Dozer Question

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
Was doing some clearing today and my left track started locking up. It would lock up going forward then unlock going in reverse. Would work fine for a while then locked up again. Any thoughts? It is a John Deere 850J

How is the undercarriage, are the idlers and rollers good? Any pads bent and is everything in line? If both tracks were locking then might be some concern with the transmission, but only one side you maybe alright there.

Yes sir undercarriage, idlers and rollers look good. That is correct just one side locking up. I just spoke with a dozer mechanic. He is going to take a look Saturday. I'll update on the culprit. Hopefully nothing big

J Series is hydrostatic so no steering clutches or brakes. That leaves trouble in the double planetary final drive (drop the oil and check for any shrapnel) or trouble in the hydrostatic system (if that's the case you need a good understanding of the hydraulic system and some good gauges).

If something in the undercarriage came apart and was physically stopping the track you should hear the hydraulics going over relief.

Either way I would park it until fixed.

I didn't notice a noise. Would catch every once in a while. Then wouldn't go forward on the left track but would go backwards. Worked fine after that for a while then left track completely locked up.
Scary as I hope something simple as a JD850 is not small. A neighbor up the road has a JD750 and it is torn up more than it works. Right now it is beside the road with the engine out probably being overhauled.

Scary as I hope something simple as a JD850 is not small. A neighbor up the road has a JD750 and it is torn up more than it works. Right now it is beside the road with the engine out probably being overhauled.
Turned out to be a broken gear in the final drive. Parts and labor $8500.

Once I asked that question it clicked that 8500 bucks isn't nearly enough to completely replace a final. Haha

For the cost of repairs changing the final drive oil more often is cheap. Inspect the old oil closely. If you notice glitter the bearings are on their way out. If you catch it early you can replace the bearings before breaking parts.

If I was a betting man I would say the other side won't be that far behind unfortunately.

Latest posts