New Truck Question

Help Support CattleToday:

10-e-c-dirtfarmer

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a new truck this year. And I'm kinda wonder what to expect. I last bought a ton c/c truck in 05, and got about $2500.00 off list/window sticker, before BS fees (doc fees) and sales tax. And I will refuse to pay any ADM. So I guess my question is, Is anyone getting any discount from list? About what % discount, if any that you got. Just a general idea not to be too nosy.:rolleyes:

Build you one from the manufacturers website and then you will get what you want and know ahead of time the sticker price. You can print out or get a link from the results. Go directly to the sales manager if you can. Take this info and offer and ask for a below sticker written quote. You might be surprised and don't be afraid to counter offer. Try the smaller dealers. They can get a vehicle over their quota if it is a order and are happy to get a sale where they don't have to use their floor stock. This was how it worked for me on November 2021 when trucks were hard to come by. Mine (a Ram 3500) came in in 16 weeks.

I negotiated a $2000 under sticker price from a small town dealer. The big city dealers would do sticker only pricing. When the truck came in the sticker came in over the original number due to price increases and some slight package changes. They pissed and moaned and wrote up the contract over what we agreed on but the sales manager's signature was on the quote so it was honored after I bitched at them.

Once you have your build info, its nothing to just email it to different dealers and ask for a quote. Don't be surprised when they play dumb and say they can't do that. Even the dealer I bought from was not smart enough to do the build like I wanted even though I had the info in hand. Finally the nice old lady that writes up the orders set down with me and she knew how to work the site and knew a trick too save me $100. Its embarrassing in this day and age how dumb some car sale managers are and they are still the same ol' crooks they have always been.

I'm going to buy a new truck this year. And I'm kinda wonder what to expect. I last bought a ton c/c truck in 05, and got about $2500.00 off list/window sticker, before BS fees (doc fees) and sales tax. And I will refuse to pay any ADM. So I guess my question is, Is anyone getting any discount from list? About what % discount, if any that you got. Just a general idea not to be too nosy.:rolleyes:
This is a very different market than ten/twenty/thirty years ago. Corporations have been indoctrinating people into the ideas that make the car industry more money and the public is largely unaware or don't care... which is exactly what the industry wants.

I've worked at three dealerships and learned the ins and outs of how they do business.

Most dealerships don't own the cars they sell. The cars are "floored", meaning the dealership is provided the vehicle and given a specific time to sell it or they get dinged. And no matter what they advertise the price being (including the largely bogus MSRP), there is a "hold back" that guarantees the dealership a profit.

I haven't bought a new vehicle in a long time, but it's been my experience that some dealers will "deal" and some won't. If you find one that will deal, ask about the vehicles they've had for ninety days or more. Those vehicles are easier to get discounts on. You can also ask about the construction vehicles they keep in their back lot. Those trucks will have rubber floor mats and less bells and whistles, but the same drive trains, warranties, and reliability. In fact "options" are one of the biggest scams you can buy. The industry has sold the public on the idea that options increase resale value when in fact the options depreciate at a greater rate than the vehicle. It's not unusual to see a vehicle with a list price for the "vehicle" that is half the price of the vehicle-with-options. And a stripped truck is usually more negotiable on price because they've bought their own sales pitch.

You might also consider buying out of your area. A lot of dealerships will deal over the internet when they won't if you are local. Whatever you do, get the deal you make in writing and don't fall for the, "Oh, we made a small mistake." gambit. Be willing to walk away. Until your money is in their hand... YOU have some power. Once they have your money you have no negotiating power at all.

15% off MSRP used to be fairly easy to negotiate. With the way people have been trained to pay asking price nowadays that's probably not possible.

I've bought two new vehicles for 25% off sticker but it was years ago.

Last edited:
We bought one last August and had to pay sticker price. I have seen a few rebates now though. I was looking at new 4 wheelers today and noticed they are going for MSRP too. Guess it's how it is for the time being.

Once you have your build info, its nothing to just email it to different dealers and ask for a quote.
I called/emailed my build sheet to about 3 dozen dealers before we bought our last new farm truck, sticker was 55k and wound up paying 46k for it. About 2/3 of the dealers replied, with a wide range of pricing. That was 2018, though.

Expect to pay sticker. The inventory is still low and used are still high. I have 2 friends that work at auto dealerships. They won't negotiate because they don't have to

I recently purchased a new 2023 Ram 1500. Out the door price (truck, fees, and taxes) for 90% of the factory sticker price. There has been a supply of new 2022 Ram 2500's and 3500's this spring available for thousands under the sticker. I assume these were 2022 trucks that were waiting on chips. But the supply of those seems to be dwindling. 2022 Ram diesels currently have a $4000 factory rebate. Now would be the time to look for those.

I suggest searching inventory on the manufacturer's website. It is a time consuming process regardless. Plenty of fancy trucks with heated seats and fancy wheels and such available. Basic 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with "farmer only" options are way more limited on the lot. Cab and chassis flatbed may have more opportunity for a deal.

Latest posts