Considering a new pup

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We are wanting to get a new pup probably some time this year.
We have a coming 8 year old female Blue Heeler. Both my wife and I are leaning towards another Heeler.
We've had different ideas though on and off. At one point wife talked about a golden retriever so she could have a dog that might be more friendly towards people. She's back to a Heeler now.
We both like Rottweilers, I've never had one. I like Dobermans had a Doberman German shepherd mix as a child.
We both kind of like the idea of having a watchdog our Heeler is great at that.
Where we have a BnB on property right across from our house we have a lot of people in and out so whatever we get will have to socialized and well behaved.
There's definitely times when a dog with an intimidating presence is good, when we have questionable people on property or when the local drug dealers and users are doing their transactions close by and using our driveway to turn around or pull through. Our little Heeler can put on a good show and back it up off leash if it came to it. She generally likes children and and likes attention, but is not as comfortable around adults especially men. There's only been a couple men besides me that she has taken to.
099A2EF6-9104-460E-A8D8-FCC659118AFA.jpeg

Look into an Australian Kelpie, great working dogs, great with people yet can put on a bit of a show with strangers.

Ken
Thanks, I looked Kelpies up, I like the look and they seem like they'd be a good fit for us. I don't believe there are many of them around here yet. The cattle dogs have been popular here on farms several decades. Now it seems like they are getting more popular with town people too.

Thanks, I looked Kelpies up, I like the look and they seem like they'd be a good fit for us. I don't believe there are many of them around here yet. The cattle dogs have been popular here on farms several decades. Now it seems like they are getting more popular with town people too.
There was a lady on here that had kelpies but I can't remember her name, she actually knew the woman I bought my last kelpie from and I think she had some of her bloodlines. I just did a search on CT on kelpies and that was 76Bar, it says she was from SW Oregon but I haven't see her on here for a while.

Ken

A boy that works at the sale barn had 2 pups yesterday. Couthulas (sp?) A leopard male and a solid black female. When I left, he said he had sold the male, but hadn't sold the female yet. I always have liked those dogs. They aren't so much a herder as , say, a border collie is, but they make good catch dogs. They are also good for tracking. Used a lot by people who catch feral cattle, along with Black Mouthed Curs. Got noses like hounds. They are used a lot down here for hog hunting.

I have kept dogs with the instinct to work cattle for well over 50 years. Some have been a real asset; others a lot of trouble.
For over 20 years I have kept a line of dogs descended from a pup we picked up from a fellow competitor at the state fair, an Australian Shepherd and Border Collie cross. I generally bred back to an Australian Shepherd. They all have an instinct to drive and go to the heel while remaining biddable to the one person who takes care of them, me.
To be honest though, at this point in my life the dog I have now is more trouble than help. I just do not have the work required to keep her satisfied.
Each evening before I pen her up for the night I toss a tennis ball with one of those throwing wands for her to fetch for about 15 minutes. She lives for this and comes to the back door looking for me if I am late. The grand kids love her and she them. If a coyote comes near home she entices the Great Pyrenees to join her in a grand chase as much as two miles from home. Sometimes I tire of looking for her and realize some neighbors may not appreciate her efforts.
Just saying, at this point in my life I may not need more than a good yard dog who loves to eat and lay in the shade, not a working stock dog.

This last week I waiting to get a load of hay. There was a bunch of working dogs keeping me company as their owners had told them to stay at the stack yard. There was 3 Border Collies, 1 Idaho Shag, a Kelpie, a heeler, a Ausie Shepard, and a pit bull cross of some sort. All of these dogs work or they wouldn't be here. And they were all friendly.

There was a lady on here that had kelpies but I can't remember her name, she actually knew the woman I bought my last kelpie from and I think she had some of her bloodlines. I just did a search on CT on kelpies and that was 76Bar, it says she was from SW Oregon but I haven't see her on here for a while.

Ken
I remember that handle, I don't recall seeing any posts from them in a while either.

A boy that works at the sale barn had 2 pups yesterday. Couthulas (sp?) A leopard male and a solid black female. When I left, he said he had sold the male, but hadn't sold the female yet. I always have liked those dogs. They aren't so much a herder as , say, a border collie is, but they make good catch dogs. They are also good for tracking. Used a lot by people who catch feral cattle, along with Black Mouthed Curs. Got noses like hounds. They are used a lot down here for hog hunting.
There's a few Catahoulas around here.
The folks that we board our dogs with have one and a couple Heelers that use in their farm.

We are wanting to get a new pup probably some time this year.
We have a coming 8 year old female Blue Heeler. Both my wife and I are leaning towards another Heeler.
We've had different ideas though on and off. At one point wife talked about a golden retriever so she could have a dog that might be more friendly towards people. She's back to a Heeler now.
We both like Rottweilers, I've never had one. I like Dobermans had a Doberman German shepherd mix as a child.
We both kind of like the idea of having a watchdog our Heeler is great at that.
Where we have a BnB on property right across from our house we have a lot of people in and out so whatever we get will have to socialized and well behaved.
There's definitely times when a dog with an intimidating presence is good, when we have questionable people on property or when the local drug dealers and users are doing their transactions close by and using our driveway to turn around or pull through. Our little Heeler can put on a good show and back it up off leash if it came to it. She generally likes children and and likes attention, but is not as comfortable around adults especially men. There's only been a couple men besides me that she has taken to.
View attachment 42725
Rotties are great dogs, but you should stay away from those that are bred for size. Lots of issues with the big ones...

But of course you need to define what you want the dog to do and be. If you want a tool or a companion... or both... you will be considering different options. Personally, and I've trained dogs professionally for obedience but not for working stock, I prefer male dogs. They don't hold grudges or get their feelings hurt like females do. Back in the day when dogs were expected to perform work and were trained to do a job, males were more popular. That's changed as the focus has become pets. Part of that is that spaying has become more customary.

So good luck with your search. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll adapt to what you get.

Rotties are great dogs, but you should stay away from those that are bred for size. Lots of issues with the big ones...

But of course you need to define what you want the dog to do and be. If you want a tool or a companion... or both... you will be considering different options. Personally, and I've trained dogs professionally for obedience but not for working stock, I prefer male dogs. They don't hold grudges or get their feelings hurt like females do. Back in the day when dogs were expected to perform work and were trained to do a job, males were more popular. That's changed as the focus has become pets. Part of that is that spaying has become more customary.

So good luck with your search. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll adapt to what you get.
I've always preferred male dogs too and this next one will likely be a male. The female Heeler we have now is actually a decent working cattle dog to not have been formally trained.
My male Border Collie that I had for several years, was a good dog, for me but he did hold a grudge he blamed me for everything, and he had a lot of quirks.
This female Heeler does have a few quirks too but we can work around hers without much distraction.
If we go with a Rottweiler that's good to know about the size, as I don't think I'd want a real huge one anyway.

I've always preferred male dogs too and this next one will likely be a male. The female Heeler we have now is actually a decent working cattle dog to not have been formally trained.
My male Border Collie that I had for several years, was a good dog, for me but he did hold a grudge he blamed me for everything, and he had a lot of quirks.
This female Heeler does have a few quirks too but we can work around hers without much distraction.
If we go with a Rottweiler that's good to know about the size, as I don't think I'd want a real huge one anyway.
Yeah, Border Collies are too smart for their own good, IMO. I prefer Aussies.

I wouldn't be too afraid of a Rottie cross if it was the right kind. No terriers, for sure, but a rottie/retriever or cattle dog breed would be something to consider.

Rottweilers are the second most human maulers and killers after pit bulls. Big strong aggressive dogs can do a lot of damage to a person or a child. I'm a German Shepherd person myself. Their intelligence is off the chart and she lays where she can view the the pastures and all the stock including chickens. We have the front yard area fenced and gated and she stays there announcing her presence to any odd balls or unknown vehicles that go by if they slow down especially. There are likely druggies down the road. She can't get out and bite anyone but sure acts like it. The German shepherd presence is instantly noticed. She's classic GSD colored, not black or grizzled like police working line K9s. Yes she needs to chase the Kong on a rope of swim against the current in the river every day. She is the wolf that guards the door at night.
100_1916 (2).JPG
100_0961.JPG

Last edited:
GSDs are great dogs too... No doubt there. I've had both. I can't say I prefer one over the other. There are more Rotties than shepherds, so any perception of bad actors is skewed by that. All big dogs can be a problem if they are allowed to believe they can be in charge and are confused.

There's a special place in my heart for Border Collies, had one for several years.
We think he chased a varmint out of the yard one night and got hit in the road, he was an older dog.
He was a brilliant dog but had a lot of quirks. We were supposed to get him at around eight weeks old, but the folks called and wanted me to take him early at not quite 6 weeks, apparently he was showing aggressive behavior to his brothers and sisters. They said said they had to take one pup to the vet with injuries. I didn't think I much about it, I was a single farmer and not many people around. He was a great dog to me, but was a challenge at times when he wanted to be the top dog over me. That phase was short lived and he accepted me as leader, but was aggressive towards other people as he wasn't really socialized. He accepted my wife, but she knew not to mess with him.
He also accepted my mother since he had known her since I got him as a small pup, but she couldn't get much out of him unless I wasn't around then he would listen to her.

I guess my favorite has always been German Shepherds. Every since I saw Rin Tin Tin as a kid, I have liked them. I am talking about a a pet, outside of bird dogs, beagles, and hounds. You have to work with them if you want them to be not so aggressive with other people, and smaller animals. I have always found them to be very protective, especially with children. When I was a small boy, my uncle had one that had been his dog in the service. He got to keep him when he got out of the Army. Butch was big, silver and black GS. Once we are at my grandma's, and me, my brother and another cousin were out in the yard playing. Anytime we went to my grandmother's my uncle came over to see us, and my aunt and her family would too. Sundays were kinda like family reunion days. Uncle had a house beside my grandmother's, and aunt was across the road, Very rural, no body kept dogs in a pen or on a chain.. they all ran free. Anyhow, we were outside playing, and iust had started to rain. All the grown folks were sitting under Nanny's big front porch. Daddy told us to come up there out of the rain. Several times. I didn't want to, and ignored him a couple of times. Finally Daddy came off the porch with his belt in his hand, and got me by the arm to stand me up and whup my butt. Butch came off that porch and nailed him good. Mostly he attacked the arm that was holding the bet. But it scared all of us. Uncle Bill called him off of Daddy, but from then on, when we went o see Nanny, Daddy would sit in the car and blow the horn til Joe came and put Butch in the barn. Joe and hos wife had their first kid that year. When the little boy was about a year old, they were all sitting around in their screened in patio back of their house, Keith did something, and Joe had to get on to him. He just swatted his butt with his hand.. kid was stil in diapers. Butch came through the screen and nailed uncle Joe. They never said what happened, but next time we went to Nanny's Butch was gone.

Last GSD I had died summer of 22. He was about 12 years old. He was the sweetest dog I ever had, and absolutley was infatuated with kids. My 1st great grand, who turns 4 this week, would be over, and once he started walking, Max made every step he made when he was outside playing. If the baby ever started to go around the front of the house, Max would get in front of him and block him, and kinda push him to go the other way, whining the whole time. One time he actually got him by the hood of his jacket, and drug him back around to the back yard. He would come up to us when ever we were sitting outside, and bring his squeaky rubber toy, for you to throw for him to fetch. He would do this for an hour if your arm could hold out to keep throwing it. He was very smart, like all GSDs I have known were. He used try to catch flies and other flying insects, and one day he caught a bumble bee, which stung him in the mouth. From then on, he would get his squeaky toy in his mouth, and try to use it as club to knock down whatever flying bug he was after!

The day I got out of the hospital 2 years ago, he was so excited to see me. I had been in there for 6 days while they tried to figure out why I had almost no blood in my system. I was sitting outside on the patio, and he wanted me to throw that dinosaur ( squeaky toy). He was so excited. When he would come running back with it, he would try to get in my lap to give it to me. We had been doing this for about 15 minutes, when he came running back with it, and dropped dead with a heart attack. IF I ever get another pet dog, it will be another German Shepherd.

Jip the female Blue Heeler we have now is a pretty good dog. She's watched me move cattle and will help drive them out of lots and also can help drive and head them in lots and barn too, She's the best stock dog I've ever had she doesn't always get it just right but she does end up helping and taking a lot of steps off me.
She's been kicked and flipped head over heels, she yelped and hit the ground growling and went right back. She learned to duck, I've seen her dyck down and turn her head to look up to see if the danger was over and never miss a step.
She was young when my Border Collie died and she really bonded with me after that.
We took her around with us quite a bit when she was a pup and she is more social, but still is protective and defensive when somebody comes into her territory. She's pretty good with children. Wife had a family that were her friends visiting and they had 4 of their grandchildren with them. Some of the kids were playing chess and the grandpa was trying to coach them and he got irritated and loud, Jip jumped in front of him between him and the kids she was growling and when she growls she
slobbers it was quite a show. My wife told him he better stop yelling at the kids snd step away or he would get bit.
We were proud of our little girl for standing up to an overbearing bully.
One time she was out in the yard when a UPS truck came up the driveway. I heard her barking and went out just in time to grab the little dog as she was going up in the truck where it didn't have doors on the vehicle. The driver never did realize what happened.
She's scared of storms and the dark. We have to leave a light on in the house if we are going to be out till after dark. She's ok if we're there but sometimes whines and barks when we turn the lights out at night right at first.
When it storms in the night she tries to get in the bed. She knows she's not supposed to come in the bedroom but she will often lay in the doorway half way.
When wife's mother was visiting us and was sitting in the chair that Jip claimed as hers she stood up and put her paws on her and she said the dog really liked me, we didn't have the heart to tell her not really she's just upset that you're in her chair.
Jip didn't like it when she came to the table with us to eat either, I think she thought she was going to get her part of the food.

Last edited:
We currently have the best all around dog we think we have ever had. She is a total package and will not leave my wife's side while she is outside. Bear is half Golden Retriever, half Dottie and looks like a large black lab. Most vocal dog we have ever had. She will bark, whine and carry on a conversation with me that makes people laugh. She loves the grandkids and when they are here. Ground hog, raccoon killing machine. Chased a male cat from a kitten he had stolen and she returned it to the nest. I almost feel like I am not being loyal to our old boxer I put down about 10 years ago. Really like this cross and like a lot of things, prefer a crossbred over a purebred.

Latest posts