New Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I am going to start the search tomorrow.
I have downsized so much I am debating on just getting the 1500 series with tow package.
I have sold most of my big equipment and trailers.
My Hanover gooseneck weighs 2500 lbs. I haul maybe 5K pounds of calves twice a year now.
It's going to be an interesting search.
I can't wrap my head around this one. GM has a turbo 4 in their trucks with as much torque as my old 7.3 of 430 lbs.
Technology has come a long way in 21 years, the wife's 5.3 with the tow package has more towing capacity than my F250.

I am going to start the search tomorrow.
I have downsized so much I am debating on just getting the 1500 series with tow package.
I have sold most of my big equipment and trailers.
My Hanover gooseneck weighs 2500 lbs. I haul maybe 5K pounds of calves twice a year now.
It's going to be an interesting search.
I can't wrap my head around this one. GM has a turbo 4 in their trucks with as much torque as my old 7.3 of 430 lbs.
Technology has come a long way in 21 years, the wife's 5.3 with the tow package has more towing capacity than my F250.
Concentrate on what it takes to handle your boat. You pull it much more than the cattle trailer. Lol

Buy a F350 Raptor Platinum dually diesel. You'll have all the bases covered no matter what comes your way.

Buy a F350 Raptor Platinum dually diesel. You'll have all the bases covered no matter what comes your way.
That's not happening!
I am moving away from diesel.
Cost upfront for engine plus 💲 extra for fuel, currently 1.50 a gallon it just doesn't pencil out for some testosterone excitement.
Now if you own a business or doing some serious pulling on a regular basis it makes sense.

I know they have those numbers but I don't think they pull very good. Lots of down shifting and gas burning for a little movement.

I grew up pulling every thing with a Chevy 350. I still think my 98 Z71 pulled better than these new trucks.
I pulled everything around this place with a 2500 350 for 20 years. That was when I was hauling hay equipment and tractors to the field.

I'll set and watch. You can be the Guinea pig. I'll follow your lead, or not.

I wish you good luck. These new trucks are like space ships for rednecks. I would like to buy a very basic truck, without buttons on the steering wheel.

I'd be satisfied to have something with hand crank windows and no butt warmer.

I wish you good luck. These new trucks are like space ships for rednecks. I would like to buy a very basic truck, without buttons on the steering wheel.

I like my '78 3/4 Chevy more every day. While the new ones depreciate and can't be repaired on the farm, mine is gaining value.

Let's see if the 2000+ trucks do as well over time.

I like my '78 3/4 Chevy more every day. While the new ones depreciate and can't be repaired on the farm, mine is gaining value.

Let's see if the 2000+ trucks do as well over time.
I sold my square body truck about ten years ago. Still kicking myself. I've got an '87 Suburban, 3/4 ton 4WD with a granny 4-speed. The 350 TBI still gets 18mpg on the highway, and my wife can haul the groceries and look good doing it! She loves it too, but still complains about the lack of a butt warmer.

Seems crazy to me that with all this new tech that they are only squeezing a few more MPG out of these new trucks than they were 20 years ago.

If I wanted a new truck to put to work, it would have the 6.2 gas.

I have a Ford Ranger with the 2.3L Ecoboost turbo 10 speed and it will lay your head back when you kick it in. Also gets around in these hills/mountains with almost 26mpg.

Last edited:
I have a Ford Ranger with the 2.3L Ecoboost turbo 10 speed and it will lay your head back when you kick it in. Also gets around in these hills/mountains with almost 26mpg. Ford puts the same engine in some of their Mustangs.

I have one too. They scoot right along. Have a 6'11"x 14' utility trailer that I can pull with it. Will see how long that tiny engine can last.

One of my uncles downsized his camper to a bumper pull and bought a new half ton Chevy with the 6.2L. He has been pretty happy so far. He was just trying to get out of the 3/4 ton diesel market for ride and a gas motor. He made the comment it wasn't really cheaper but achieved what he wanted.

What you said plus bench seat and at least a 2000 lb box payload for a Ranger. and for Chrisakes On/Off switches for lights and heaters
not gloves off buttons!

What you said plus bench seat and at least a 2000 lb box payload for a Ranger. and for Chrisakes On/Off switches for lights and heaters
not gloves off buttons!
I hate those soft touch buttons. My wife's Yukon has those, and I have to look to see what I'm doing. I'll take knobs and levers any day.

Her rig has the 6.2 and I love it. Lots more power and it gets the same mileage as my 5.3.

Some companies I do believe still offer base packages, I have a buddy who has a Toyota that's pretty basic and my mom has a Chevy truck with window handles and plain old knobs and levers from 2014(?) with one of the flex fuel systems in it.