How to help a dying chicken

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasJerseyMilker

Reaction score
I have 6 pet hens. Some have lived to the age of 12. Those were Aracauna green egg laying chickens. They still laid occasional oddly shaped eggs, but heck, they were eggs. Now I have some coming Aracauna 3 year olds now and have added 3 tame and friendly Barred Rocks. I give the eggs away to neighbors by putting boxes of eggs in their mail boxes. This is probably a Federal crime.

In Texas I had an old lady rancher friend down the road who raised cattle, hens and guineas. She knew all about chicken doctoring.

I found this video How to Help a Dying Chicken. I thought it was about euthanizing a hen. No it is not about that,

This video is delightful. My old lady rancher friend knew things like this. For instance, to break a broody hen of sitting plunge her into a bucket of ice water.

I watched a little bit of one of those 'unbelievable' type programs just last night, Dan Akroyd was the host. I missed most of it to go see what the dog was raising heck about but one segment was about a chicken named Mike that lived almost 2 years without a head... It was in the late 40s I believe.

She says to give the hen a warm espom salt bath for 5 minutes. I enjoy the wise guy comments :) but these are pet chickens as well as our and everybody else's egg supply. There may be something to these baths

In the comments section of the video there is a discussion by others who have also done this. A woman wrote having the hen a squatting in anupright position in the water like that (the same position they take when they are actually laying the egg) opens their cloaca. the lady put on a glove, lubed it up with KY jelly and gently inserted a finger and found a very large egg. So working with more lubrication she hen was able to deliver the egg. Others had done this and found a large weird and funky egg that did not pass properly through their 'egg factory' so it got extra layers of egg materials. These were also removed. This is like pulling a calf because those hens were egg bound. There is discussion that the warm epsom water bath relaxes the muscles and invigorates the chicken. You've heard the term Mad as a wet hen. I had an old lady rancher friend in Texas she raised cattle, hens and guineas. She said to break a hen of broodyness dunk her in a bucket of ice water

This lady in the video is so sweet and kind. I love the part where the door opens slightly and a cat's paw reached down to mess with the measuring cup.

Latest posts