Looking for Australian Cattle Dog pup

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
My daughter recently lost her 13 year old red heeler bitch. She will be driving truck to Kansas next week from Vermont.
Does anyone know of a red puppy for sale? Does not have to be registered, but want full heeler.
I have owned the breed for 50 years, so we are familiar with them.

I found our blue heeler on Craigslist. Maybe not the most appealing advertising source but it worked out good in our situation that time as the breeder had working lines and had a couple different litters. Some of the older litter were going to be sent to Montana. I often wish I had kept some contact information but didn't. Our dog isn't registered, but definitely full heeler attitude and all.

Yes. None of mine have ever been registered - but all pure heeler. Got our first one in 1970. Back then young Aussies would come over to US with their guitar and dog to work on a cattle farm. We were in Kansas back then. That's how the breed got started. Not sure what year AKC recognized them as a breed.

Yup. But, not everyone should own one. YOU have got to be the Alpha (boss). If you can't be firm with your "pet", this is not the breed for you. And, they need to be part of the family. They do not do well as a kenneled or chained dog. They are a pack dog - your family is their pack.

I had a blue healer once. A stray that showed up here. His problem was he thought everyone was his alpha and I couldn't keep him out of anyone's vehicle. If a door was open, he jumped in. Me, the wife, neighbors, the meter maid, UPS driver .. he didn't care, he just wanted to ride. He disappeared one day about the time of the month the girl checks the elec meter so I guess he hitched a ride with her. Hands down, the friendliest dog I ever had, till something (animal type) came around that shouldn't be here. He could turn into a buzz saw at the blink of an eye. When the carnage was done, he'd trot right up to ya and give you that heeler grin.

I had a blue healer once. A stray that showed up here. His problem was he thought everyone was his alpha and I couldn't keep him out of anyone's vehicle. If a door was open, he jumped in. Me, the wife, neighbors, the meter maid, UPS driver .. he didn't care, he just wanted to ride. He disappeared one day about the time of the month the girl checks the elec meter so I guess he hitched a ride with her. Hands down, the friendliest dog I ever had, till something (animal type) came around that shouldn't be here. He could turn into a buzz saw at the blink of an eye. When the carnage was done, he'd trot right up to ya and give you that heeler grin.
Is this what your meter maids look like GB????

Ken

I'm not smart enough to train one.
When I was growing up, we had a few Border Collie's. I could never learn to work the whistle correctly. My father on the other hand could make loud whistles with just his mouth and tounge and he trained ours to herd at his command. The downside was that if the dogs got bored during the day, they might go out and herd the cattle just for fun.

When I was growing up, we had a few Border Collie's. I could never learn to work the whistle correctly. My father on the other hand could make loud whistles with just his mouth and tounge and he trained ours to herd at his command. The downside was that if the dogs got bored during the day, they might go out and herd the cattle just for fun.
I had a Blue heeler that would do that.

Seems every dog or cat I have is a drop or a neighbor not able to take care of.

Somebody dropped Dolly the Border Collie and Sam the big white dog a neighbor had health problems and could no longer care for. Both are good around cattle and are big pets.

bAeuQl0.jpg

Tiger (yellow cat) was in the ditch line as a kitten and I noticed him for three days there until I got him. He has a chip and someone had gotten him from a shelter and then dropped. Sally (gray cat) just showed up at the house one day.

ShJYUlh.jpg

TPvQExJ.jpg

Last edited:
I got a lady in NE Iowa here that raises them. Her's are the real stout made blocky headed kind. Raised around horses but have always made cow dogs. If interested I will get you her number.

I've got to have eyes in the back of my head with my Kelpies.

Ken