The Farm Truck Thread!

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":1aoycx73 said:
Nesikep":1aoycx73 said:
They have Aisin trannies for the autos now? Mazda used to run them (maybe still) and I abused those things hard and they stood up pretty good... On my buddy's car they held up to 875 RWHP on the drag strip, I never got to those numbers though
Yes, the aisin came along when the 6.7 engine came out.

If I'm not mistaken the Aisin you are referring to only came in the cab/chassis trucks and was derated in power compared to a normal 3500 truck.

Calhoun Farm":3n5ci9ni said:
denvermartinfarms":3n5ci9ni said:
Nesikep":3n5ci9ni said:
They have Aisin trannies for the autos now? Mazda used to run them (maybe still) and I abused those things hard and they stood up pretty good... On my buddy's car they held up to 875 RWHP on the drag strip, I never got to those numbers though
Yes, the aisin came along when the 6.7 engine came out.

If I'm not mistaken the Aisin you are referring to only came in the cab/chassis trucks and was derated in power compared to a normal 3500 truck.
Nope, aisin was available in all 6.7 trucks. We have a 2007 6.7 3/4 ton in the family, no question it has one. All cab and chassis trucks had power reduced down to 305hp and 610 torque regardless of transimission, I remember all this well because that's when I bought my truck and I strongly considered a cab and chassis.

denvermartinfarms":1kgl0dkl said:
Any way that was different in 07?

Doubtful, the 07.5/08 6.7 trucks are the same. The 08's had turbo issues though that the 07.5's seem to not be as common. The 08.5 trucks got updated steering, other than that the drive train's are the same.

Dodge or Ram trucks were still behind Ford trucks till the new style 2010 Ram's hit the market. Now Ram has the best truck and engine in the light duty diesel truck market.

highgrit":11zwruf0 said:
Dodge or Ram trucks were still behind Ford trucks till the new style 2010 Ram's hit the market. Now Ram has the best truck and engine in the light duty diesel truck market.

True but It was the 94's (gen 2) that took dodge off the farm and made them more comfortable and stylish and people started driving them for the Looks. I can remember that was the best looking truck I had ever seen at the time.

M5farm":3fujwvfg said:
highgrit":3fujwvfg said:

True but It was the 94's (gen 2) that took dodge off the farm and made them more comfortable and stylish and people started driving them for the Looks. I can remember that was the best looking truck I had ever seen at the time.
I still think the 94 to 2002 dodges are some of the best looking trucks ever.

GACowboy":1pht0q2f said:
Sounds like everyone is for the Cummins. What about the new ones 2013 plus?

Anything newer than 2012 can't be deleted at the moment. So if you are wanting more power get a 2012. From what I've read the 2014's have a torque management issue/dead pedal and it makes the truck seem unresponsive when compared to a Ford/GM truck. I believe the 2013 trucks use DEF fluid, where the older ones have the DPF filter. I have an 08 so I'm not up to par on the new trucks.

I just really like the idea of being able to roll start my truck with no battery in it.. just need a piece of haywire or zip tie.. it's comforting in the bush. That is a reason I'm not going to own a newer truck for a very long time.. I plan on driving the one I have now into the ground, and slowly collecting parts to make a second one.

I have a 2013 Ram 3500 and it uses DPF and has the dead petal feel. But I don't need any more power or speed. I hauled close to 30k behind me at 65 mph and got almost 10mpg. on a 620 mile run. Empty I average better than 20mpg. And that's on paper not the lie o meter. I've passed the speed thing to my son, his Dmax is twin turbo and a bunch of other crap. But my Ram will pull 30k as good or better than his Dmax. And he will admit it, the Cummins is way smoother pulling than a Dura-max.

Another nice use for a farm truck is stockpiling forage!

photo55_zps259cfc79.jpg