The Farm Truck Thread!

Help Support CattleToday:

I put my truck through it's paces this week hauling the calves, about 24,000 lbs total weight, and I never had to drive under 50 MPH unless it was too curvy a road to subject the calves to. No one fell or slipped and they were remarkably clean when they got to the barn. I did have a chuckle about a guy tailgating me for a while, then suddenly I saw him washing the heck out of his windshield... Bet he had fun washing the rest of his car the next time :)

I have the NV4500 manual tranny, might get the NV5600 from a friend in exchange for an engine build.

I've had many people ask me if I was a "Dodge guy".. Like Calhoun, I say Nope, I'm a cummins guy

I like the dodge or now ram truck the best of all 3, but like y'all it wouldn't matter if I hated the truck, I would buy one for the engine. A duramax would be my second choice, but I don't want one. And IMO ford hasn't offered a good diesel In the last 12 years.

My dad's 93 that we're rebuilding is an auto... it's a grocery getter for the most part and won't be towing much, so it's just fine.

Not as fast or as nice as some of the other trucks on here, but It will pull a load of hay

Here is my 02 PSD with 27000 miles on the ticker

newimagepy.jpg

My other Rams had stick shifts and they stunk for me. I can't drink coffee or talk on the phone, or eat while driving, but what I missed most is having my arm around my wife while driving. A stick shift is for single folks. But if I was buying a truck to just pull with a stick shift would be my choice.

We only had three 7.3's Powerstrokes and everyone had minor issues. And about to 300k was their limit when hauling a hotshot trailer regularly. The truck was the best in their day, but the engine could never stand up to a Cummins.

Littlejohn":1hwx334y said:
Not as fast or as nice as some of the other trucks on here, but It will pull a load of hay

I see that I am not the only one using a medium duty. I use a f-800 with a 16 ft bed to haul hay. Works great for me. I hook a 24 ft trailer to it on the fields that I can get into, and just drop the trailer for the tight fields.

highgrit":2ts25jt0 said:
My other Rams had stick shifts and they stunk for me. I can't drink coffee or talk on the phone, or eat while driving, but what I missed most is having my arm around my wife while driving. A stick shift is for single folks. But if I was buying a truck to just pull with a stick shift would be my choice.
I prefer a manual, main reason is about 6mpg better than a comparable truck to mine in a auto, and I like driving one. But in these brand new trucks I think there are some autos that would be just pretty fine for pulling. Don't want one and I won't own a auto until that's all that's offered in new dodges, hopefully I can buy one more new truck before they do like ford and GM.

denvermartinfarms":2psawhqy said:
highgrit":2psawhqy said:
I prefer a manual, main reason is about 6mpg better than a comparable truck to mine in a auto, and I like driving one. But in these brand new trucks I think there are some autos that would be just pretty fine for pulling. Don't want one and I won't own a auto until that's all that's offered in new dodges, hopefully I can buy one more new truck before they do like ford and GM.
I banned all manual's from the farm probably before you were born Denver. To many people couldn't drive them and we were always putting in clutches. I think in the last 25 or so years we've had 2-3 auto's fail.

I agree Jed, I see no advantage to pulling with a manual anymore. I just like driving one. My 07 dodge has 172k on it and it's went through 2 clutches. If I had bought it with the aisin wouldn't have had that and probably wouldn't have touched that transimission yet.

They have Aisin trannies for the autos now? Mazda used to run them (maybe still) and I abused those things hard and they stood up pretty good... On my buddy's car they held up to 875 RWHP on the drag strip, I never got to those numbers though

I hadn't looked at new trucks since 07. I understand they have jumped in price considerably since then. When I bought my Chevy in 07, a manual transmission wasn't available. Can I get one now?

Bigfoot":1fxrrln1 said:
I hadn't looked at new trucks since 07. I understand they have jumped in price considerably since then. When I bought my Chevy in 07, a manual transmission wasn't available. Can I get one now?
You can not get a Manuel in anything except a dodge.

Nesikep":2omfesua said:
They have Aisin trannies for the autos now? Mazda used to run them (maybe still) and I abused those things hard and they stood up pretty good... On my buddy's car they held up to 875 RWHP on the drag strip, I never got to those numbers though
Yes, the aisin came along when the 6.7 engine came out.

I just don't like the feel of an auto tranny, especially when hauling loads. For me it's not a big deal to shift, usually it gets into 5th and stays there for the entire trip

Nesikep":3gs7lrx4 said:
I just don't like the feel of an auto tranny, especially when hauling loads. For me it's not a big deal to shift, usually it gets into 5th and stays there for the entire trip
I'm the same way, I don't believe the autos are bad, I just don't like driving them.

Latest posts