Not an honest used truck out there....

Help Support CattleToday:

4hfarms

Reaction score
So we have been looking for another farm truck for the last 2-3 months. Looking in the used category about $10k. Looked at A LOT of trucks the last couple weeks and I notice the prices getting higher and the condition is just crappy. Pics of like new then suprise... P.O.S! Where are the honest folks? How can people ask 12 or 15k on something 20+ years old and is rusted and full of dents with 150/175k miles. Traveled far and wide to see disappointment.

Starting to look at rebuilt classics for the same money.... How bad do I need another truck anyway?

When a new 1/2 ton is 60k and a 3/4 ton is 75k the prices on used get out of hand. The way trucks have been built the last few decades I'd say if you find a 2003 that isnt wore slap out you'd be lucky. Even then it'll cost you 15-20k. Ridiculous yes but, it's the world we're living in.

Trying to not buy a newer one. New is comfy, old is dependable!
Replacing my 06 F250 with 240k miles on a 5.4L

Spent 22k on a 15 F150 this spring, crew cab 4x4 with the 2.7 turbo. Very clean with 120k miles. I had two or three identical trucks sell out from under me before this one, they go fast in that price range.

I agree with all that has been said, seems like anything with low miles is pretty much priced as new, and anything on the lower end (10k or so) is junk. There is some middle ground like what I got, but that is still a crap load of money for a half wore out pickup. I feel like it was worth 12-15k, but you will never find one for that like it.

While browsing one of the dealers during my search, one had a 2012 F350 diesel 4x4 with 250k miles, and a late 90s Dodge diesel that was clean but nothing exceptional. They were within $1000 of each other, around 15k I believe. Crazy.

It has been a sellers market for the last 7-8 years, anything good sells pretty much instantly. You have to be quick and ready to buy if one pops up.

Last edited:
It seems marketplace is full of Ford diesel F250/F350 King Ranches that are about 5-8 years old. I wonder with as much Electronics as they have if around that age problems are starting to set in. They still want 50k and up. Maybe they are just wanting a new one. Good used trucks are hard to find anytime at a decent price.

Trying to not buy a newer one. New is comfy, old is dependable!
Replacing my 06 F250 with 240k miles on a 5.4L
What is the matter with your truck? Why replace it? Do some work on it and it will go another 200k miles...

I put a new engine and transmission in my little 2000 subaru forester for around $6,000... used ones were bringing that much and no idea of someone elses problems. Put a newer used engine (80,000 miles out of a wreck) in my 2001 subaru outback for around 4,000... they both had over 225,000 miles on them when I did. Figure that they will take care of me for awhile and any quirks I already know...

Our '98 Ford F250 diesel has about 275,000 on it... has a few little quirks but pulls the trailer regularly... the bale truck has over 250,000 on it and the 1999 (or 2000) crew cab has over 225,000 on it and we would take it anywhere... the dually my son bought from my father a few years before he passed has been a pita with all the electronic crap on it.... and some breakdowns...
Keep the newer ones... I'll put money into the older ones...

What is the matter with your truck? Why replace it? Do some work on it and it will go another 200k miles...

I put a new engine and transmission in my little 2000 subaru forester for around $6,000... used ones were bringing that much and no idea of someone elses problems. Put a newer used engine (80,000 miles out of a wreck) in my 2001 subaru outback for around 4,000... they both had over 225,000 miles on them when I did. Figure that they will take care of me for awhile and any quirks I already know...

Our '98 Ford F250 diesel has about 275,000 on it... has a few little quirks but pulls the trailer regularly... the bale truck has over 250,000 on it and the 1999 (or 2000) crew cab has over 225,000 on it and we would take it anywhere... the dually my son bought from my father a few years before he passed has been a pita with all the electronic crap on it.... and some breakdowns...
Keep the newer ones... I'll put money into the older ones...

It's still "just looking" for a truck so far. We did consider updating but after we started to repair it all out of necessity in the last couple months. $1500 front end work, $600 tires, $400 brakes. To fix what's still broken, it looks to be about $10k+/- engine and transmission, electrical problems, cracked windshield, gas tank issues, more front-end work, ujoints, fanbox, had no air for a couple years, back doors broken, driver window and door issues....(plus what we put in it to just continue using it a couple months ago)

I don't mind so much, but my family would rather follow me in her car than ride in my mess.

Would be like a new truck, then it just looks like junk. LOL!

I bought a 17' F350 Lariat 6.7 power stroke a couple years ago for $47k with somewhere between 60-65k miles. The whole Covid thing happened and shortly after I was getting offers for more then I paid.

Hmm…What am I going to replace it with first of all and everything went up in price since I bought it so getting more then I paid does me no good obviously. I think I will keep my paid off truck thank you. I have only put around 5k miles on it since I got it.

Last edited:
It's still "just looking" for a truck so far. We did consider updating but after we started to repair it all out of necessity in the last couple months. $1500 front end work, $600 tires, $400 brakes. To fix what's still broken, it looks to be about $10k+/- engine and transmission, electrical problems, cracked windshield, gas tank issues, more front-end work, ujoints, fanbox, had no air for a couple years, back doors broken, driver window and door issues....(plus what we put in it to just continue using it a couple months ago)

I don't mind so much, but my family would rather follow me in her car than ride in my mess.

Would be like a new truck, then it just looks like junk. LOL!
Okay, basically you have a "wreck" that is still running????;):LOL:.... our trucks have some problems and they are going to need some work, but the bodies are decent and don't have all those problems....still new or completely rebuilt engines are in the distant horizon.

We were considering buying my wife a new vehicle recently, she currently drives a 06 Chevy Tahoe z71 4x4 with 288,000 miles on it. It has the 5.3, leather interior, Bose stereo and most any accessory available at the time other than sun roof. To replace it with one like it would be around 70k-80k, not doing it. We looked at several different models of vehicles in the 30k-40k range, we would be giving up so much just to say it's a new vehicle and if you look at reviews on most new ones there are alot of problems. We have decided to just keep driving the tahoe and spend a little on some minor repairs and put the money we were going to spend on a new vehicle in a CD for now and draw 5-6% interest on it. I drive an 02 chevy z71 with around 270k on it, I will probably drive it forever and just keep replacing parts. The 99-06 GMs with 5.3 engine are hard to beat, very reliable, repairable and plenty of power, just wish we could get a little better fuel mileage but with just the interest for a new vehicle I can buy alot of gas.

I seen an 05 gmc crew cab 2500hd on CL a couple months back. 84000 miles for around 25k. I have the same truck,02 with around 100k more miles. I was very tempted.

Last year, I bought a 1997 F350, 4x4, sgl cab sgl rear wheel, auto( I would have preferred manual trans) It had rubber mats, manual windows and door locks, manual transfer case and manual locking hubs. Just exactly what I wanted except for the trans. Already had a gooseneck hitch in it too. 89k miles. What I didn't want was, he had jacked it up and had big ole wheel and tires on it. He paid thouands of dollars to do this to the truck, . I asked him if he the original suspension, wheels etc, but he didn't. He wanted $15k for it, but I offered him $12k, because I was gonna have to spend a wad putting the truck back right. He came back at $12.5 k, and I bought it. Had it a week when this young dude in one of the bands I manage, as given his grandad's 96 F250. He saw mine and said this was exactly what he wanted to do with his truck when he had the money. His truck had 9.00 x 16 CO-OP Grip Spurs on it. I haven't seen them around in 30 years, but apparently there is a place in Dothan that still gets them. So, I told him if he did the swapping out, and got my front end aligned once he did, I would give my stuff to him.

A month ago, I lost a fantastic deal being stupid. Found a 2010 GMC 1500, 4x4, short bed, sgl cab with rubber mats, manual windows, etc. 350 motor, or whatever replaced it...5.3 maybe? 39k miles showing. New Wrangler ATs on it. Dual exhaust just a little bit louder than stock. Was listed at $10.5k. I called the man and arranged to meet him next day, got the serial number and did a Carfax. It had a minor report of a rear-end accident on it. No frame damage or anything. When I met the man at the mall this truck, (white) was clean as a whistle. I drove it and it rode GOOD. It had Chevy emblems on it, Chevy center caps on the chrome wheels, and a Chevy tail gate. I asked the dude why, and he said the man he got it from ( one owner at the time) said he liked Chevy's better and was changing it out...that the grill was next. I told him that no, it had been wrecked, and thats why the tail gate had ben replaced. He went from $10.5 to $9k without me even trying to get him down. It was nearly dark then, so I told him I'd g0 to the bank in the morning, to see if they would loan that ( I had the money in my pocket, but wanted to make myself sleep on it over night) He said he was going out of town, but would leave the truck at his gf's house close by, with the title and bill of sale etc. To call him tomorrow and he'd get with her to arrange a time for me to get it if I wanted it. Damn horse trader in me flared up that night, so when I called him I said that the bank wouldn't do it, buy I had scraped up $8500 in cash, and would come get the truck. He said no thanks, someone else had came that night, and told him they'd buy it of for some reason I didn't. I have been kicking myself in the butt every day since. I couldn't have very well told him " Hang on, I just found $500 under my bed", or anything, so I negotiated myself out of a very good truck I could have made money on. I was STUPID!

My '06 Chevy 2wd does fine for 90% of the miles I drive. I did need a heavy duty truck for farm related. It took me several months to find one because I wasn't willing to spend more than $10k.
Every time I saw an ad of a good prospect, I was always a day late.

I finally got lucky. A '99 F350 at 320,000 miles, it was older and was higher mileage than I wanted, but it was a fleet truck that spent almost all of those miles on the interstate. It does have some cosmetic warts and hickeys, but is in great mechanical condition. For $9,500 I think I've found my forever truck.
Trucks used for driving hours at a time on the highway don't see that much wear and tear. It is a much nicer vehicle inside and out than my '06 with 240,000 miles. The driver seat didn't even have the common slide-out damage. The power windows must be turbocharged. I have to be sure the dog ain't got his head out the window.

For the amount I was willing to spend for an extra vehicle, I learned that patience and especially willingness to consider older and higher mileage trucks, and then calling as soon as you see an ad. Be ready, with cash, to go fetch it immediately. They are out there but pickin's is slim.

The 6.7 L powerstrokes are great and have tons of power but before buying one with over 150k I'd look at the maintenance on it. They have their issues for sure. Just the leaky oil pan gasket is a 5k fix. Fuel system is 12k, no telling how much to replace the water pump. I've got one and it's nice but repairs are pricey and they don't last like the 7.3 did. I sold a 2007 Dodge C&C w/ cummins and 130k on it 4 yrs ago for 17k. Shoulda kept it. It was a great truck and easy to fix. My neighbor bought it and uses it allot for heavy hauling.