Dog that gets car sick suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I have a dog that I really like and he's no trouble whatsoever but, he cannot ride in a vehicle. Vomits within a few minutes, and continues to do so all the time till there's nothing left, and, it comes out the other end as well. I plan a trip back to East Texas either Thanksgiving or Christmas for a few days and would really like to take him because I know no one here well enough to ask them to look after him a few days and as far as I can find, there's no pet boarding places here either. Is there anything I can give him to help take care of his motion sickness for a 4 hour drive each way?

I have a dog that I really like and he's no trouble whatsoever but, he cannot ride in a vehicle. Vomits within a few minutes, and continues to do so all the time till there's nothing left, and, it comes out the other end as well. I plan a trip back to East Texas either Thanksgiving or Christmas for a few days and would really like to take him because I know no one here well enough to ask them to look after him a few days and as far as I can find, there's no pet boarding places here either. Is there anything I can give him to help take care of his motion sickness for a 4 hour drive each way?
Greybeard, carsickness in pets/dogs is common enough that treatments have been developed. Go to your local small animal vet with your dog, have the vet check them out, and tell the vet what is up. The vet should be able to provide you with some medication/pills that you can give your canine an hour or 2 before you start your trip that will make your trip much, much more enjoyable. Don't rely on any home remedies at this point.

Um, let me rethink what I just said. BEFORE you take the dog to the vet (the car ride is exactly what you DON'T want to do in taking him her to the vet). Call and ask the vet first before taking the dog to the vet.

Yeah, and I would have to pick the poor thing up and almost throw him into the truck. He knows what it would bring and would never willingly get into a vehicle.

(I don't do the 'home remedy' bit for 99% of my endeavors. Old wives do tend to tell tales... )

What the pill will consist of that you get from the vet will be medication for motion sickness (seasickness pills), a sedative/tranquilizer, and/or anxiety medication. Tell the vet about the poor thing's reaction when you try to put it in the truck. THAT is anxiety right there. My guess at this point is there are multiple contributing factors here.

You might want to drive a little slower and/or take straighter, less bumpy routes if that is possible as well. My wife's driving has a similar effect on me as your pet if she is in a hurry on a windy, narrow, hilly road and I happen to be an unfortunate passenger. Her driving on interstates doesn't have the same effect on me.

Last edited:
Ask your vet for Cerenia. That should make for a vomit- free trip.
I read up on it. One of the possible side effects is diarrhea. I'll have to think about that as he already gets some of that when travelling too.
More than anything else tho, I want to make the trip pleasant for him, or at least tolerable.
I shall see what the vet says.

We had a dog that vomited all the time when we first got her. Just worked on taking a lot of short rides so she didn't associate with puking every time. Took about 10 trips for her to get over it. Started with trips around the block….

Definitely check with your veterinarian, but for me, I just shove a valarian and a Benadryl down their throat with my wife's thongs…..or is that tongs?