Tell me the truth?

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king

Reaction score
Tell me the truth why do you raise brama? Don't say because they do better in the heat because I don't believe they could be any better than mine because in the summer in southern IL it is 98-105 degrees with 100% humidty (now that is hot) and my cattle do just fine so I can't see how bramas could be any better....
So why don't you tell me why some one should raise brama and not something that does as good if not better at producing meat.
Remember i'm just a dum kid that don't know nothing.

sim.-ang.king":2s2me0ht said:
Tell me the truth why do you raise brama? Don't say because they do better in the heat because I don't believe they could be any better than mine because in the summer in southern IL it is 98-105 degrees with 100% humidty (now that is hot) and my cattle do just fine so I can't see how bramas could be any better....
So why don't you tell me why some one should raise brama and not something that does as good if not better at producing meat.
It's not about what my cattle will do up there....but how will yours do down here :?: :?: That's why I have brahman influence cattle.

we have all kinds of insects and texas bred what is your humidty down there in the summer time.... that is what makes it hot not the real temp
It could be 120 degrees but low humidty and not feel that hot but when it is 85 degrees and 98-100% humidty that is hot and that is what most summers are like here, so heat isn't going to hurt my long hair shaggy simmys one bit.

I've spent alot of time in southern Illinois......still do. Trust me it is NOTHING like middle to southern Missississippi, Alabama, Georgia or east Texas. The most miserable, humid, hot and bug infested places that I have ever been is in these areas. In southern Illinois ya'll get several hard frosts and some snow over the winter to kill alot of the insects. Not in the deep south. I live on the border line of the Brahman influence area (southern Tennessee). My angus cows stand in the pond and shade during the hot summer months. They still do well here but if it got much hotter I would be running Brangus. Every place south of Minnisota gets up to 100 degrees at some point in the summer. Most any breed can take that for a short period but when you have hot, humid temperatures like that from the end of April through October the Brahman really shine.

sim.-ang.king":3mpsukx9 said:
we have all kinds of insects and texas bred what is your humidty down there in the summer time.... that is what makes it hot not the real temp
It could be 120 degrees but low humidty and not feel that hot but when it is 85 degrees and 98-100% humidty that is hot and that is what most summers are like here, so heat isn't going to hurt my long hair shaggy simmys one bit.

Why is it so humid where you are located?

I realize you are young and trying to learn, but it appears that instead of asking questions you are always asking for an argument. You might just be better off going to law school than trying to raise cattle.

Brahma cattle, and those other breeds with "ear" make for great heterosis effect when crossed to "european" cattle. That is justification enough even without all the heat resistance and other strengths.

sim.-ang.king":1rxe1x8p said:

My mestizo cattle have lots of brahman influence in them. I'm also looking at buying one two farily pure brahmans to cross with my Charolais heifers.

The heat's not really a problem here. I've never seen it get about the mid 90's at my place. What's a killer is the intensity of the sun's rays. I'm situated only 11 degrees north of the equator. If you think that doesn't make a difference in how hot the sun feels, try it here without sunscreen. :D

Brahman here also do well on subpar forage, are resistent to ticks, and can walk long distances for both food and water.

brahman graze their way toward water to....although other breeds might adapt to the hot humid climate,, it would take lifetimes for them to evolve into what brahman are already equipt to do

sim.-ang.king":1i5v89hd said:

There's lots of discussion on this already. Check out all the dead cows last summer I read about in your area because of the heat wave. 45 days of 100 degrees here in the summer with over night lows much higher than yours. Your cows can lay up in the heat of the day and forage at night. Check your night time temperatures and compare them to the climate here. There is a huge difference. All you are addressing is a day time high. It can be over 100 degrees here at 10 p.m. The temp no go below 80 over night. The old Vets will tell you it is the overnight temps - don't take my word for it.

"Better at producing meat"??? :cboy: Put your cows in my pasture in this climate and lets see which ones are better at producing meat. You can get 10 cents (that's two nickels) more per pound when you sell your steers and I'll still make more money than you will just because of weight.

My females will beat your females hands down on price per pound at the sale barn. Eared females bring more here. Your cows can be had at the local sale barn. I can't afford to buy the kind I run. Super Baldies or F1 Brindles are where it is at here.

5 year old angus 5 months bred were bringing $550 to $800 at the Dublin, TX sale barn a couple of weeks back. Brindled (eared) 5 year 5 months bred range cows were bringing $900 plus. Saw a few going upwards of $1300. You just need to go set through a big sale here to understand. Who knows, you might still be in denial.

If I lived where you do, I'd probably do the same as you. I don't. Cows need to be 1/4 or better brimmer for their calves to thrive here. Seed stock producers still raise Brahman such that we can have Brafords, brangus etc.

Kingfisher":1hewf7sn said:
sim.-ang.king":1hewf7sn said:

Why is it so humid where you are located?

I suspect its from all the bullshite...

sim.-ang.king":3k5rbxmr said:
Sim we do have a lot of heat but also a lot of humidity. At the end of the day you feel like your feet each weigh a hundred pounds and the cows feel the same way. And it's an everyday thing ...not quiet 100% (that's rain) but still high. Go to West Texas and the Panhandle and the humidity drops considerably. The brahman influence cattle just manage to do all the things you want them to do in the climate of this area. Now move them up north and they might not last a week and the same for your cattle coming down here. Markets can change almost county by county and especially from state to state. Our market presently wants some ear on the cattle. No too much but some. Too much will get you docked when you sell them. We do have a lot of angus, limmis, chars and other breeds but they suffer a little more in the summer than the brahman influnced cattle. Hope this helps you understand a bit better.

S-A K,
I'd hazard a guess that I'm well over 100 miles south of you - and I grew up another 400 miles south of here - and even that is relatively far north in the Deep South. It may be hot and humid where you are, but I'll guarantee that it's not as hot and humid for as long as it is down in the Gulf Coastal South, where some Brahman influence, if not required, is certainly a good thing.

Back in the late '80s, we ran a halfblood Simbrah bull on those old Hereford & black baldie cows - best calves, and ultimately the best cows that had ever been on that place. I came out of school convinced that everybody oughta have at least 1/4 Brahman blood in their cattle. But, moving to the 'frigid northland' of southern middle TN, and now western KY - I don't see that I need any 'ear' - and certainly don't need the buyer discrimination that Brahman-influenced cattle get here.

I believe eared cattle still have some advantages in the "north land" of the midwest. Studies have shown that anything above 80 degrees F begins to adversely affect cattle's productiveness with out a little ear influence.

Also, TB is right, 100% humidity is rain.

Shoot for maybe 80%

whitewing":1kghqh03 said:
My mestizo cattle have lots of brahman influence in them. I'm also looking at buying one two farily pure brahmans to cross with my Charolais heifers.

Oh PLEASE Don't--- unless your Charolais And Brahmans have different temperaments than the ones around here do--- thats a LETHAL cross.
They are my worst nightmares to see coming off the trucks.

Latest posts