Neigbor looking for farm SXS

Help Support CattleToday:

Polaris 570 has been a work horse for me. Only complaint is when I have the bed feeder in the back it squats bad. They probably make heavier springs for it but it still works well for all the abuse I put it thru.1702945062671.jpeg

Last edited:
One of my neighbors is thinking about adding a SXS.
My son has a Polaris that is handy as a shirt pocket but I don't know anything about the other brands.
I have owned Kawasaki and Polaris both good machines.
Neighbor has a Yamaha it's good until he needs a part.
They all break down in my area it's Kawasaki or Polaris for dealerships .IMG_2949.jpeg
Current model is Polaris 570

Last edited:
One of my neighbors is thinking about adding a SXS.
My son has a Polaris that is handy as a shirt pocket but I don't know anything about the other brands.
I've owned Yamaha, Polaris, and Honda... The Yamaha was a gas guzzler. Honda would get twice the miles on a gallon of gas and Polaris was almost as good. I never had any mechanical issues with any of them, but my impression overall is that the Hondas were better machines.

I have a honda pioneer 1000 that has been extremely reliable. The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have heat and ac. If they came out with one that did I would trade mine in immediately. Lol.

We've had a Polaris Ranger XP 1000 for a few years now. Great machine I can't imagine being without it.
It goes good and can haul or pull quite a load. They are making one bigger than the 1000 now from what I understand.
We looked at a lot of them and settled on the Polaris pretty easy.
I think some others are good machines too but I feel like this Polaris was the best choice for us to get around on muddy hills if need be.

I'm still convinced that Polaris has made more junk over the years than anyone else. Some of the newer stuff ain't so bad, but they've had some real stinkers in the past, I wouldn't own something made by the people that let some of that crap out of their factory.

Gators and Mules are the only ones really made for work. It's pretty evident in how they are constructed.

I'm sure Honda is a fine machine but I'm not sure I'd want whatever gizmo of a transmission that they're currently using. They've always stuck with oddball transmissions, nothing at all wrong with a CVT, there's a reason why everyone else is using them.

We have a Polaris Ranger 1000xp, Kubota 1100c with cab, Kawasaki mule 610, and Kawasaki mule 3010. The Kawasakis are tough and 610 has been bullet proof. The 3010 we pretty much wore out after 16 yrs but we still use it some. The Kubota is great but really slow, it is nice having a cab though. The Polaris is definitely my least favorite. We haven't had a ton of issues with it other than the axles breaking. The main reason I don't like it is the jumpy transmission when trying to hook up a trailer or pull something with a chain. The wife likes it or I'd trade it for a Kubota sidekick.

We have a Polaris Ranger 1000xp, Kubota 1100c with cab, Kawasaki mule 610, and Kawasaki mule 3010. The Kawasakis are tough and 610 has been bullet proof. The 3010 we pretty much wore out after 16 yrs but we still use it some. The Kubota is great but really slow, it is nice having a cab though. The Polaris is definitely my least favorite. We haven't had a ton of issues with it other than the axles breaking. The main reason I don't like it is the jumpy transmission when trying to hook up a trailer or pull something with a chain. The wife likes it or I'd trade it for a Kubota sidekick.
I agree on the 610.
Rat destroyed mine shorted the wiring and burnt up everything electrical on the machine.
I mean everything headlights, taillights, wiring harness, stator, voltage regulator, even the ignition switch.
They definitely need a better fuse system on that model.

I personally own a Kawasaki Mule Pro and we have both Kawasaki Mules and Can Am Defenders at the ranch. The Mules are more basic and very work focused. The Defenders have better storage and ate more plush but can be worked also.

The only two brands I do not mess with is Yamaha and Kubota. We have had Polaris Rangers before but I am not a fan. They always have little stuff wrong and are the most expensive to maintain long term.

With that said, my next sxs will be a Honda Pioneer for the transmission. I have some friends who have had them a good while now and love them. Especially in mountains or sand or where you pull a lot it's holding up better than the cvt. I run clutch kits in mine because what I use them is hell on belts and pulleys.

I'll throw my hat in the ring and recommend the Honda Pioneer. My father in law has 2 and works the snot out of them. The 2016 model currently has 32k+ miles and the 2020 is sitting right around 16.5k miles. Hasn't touched the engines, the sub-transmission had to be replaced on the '16 because somebody forgot to put oil back in it during a change. He says all in all they're pretty easy to work on as well when something needs attention. I just did the upper A-arm bushings in the front today on the '20, not quite a couple hours. He's worn most of the small stuff out on them at some point but the powertrain just keeps goin'.

I had a polaris ranger 1000 crew that was good. It got burnt up in a fire this fall. Gonna probably buy a Gravely sxs before long. It has parts that are stamped Polaris. Friends have a dealership with good support, so Im gonna try to do business with them.

I personally own a Kawasaki Mule Pro and we have both Kawasaki Mules and Can Am Defenders at the ranch. The Mules are more basic and very work focused. The Defenders have better storage and ate more plush but can be worked also.

The only two brands I do not mess with is Yamaha and Kubota. We have had Polaris Rangers before but I am not a fan. They always have little stuff wrong and are the most expensive to maintain long term.

With that said, my next sxs will be a Honda Pioneer for the transmission. I have some friends who have had them a good while now and love them. Especially in mountains or sand or where you pull a lot it's holding up better than the cvt. I run clutch kits in mine because what I use them is hell on belts and pulleys.
My first one was a Honda great machine the dealership didn't survive here for some reason.
This was compounded by you just couldn't order something off the internet to be here tomorrow like today.
Same happened to Artic Cat.
They all seem to be good machines to me if can support them.
Purchase decisions to me were based on how far I would have to haul one for warranty or repairs.

Between us and our parents, there are 3 Polaris Rangers and a Kawasaki Mule. I prefer the Rangers for ride quality, ergonomics and ability to go in mud/snow/mountains, etc. When it comes to spraying, hauling firewood, or something else heavy/slow, I much prefer the Mule. Your neighbors (my in-laws) have a Ranger with the factory doors and power windows, pretty nice.

We've dealt with Valley in Harrisonburg and Ridersville Cycle in Berkley Springs, pleased with both.