Stray dog

Help Support CattleToday:

@TexasJerseyMilker maybe he is full blood. I think he still lacks length and height. Compared to your bitch, he looks a little smaller.
My first thought was that he's a cross breed too. I know there are different lines of purebreds, especially in other countries, so that idea can't be discounted... but he has a very different head than any GSDs I'm familiar with. Dogs crossed with GSDs often throw pups with GSD coloring and ears. With that head and his stance I was thinking Chow.

Around here the county shelter euthanizes 49 out of fifty dogs that are surrendered, so that last thing anyone should do is breed unregistered dogs.

Last edited:
View attachment 26379
High value food: A BIG parsnip.. OK, it's just fun to chew on and carry around
Handsome, heavy boned, masculine and stout looking German shepherd from this angle.
Maybe holding the parsnip in his mouth distorts or is deceiving, but his head size and shape in this photo gives me pause to wonder if there isn't a larger breed a couple generations back in the wood pile.

@Son of Butch, quite frankly I like the build of this dog more than of pure GSD. It doesn't seem like he'll ever have hip problems or bloat. Whatever got into his line a few gens back seems to have cleaned out the inherent bad of the pure GSD. He's a handsome fellow.

One mix breed I like is GSD on Blue Healer. It gives you a nice shorter version of the GSD without the back and hip problems GSDs tend to have.

@Son of Butch, quite frankly I like the build of this dog more than of pure GSD. It doesn't seem like he'll ever have hip problems or bloat. Whatever got into his line a few gens back seems to have cleaned out the inherent bad of the pure GSD. He's a handsome fellow.

One mix breed I like is GSD on Blue Healer. It gives you a nice shorter version of the GSD without the back and hip problems GSDs tend to have.
Best dog I've ever had was a GSD crossed with an Irish setter. One of those dogs that was smart enough to anticipate and make plans. He was fine around people he knew drinking, but woe to the drunk stranger approaching my wife.

"@TexasJerseyMilker maybe he is full blood. I think he still lacks length and height. Compared to your bitch, he looks a little smaller."

Libertygarden, it's hard to tell from pictures where you can't see the dog and my bitch side by side, but my Inga is trim and fit and only weighs about 60 -65lbs. German Shephered dogs and bitches are as different built as cows and bulls. People are also used to seeing Amercian show line GSDs, they are more spindly and have collie noses. Here is an American show line looking female from the breed standard article above. She has the short coat type.

Stacked GSD

A Collie nose is when the profile of their heads are more straight from forehead to snout. European working line GSDs tend to havea noticable stop, that is, their muzzles are much heavier and there is a dip where the snout joins the head. They also have a shorter heavier snout with a bump where the cartilage meets the bone. You can see this profile in the feminine head of Inga where she is standing in the back of the truck above. The European working like are in general stronger and heavier made dogs. If Neskep's dog had Chow blood or Husky his tail would be carried up and curled, not hanging down like a horse's tail or a German Shepherd's tail.

"@TexasJerseyMilker maybe he is full blood. I think he still lacks length and height. Compared to your bitch, he looks a little smaller."

Libertygarden, it's hard to tell from pictures...

Stacked GSD

If Neskep's dog had Chow blood or Husky his tail would be carried up and curled, not hanging down like a horse's tail or a German Shepherd's tail.
Arguing about the genetic purity of a stray dog that won't be handled is like a couple of blind guys arguing over the color of a sunset.

We're just speculating... not advocating. If we were advocating it would be premature.

Arguing about the genetic purity of a stray dog that won't be handled is like a couple of blind guys arguing over the color of a sunset.

We're just speculating... not advocating. If we were advocating it would be premature.
I didn't see see anyone arguing, just folks speculating together.

Does he bark when strangers drive up?

I've seen trucks back away from the farm gate when Inga comes out. She has different barks- the woo wwooo bark at another dog in the distance, her play bark, her bark about something is up in the pastures. But she has a very serious super LOUD aggressive bark. She jumps up and runs to the door. If we don't get up and see what it is she comes running to the room we are in, barking and looking in our eyes like Are you Nuts? then runs back to the door.

Does he bark when strangers drive up?

I've seen trucks back away from the farm gate when Inga comes out. She has different barks- the woo wwooo bark at another dog in the distance, her play bark, her bark about something is up in the pastures. But she has a very serious super LOUD aggressive bark. She jumps up and runs to the door. If we don't get up and see what it is she comes running to the room we are in, barking and looking in our eyes like Are you Nuts? then runs back to the door.
Not really, but he does bark at night and will certainly keep the deer out of the garden.. He does come running up to any vehicle that drives in, and he's a husky boy so even without barking you might not want to mess with him

Latest posts