Now that’s a truck

Help Support CattleToday:

We see similar trucks here all the time. The only difference is the forward axle of those drive axles is a drop axle. I think those are a single wheel not duals. But I do know that they haul 64,000 + pounds. And 24 tires instead of 26.

I see hay trucks that have a 24 foot deck on the truck pulling a set of 32 foot trailers. That is 66 3x4x8 big squares that weigh 1,200 pounds each. That is 79,200 pounds.

Seen the troopers stop a coal truck a few months ago. 169,000lb.
I ask the driver the next day what did it cost. He said it cost a phone call and it was all dismissed.

Put enough axles under a truck in Michigan and you can gross 164,000lb legally.

Because all our cattle have to be trucked out of state the trucks are limited to the standard 80,000lb.

We can get to 85,000 kg's here with enough axles. Not with cattle though.
A tridem drive truck with a tridem trailer can haul in the neighbourhood of 81,000 lbs of cattle
The tandem drive trucks with tridem trailers haul about 64,000 lbs +/-

That's a nice rig. Never seen one like that. Woner what the upcharge per mile is, compared to 48,000 pound rig is.

That's a nice rig. Never seen one like that. Woner what the upcharge per mile is, compared to 48,000 pound rig is.
There are a lot of feedlots over in Idaho. The kill plants are at Pasco and Toppenish Washington. Lots of truck loads of fats go by here on the freeway everyday. I have been told that they don't give that haul to a standard 48,000 pound truck. Lots of steady hauling but not to a trucker with a standard size truck.

We see similar trucks here all the time. The only difference is the forward axle of those drive axles is a drop axle. I think those are a single wheel not duals. But I do know that they haul 64,000 + pounds. And 24 tires instead of 26.
The difference is quite large. I stand to be corrected but even the trailer is different than what you get down there.

I imagine a truck like that would be allot more stable hauling logs, pigs, or cattle than a conventional 48k rig. It's amazing how much better our dually hauls than our single wheel and both are F350's. A dual tandem trailer is much better than a single wheel. Heck our 6'6" cattle trailer is better than the 6' wide. The only problem I see with a rig that big is some of the knuckleheads they have operating big rigs these days. It's amazing how many can't back up 50' but will run 80+ mph down the interstate.

I imagine a truck like that would be allot more stable hauling logs, pigs, or cattle than a conventional 48k rig. It's amazing how much better our dually hauls than our single wheel and both are F350's. A dual tandem trailer is much better than a single wheel. Heck our 6'6" cattle trailer is better than the 6' wide. The only problem I see with a rig that big is some of the knuckleheads they have operating big rigs these days. It's amazing how many can't back up 50' but will run 80+ mph down the interstate.
When I did some driving I thought the best part of a tri-drive was the traction. Throw the lockers on all three axles you can climb trees until the bark slips. But you better take them out when you get to the corner or you might skate straight through it. Not sure any of them feel terribly stable on air ride axles with air ride cabs lol

Tri drives were a thing here for a while. Then guys had to start rebuilding that 3rd drive axle and jackshaft, and most decided the cost wasn't worth the marginal benefits. Full lockers on a tandem will take you places you probably shouldn't be around here haha.

Tri drives were a thing here for a while. Then guys had to start rebuilding that 3rd drive axle and jackshaft, and most decided the cost wasn't worth the marginal benefits. Full lockers on a tandem will take you places you probably shouldn't be around here haha.
Ya, that didn't happen here. Been the main drive system for 30 years.

I asked 2 drivers who had triple axle trailer with a drop axle on the truck what they could haul. Both said 62,000 pounds.
I asked some drivers why they had the drop axle. (They aren't allowed to drop them here). They said it was so when they went to the states they could put the axle down and haul close to what they could in Canada with the axle up. So if they were loaded right it wouldn't create a logistical nightmare. They can haul about 64,000 without that drop axle here. A tandem axle group can weigh 17,000 kg's. A tridem axle group can weigh 24,000 kg's.