 hrs prior to departure, and be sure to give him plenty of chance before you load up, to 'do his business'... perhaps that will at least diminish the amount of material available for him to pass from either end.

Latest posts